19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 03:35:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iarnr^d ^ireann. Planning a trip to the Emerald Isle.  (Read 8064 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2009, 06:31:39 »

I am planning to pop across the Irish Sea for a short break in late Sept/early Oct.

I have never been on a train service in Ireland save for one short journey on the DART many, many years ago. I would like, ideally to travel on a longer distance service out of Dublin with a first class option and maybe make my trip a two city/town break. I've done Dublin enough times, time to see a bit more of Ireland!

This is therefore a shout-out to all, asking for any tips or experiences travelling on Iarnr^d ^ireann. What would be the best line for scenery? Which places on IE's network are worth visiting? Places to avoid? etc.

I've looked at IE's website, so have some idea about fares and times, but any personal experiences and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

bignosemac

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 13:14:39 »

I've only made three trips out from Dublin by train, once to Galway, once to Killarney and once to Wexford. All three were very pleasant journeys, but the Wexford trip was the best as it hugs the east coast for much of the route which is quite dramatic in places, and you have mountains (including the Wicklow mountains) to savour the other side of the carriage. The infrastructure is, erm, 'basic' and was a delight to observe, as was the chuggy old diesel that hauled our train - though that was 6 years ago, so I don't know if there's anything more modern on that route now. Trouble is, there aren't many trains, and I think you might struggle with a 1st Class option.

Both the other routes are a pleasure too though as the scenery round Killarney is fantastic, though if you want a route that has a frequent service (or what Iarnrod Eireann considers frequent!) then Galway is probably the best. Even then, not all trains have 1st Class.

Hope that's of some use?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 15:55:51 »

Get a PENZANCE - DUBLIN CITY (CIE» (Coras Iompair Eireann - Holding company for Irish transport companies - about)) rte HLYHD STENA CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers)

Valid via London and such exotic locations as Scotland (I shall clarify) so long as you travel on the ferry from Holyhead to Ireland.

AND best of all, its only ^56 Adult Anytime Return Wink
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 19:19:22 »

Valid via London and such exotic locations as Scotland (I shall clarify)

Penzance to Holyhead via London.   Certainly would fail the old any reasonable rule.  Surely not a permitted route !!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 22:52:10 »

I'm fairly certain it has an outrageous value route. As I said, I shall try and clarify.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 23:12:11 »

Would agree with II about the Wexford line - a Brunel creation, though mercifully shorn of the timber bridges which caused a nasty accident or two in the line's early days.

First class comes in various guises, depending on the stock used - loco-powered push-pulls principally to Cork and Belfast - or the Korean-built 22000 class intercity dmus on most other long-distance IE routes (but not Dublin-Wexford-Rosslare, which is standard class only) these days. Basically you pay a supplement on top of the standard fare for each leg of the journey. The supplement varies depending on the stock used. If you skim through the pdfs of the route timetables on the IE website, all trains with first/premier have a 1 at the top of the column, next to the 2 indicating standard. If it's just a 2, then it's a standard class only service.

If you were to go on the line out to Killarney and Tralee, again another worthwhile run, there's only one through intercity a day to and from Dublin which would be in the dark by the time you got out to Kerry at that time of the year, so not great for viewing the scenery, unless you did it in reverse, which is an early start from Tralee.

Couple of Irish railway websites you might want to take a look at:
http://irishrailcargricersassociation.yuku.com/directory
http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 23:20:01 by willc » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 23:30:57 »

Get a PENZANCE - DUBLIN CITY (CIE» (Coras Iompair Eireann - Holding company for Irish transport companies - about)) rte HLYHD STENA CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers)

Valid via London and such exotic locations as Scotland (I shall clarify) so long as you travel on the ferry from Holyhead to Ireland.

AND best of all, its only ^56 Adult Anytime Return Wink
requires a mandatory ferry reservation though!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 23:33:30 »

So basically the same concept as a London International CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers), except with the boat standing in for a Eurostar.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 23:47:19 »

Would agree with II about the Wexford line - a Brunel creation, though mercifully shorn of the timber bridges which caused a nasty accident or two in the line's early days.

First class comes in various guises, depending on the stock used - loco-powered push-pulls principally to Cork and Belfast - or the Korean-built 22000 class intercity dmus on most other long-distance IE routes (but not Dublin-Wexford-Rosslare, which is standard class only) these days. Basically you pay a supplement on top of the standard fare for each leg of the journey. The supplement varies depending on the stock used. If you skim through the pdfs of the route timetables on the IE website, all trains with first/premier have a 1 at the top of the column, next to the 2 indicating standard. If it's just a 2, then it's a standard class only service.

If you were to go on the line out to Killarney and Tralee, again another worthwhile run, there's only one through intercity a day to and from Dublin which would be in the dark by the time you got out to Kerry at that time of the year, so not great for viewing the scenery, unless you did it in reverse, which is an early start from Tralee.

Couple of Irish railway websites you might want to take a look at:
http://irishrailcargricersassociation.yuku.com/directory
http://www.railsceneireland.fotopic.net/

Thank-you Willc. Currently Cork looks like a possibilty. First class option and I can go and kiss the Blarney Stone! I do have a bit of Oirish blood so I can join the tourists on a bus to Blarney. I am also considering Europe's 'slowest inter-city' service on the 'Enterprise' up to Belfast. Warp factor 0.00000001 Mr Sulu Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 00:54:18 »

Warp factor 0.00000001 Mr Sulu Grin

Warp speed works on a logarithmic scale, so that's only 0.0000000000000006696 miles per hour. I've been on a train to Gunnislake that went faster than that.

In the original series v = c * w^3, so 60mph is roughly warp factor 0.00447, and 25mph is wf 0.00334. (Star Trek: The Next Generation used a slightly different calculation, so when Jean Luc Picard was in charge 60 and 25 would be 0.00768 and 0.00591 respectively. I only mention it because ST:TNG was set in the 24th Century, which is roughly when the line to Tavistock is likely to be reopened.)

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 01:15:36 »

Warp factor 0.00000001 Mr Sulu Grin

Warp speed works on a logarithmic scale, so that's only 0.0000000000000006696 miles per hour. I've been on a train to Gunnislake that went faster than that.

In the original series v = c * w^3, so 60mph is roughly warp factor 0.00447, and 25mph is wf 0.00334. (Star Trek: The Next Generation used a slightly different calculation, so when Jean Luc Picard was in charge 60 and 25 would be 0.00768 and 0.00591 respectively. I only mention it because ST:TNG was set in the 24th Century, which is roughly when the line to Tavistock is likely to be reopened.)

it's normally a quote directed at oneself, but may I suggest TJ, that: 'You get your coat'?  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 10:15:51 »

going North from Dublin will be difficult following this averted disaster yesterday ...

A train driver who averted a potential disaster involving hundreds of passengers by alerting authorities when he saw a viaduct giving way said last night his legs had turned to jelly with the shock.

Around 20,000 passengers on the Belfast to Dublin and northern commuter rail line will have their rail journeys disrupted for at least three months after the "extremely serious incident" when part of a viaduct fell into the sea in the Malahide estuary outside Dublin minutes ahead of trains packed with hundreds of commuters.

www.independent.ie

Video report ...

www.rte.ie
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:28:00 by RailCornwall » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 10:40:19 »

going North from Dublin will be difficult following this averted disaster yesterday ...

A train driver who averted a potential disaster involving hundreds of passengers by alerting authorities when he saw a viaduct giving way said last night his legs had turned to jelly with the shock.

Around 20,000 passengers on the Belfast to Dublin and northern commuter rail line will have their rail journeys disrupted for at least three months after the "extremely serious incident" when part of a viaduct fell into the sea in the Malahide estuary outside Dublin minutes ahead of trains packed with hundreds of commuters.

www.independent.ie

Video report ...

www.rte.ie

Wow, a lucky escape for all concerned. Top marks to the driver for his prompt actions.
Looks like I'll have to scrub 'Enterprise' from my plans. Don't fancy travelling on Europe's slowest international rail-replacement bus!!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 19:57:21 »

Change of plan....it's now a short break on the Isle of Man.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 22:34:32 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Irish Rail 'knew Malahide viaduct unsafe' - report

An independent report into the collapse of a railway bridge near Dublin has found that Irish Rail was warned the structure was unsafe, but did not act.

Tragedy was narrowly avoided in August last year when the Malahide viaduct collapsed moments after a crowded passenger train had just gone over it.

An Irish Rail investigation in March found the bridge collapsed due to erosion at the seabed.

This then undermined a supporting pillar.

Monday's report from the Railway Accident Investigation Unit found that safety inspections at Irish Rail were not adequate, that engineers were not appropriately trained and that although scouring at the base of a pier had been identified in 1997, the company had failed to act.

It is almost one year exactly since the Malahide viaduct collapsed narrowly avoiding major loss of life and causing three months of chaos for commuters on the Belfast-Dublin railway line.

Responding to the report the Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey said it gave "a detailed and worrying account of the inadequate maintenance and inspection regime"

Irish Rail saID it accepts the findings, and that major changes have since been made to ensure passenger safety.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: