Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 01:21:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)  (Read 81248 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 11:12:52 »

Anyway ... here's the start of the forthcoming (28th July onwards) timetable for the 231 bus route, which becomes the only frequent bus linking Bath via Corsham to Chippenham;   232 services have become 231s.   The half hourly (5 and 35 from Bath) of the 08:05 and 08:35 continue all through the day, same intermediate timings.

Don't forget the Faresaver X31 route, which also runs half-hourly during weekday daytimes linking Bath via Corsham to Chippenham. This takes the alternative (232) route through Corsham, and also goes via Chippenham railway station. See quote below for more details:

One of the most interesting aspects of the forthcoming First Bus 231/232 & 271/272 changes is that rather than competing directly through Corsham and Melksham, First and Faresaver will be operating distinctly different routings on these services through both towns from 28th July.

Despite this though, competition will still be fierce between First and Faresaver on point-to-point journeys such as Bath-Chippenham, Bath-Corsham and Corsham-Chippenham on these routes. However, in a fascinating twist, whereas Faresaver had previously gained quite a reputation for running their buses a few minutes ahead of First's, the forthcoming changes turn the tables so that First's 231's will be a few minutes ahead of Faresaver's X31's in both directions.

The Faresaver X31 timetable can be found here.

All this evidence points to the sense of (re)opening selected stations on existing lines where the capacity is there and will be there for the next 15 to 20 years.   For the truely local / in town / nearby villages, totally agreed that the bus is best.  But even for some of them, the opening of selected intermediate stations makes a big difference. Rudloe to Swindon would be 15 minutes faster via Corsham station than via Chippenham - 45 minutes versus an hour.

P.S. If you attract all these extra people onto the Corsham to Bath train, you'll also help Bath with its traffic problem on the A4 approach.  Some of the extras will be new travellers, others will be transferring from their cars, typically one person per 4 seat vehicle queueing all the way in!

Indeed, and a further way of doing this which would tie in with that idea is the park and rail station scheme currently under consideration at Bathampton, near the junction there. See article here.

It would certainly also be more acceptable to those in both the local area including neighbouring villages such as Batheaston & Bathford and also those further afield who were so passionately against the proposed bus-based Park and ride scheme at Bathampton Meadows, which was shelved in 2011:

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Bathampton-Meadows-safe-park-ride-pledges-council/story-17515448-detail/story.html#axzz2XyEJl9wH

http://www.wellho.net/mouth/2857_Park-and-Ride-at-Batheaston-will-it-solve-Wiltshires-Ills-.html

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Promise-stopping-trains-Oldfield-Park-Keynsham/story-18653169-detail/story.html#axzz2XyEJl9wH

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2013, 14:06:12 »

Back on topic -

A NEW multi-million pound railway station for Cullompton is unlikely to be funded until 2023 at the earliest, it has emerged.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/story-19524631-detail/story.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 15:10:20 »

It's like anything though, isn't it - if the oft-used phrase "third party funding" were magicked up to put towards Cullompton station, it would be a heck of a lot shorter than that.

I once met a leading Network Rail figure at a meeting in Bristol, and remarked that I had been studying their route plans. His response - "You must be the only person who does then" (his words I hasten to add - I know a number of CoffeeShop members do).

One of the most interesting aspects of doing so is noticing how a project can go from absolutely nowhere to the top of the list seemingly overnight, if the money suddenly appears from behind the sofa - Bristol City Council's decision to fund the Clifton Down turnback is an example that particularly sticks in my mind.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2013, 14:06:56 »

Just spotted this on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-23389343

Wellington railway station reopening talks held
------------------------
Talks have taken place over plans to reopen a railway station in Somerset that closed almost 50 years ago.

Wellington Station, like thousands of other stations across the country, was closed in 1964 under the so-called Beeching cuts.

Taunton Deane, Mid Devon and Devon county councillors met Network Rail on Friday evening to discuss reopening rail links between Exeter and Taunton.

Proposals also include reopening Cullompton station in Devon.

Mark Edwards, deputy leader at Taunton Deane Borough Council, said: "If an economic case can be built for it and it is feasible to do it, then we can look at the modelling of the timetables. There is potential for this."

The new service would need to complement the mainline timetables.

Mr Edwards added that "cross-border working" would be vital to make it happen.

The plans are also being supported by the Taunton Deane MP (Member of Parliament), Liberal Democrat Jeremy Browne.

A spokesman for Network Rail said: "As with all major plans such as this, it is vital that the scheme promoter undertake a feasibility study that explores funding stream as well as the impact on the existing infrastructure and time-table."

Officers will start exploring the economic case and then talks will also continue with Network Rail over the time-table modelling.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 14:53:53 »

Interesting, as the mix of feasibility study and timetable modelling suggested in collaboration with Network Rail is exactly the same kind of work that has been carried on the TransWilts over the last few years.

On the upside, this has helped unlock the door to both LSTF (Local Sustainable Transport Fund) funding and inclusion in the priced option section of the GW (Great Western) franchise renewal documentation, leading to a greatly increased chance of the introduction/restoration of an appropriate TransWilts rail service.

On the downside:

1) Despite all this the TransWilts still has no confirmed agreed date for the introduction/restoration of an appropriate rail service.

2) Although the TransWilts studies do take into account the possibility of new stations along the route at (say) Wootton Bassett, the scheme is in no way dependent on the opening/reopening of such stations. In contrast, the Cullompton/Wellington proposals are (obviously) entirely dependent on the opening/reopening of such stations, which does make things rather less straightforward.

Finally, one lesson that has been firmly learnt on the TransWilts is the absolute need to keep as many of the interested parties united and on board as possible, and I do feel that some of the recent quotes I've heard on the Collompton/Wellington issue suggest that may not be entirely the case there.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2014, 00:47:37 »

From the Mid Devon Gazette:

Plans to re-open Cullompton Station over half a century after Beeching shut it

Cullompton Station after it was closed by the Beeching cuts

Cullompton railway station could be reopened and a similar ^park and change^ stop created at Crediton.

Cullompton residents have been campaigning for years to have the station reintroduced. Now, Devon County Council has issued its strongest statement yet in support of the idea.

Proposed development in the area means there will be increased demand for rail services, a transport committee was told last week.

Devon council officers are in talks with Somerset counterparts over travel plans and have now said a study to assess the number of potential passengers will be commissioned.

^Working with Somerset, we intend to carry out a study this year to determine likely patronage at a potential Cullompton station, including connectivity between intermediate stations along the whole line between Exeter and Bristol,^ a Devon council spokesman said. ^Before a station can be provided at Cullompton we need suitable local train services that can serve it. This need for better connections on the main line between Taunton and Exeter has been raised with the Department for Transport. We will now be seeking to secure these services in the next franchise which is expected to commence in 2016.^

The old station on the Penzance to Paddington line closed in 1964, a victim of the notorious Beeching axe. The site is now a mixture of motorway services, wasteland and trade units.

The county council wants to develop the Cullompton and Crediton stations as ^park and change^ sites, where drivers from the wider area will be encouraged to leave their vehicles free of charge.

Crediton Station, on the Exeter to Barnstaple branch line, already has around 60 free parking spaces.

And John Phillips, of the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Rail Association, said that although more would be welcome, overcrowding was a more pressing issue. ^Peak-hour trains are very busy and we have been lobbying for more carriages to be introduced,^ he said. ^The trouble is that the Class 150 units (two-coach trains) used are in very short supply. It is perhaps because of this that one can generally find a space at the current car park at Crediton. If it is redevelopeed that would be welcome, as it would help relieve the congestion on the A377. Also, electrification of lines elsewhere in the country means more 150 units will become available. As long as the station plan is then marketed properly I am sure it would be a good idea.^

Linda Holloway is one of the councillors who has been calling for Cullompton Station to be reopened. ^It is certainly fantastic news that we have the county council behind us,^ she said. ^The key issue will be to provide the trains at the right times and going to the right places, otherwise we^ll never get people out of their cars.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2014, 10:46:44 »

Good grief, there seems to be an element of forward planning going on!

"Proposed new development" means s106 money. Infrastructure costs here would presumably be a platform loop on the north-bound side and reinstatement of the platforms, plus access and car park works, which would come out of different jam jars at the council treasury. There would surely also be government and / or EU» (European Union - about) development funds. All that is needed for the moment is to set a firm of consultants to work on the study of likely patronage. They could use Atkins, who found no case for a tram link into Bristol City Centre, but found that Bust Rabid Transit would rid the city of almost all private traffic. Tell them that you want a positive result this time, and I'm sure they'll happily provide the necessary evidence.

Crediton car park, somewhere I know fairly well, is probably empty for two reasons. Firstly, the trains for Exeter at peak hours are often packed by the time they reach Crediton. Secondly, a lot of people live within walking and cycling distance of the station. In the first case, the car asserts its pull, with its comfy chair, radio, and refreshment facilities (polo mints), leading to a drive to work. In the second, the car stays home.

The older I get, the more cynical I become, but this Cullompton idea could be a goer.

Now, please!
DavidBrown

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2014, 12:06:06 »

I'd put my mortgage on this story being linked in some way to this story from a couple of days ago. Seems like just too much of a coincidence for them not to be.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2014, 12:24:05 »

Without doubt DavidBrown! Willand is closer to Tivvy Parkway, but 1500 (average) homes on each site is a bigger development than it sounds at first hearing. Nice to see they are thinking transport first.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2014, 13:14:12 »

.... which would come out of different jam jars at the council treasury.

There and I thought they kept their money in Cocoa tins. Jam jars would be a health and safety hazard if you dropped them!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2014, 14:21:55 »

Tins are also a safety hazard, with sharp edges.  Wink

Many local councils also experienced problems when their investments in Iceland were ... err, frozen, a few years ago.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2014, 11:22:37 »

From the Somerset County Gazette:

New train station planned for Wellington as council bosses earmark four-year opening

Prospective conservative MP (Member of Parliament) for Taunton Deane, Rebecca Pow with Cllr Mark Edwards at the disused Wellington station, which was axed as part of the infamous Beeching cuts 50 years ago. Photo: Alain Lockyer.

People could be able to catch a train from Wellington to Taunton and Exeter as soon as 2018, it has emerged.

A new station is likely to be built to accommodate the town^s rapid expansion as council bosses look to make a railway service a reality.

Mark Edwards, deputy leader of Taunton Deane Council, believes a self-sufficient station is more feasible than re-opening the disused one due to several complications, such as the close proximity of canisters from the Swallowfield factory.

He said: ^This is a real opportunity to open a Metro rail link serving people in Wellington. Rather than just talking about and having an aspiration, I think there is a genuine chance this could be up and running in four years^ time.^

Some 500 homes are set to be built at Longforth Farm and the development is likely to increase demand for better transport links.

It is hoped the new station ^ featuring self-service ticket machines and a potential swipe card system similar to the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) used in London ^ will make life easier for those who work out of town.

Cllr Edwards, who has been working with Mid Devon District Council, Devon County Council, Somerset County Council, the Local Enterprise Partnership and Network Rail, said a business case is almost complete and work is due to start on looking at its practicality.

He added: ^We^re not sure exactly where we^d put the station yet but the key is it has to be accessible. It could open up opportunities for people who work in Taunton, Cullompton, Tiverton or Exeter.^

Wellington is thought to be the largest town on the Penzance to London Paddington line without an operational station and the plans have been backed by prospective conservative MP for Taunton Deane Rebecca Pow.

She said: ^I sent surveys to 20,000 households in Wellington and Taunton and the majority said they want a station. This shows it would not just benefit Wellington but that it^s a two-way thing. When I knocked on doors in Wellington it was clear that the main problem is congestion. With hundreds of extra houses on the way, a new station could be vital. I^m in the process of sending more detailed questionnaires to those living in the town.^

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2016, 20:27:58 »

An update, in the form of a video news report, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Campaign to reopen a railway station in Somerset

A campaign has been launched to reopen a railway station in Somerset.

Wellington Station was closed during the Beeching cuts in the 1960s but, as Clinton Rogers reports, there is a new drive to reinstate the railways in Somerset.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2016, 09:44:01 »

An update, in the form of a video news report, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Wellington Station was closed during the Beeching cuts in the 1960s but, as Clinton Rogers reports, there is a new drive to reinstate the railways in Somerset.

Just in time for the local elections?

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2016, 13:12:54 »

Just in time for the local elections?

If so, then in many ways it's the perfect time to get it aired in public. Surely there must be a few members of the campaign switched-on enough to realise that we are at the start of planning/lobbying for CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) investment, not to mention that there's shortly to be enough DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) stock available to extend Cardiff/Taunton's through to Exeter. And of course the more traffic the line sees, the better the business case for extending electrification from Bristol to Exeter, which would improve the business case for the Berks & Hants, and even the WoE.

As for the old duffer who says he wouldn't use it, I'd wager once he and his wife had used it a few times for a day out they'd be converts.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: