Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:33:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What links ...  (Read 3846 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 23, 2009, 20:25:48 »

1. Portsmouth Arms to Stromeferry?

2. Bruton Station to this photograph of Iona Abbey:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3110937464_9a24648a63.jpg

3. Great Bend, Ontario to a certain Wiltshire Town - but only from 10th to 12th July this year

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:28:58 »

At risk of being pedantic, should that be Grand Bend, ON? The only Great Bend i can find is in Kansas (insert Dorothy joke of your choice here).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:50:33 »

At risk of being pedantic, should that be Grand Bend, ON? The only Great Bend i can find is in Kansas (insert Dorothy joke of your choice here).

At the risk of appering careless in my original post - sorry, yes.   Grand Bend, Ontario.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:37:06 »

My answers (in no particular order) are I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, Jazz Festival, and 1,012.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:23:19 »

My answers (in no particular order) are I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, Jazz Festival, and 1,012.

1012 is correct - would you care to explain to the other members?   

A Jazz festival might indeed link one of the other pairs, but it wasn't the link I researched when setting the question ... so again, if you could elucidate, that would be great.   

And I'm at a loss as to whether your answer of "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" relates to a radio program or your state of mind.  Judging by the cApItAlIsAtIoN your used, and your reputation for accuracy in such things, I think you mean the radio program ... and once again it would appear that you have found a link that I hadn't.  I don't think that Iona is a valid destination on Mornington Crescent unless you're playing the third diagonal obfurscated rule, and of course in that case Bruton would be invalid in the same round as anywhere north of the border.

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:57:46 »

Well 1012 is the number of passenger journeys recorded at both Portsmouth Arms and Stromeferry for 2007/8 according to National Rail, still working on the other two!
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 13:17:31 »

1012 is correct - would you care to explain to the other members?   

RTS has just saved me that job Smiley

A Jazz festival might indeed link one of the other pairs, but it wasn't the link I researched when setting the question ... so again, if you could elucidate, that would be great.   
It's probably wrong, but the Marlborough Jazz Festival ran from 10th to 12th July, and Grand Bend sounds like it might be a bit jazzy

And I'm at a loss as to whether your answer of "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" relates to a radio program or your state of mind.

State of mind: it was three in the morning, and I really had no idea! I did consider igneous schist, but only because it sounds a bit rude

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 14:14:57 »

1,012 ... yes ... DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Passengers.  Grand Bend isn't a folk festival ... but you are indeed looking at some sort of event there.  Bruton and this Iona are linked by a date.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 17:05:23 »

Bruton station opened in 1856.  The photo of iona abbey which hangs in the Scottish National gallery was taken (or at least first displayed) in 1856 also
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 17:15:22 »

Bruton station opened in 1856.  The photo of iona abbey which hangs in the Scottish National gallery was taken (or at least first displayed) in 1856 also

Correcy ... and you'll find it's the same day of the year too.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 03:48:03 »

1 September...

Still puzzled about Grand Bend, ON...only event I can find on their website for July 10-11 was a race-for-life-type event to raise funds for cancer research.

Huh

Oh hang on.

Smiley

There was one in Corsham the same weekend... God bless the Interweb.

Did I win...?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:53:04 by inspector_blakey » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 06:46:30 »

1 September...

Still puzzled about Grand Bend, ON...only event I can find on their website for July 10-11 was a race-for-life-type event to raise funds for cancer research.

Huh

Oh hang on.

Smiley

There was one in Corsham the same weekend... God bless the Interweb.

Did I win...?  Cheesy

I may have been a bit obtuse ... the link I had / have was in an abbreviation. xxx is an innovative field at the intersection of mathematics, computer science, library science, and scientific publishing ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 14:26:08 »

[snip]

2. Bruton Station to this photograph of Iona Abbey:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/3110937464_9a24648a63.jpg

[snip]

From a search I have just done ... I have learned than "Iona" may be found within "exceptional".   And Iona is, truly an exceptional place to visit.  I visited Iona in - it must have been - the early 1970s - a day trip from Oban as a late teenager, taking my Grandmother on The King George V from Oban, sailing around Mull into the bay at Balamory, close to Staffa to see  Fingal'a Cave and then to be landed by tender onto Iona where we had a brief couple of hours to see the Abbey and enjoy the gentleness / quietness / atmosphere of the island.

A much more recent visit, taking Waverley from Oban, was a lovely day out ... but we were frustrated from landing because the swell meant that they wouldn't risk the transfer into the tenders to get ashore.  Ruefully I though back 30 or 40 years; there was a swell then too, but a more relaxed attitude.  I remember saying to Gran (in the 80s at the time, but game for an outing) "don't worry - there will be a couple of burley sailors to help you down" and her repost afterwards of "the one on the left wasn't all that burley".

Iona is one of those places on my "bucket list" to get back to.

Researching something else, I came across a proposal from early 2016 in the Oban Times for a railway to link Craignure (where the Isle of Mull railway once terminated) to Fionnphort for the Ferry to Iona:

Following the simple survey on which the route above is based it is expected that landowners will be approached for a more formal survey in the summer of this year with the intention of applying for a Light Railway Order over the winter of 2016/17. Subject to approval construction work should start in the summer of 2017 with a planned completion date and introduction of service for the season of 2020.

More a dream than anything that was ever likely to become reality, but I would love to take a ride on that train. And yet - many a word written in jest has a seed or three of sense.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: