Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:22:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)  (Read 80237 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2022, 18:46:24 »

Does the development of the design and business case really need £5 million?

No, but that's what it will cost to tick all those boxes. If the award had been "only" £50,000, it would show that there was no chance. £5 million at least shows a certain degree of willingness, especially as NR» (Network Rail - home page) is involved.

Now, please!
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2022, 11:05:51 »

You'd not want to see all the consultants starve, would you?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2022, 13:12:20 »

You'd not want to see all the consultants starve, would you?

Fair point, I suspect that's how a large chunk of it will be swallowed up!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2022, 10:17:25 »

A point that doesn't seem to be mentioned is what is the effect on current services having to serve two new stations. How many train paths do they take up. It should be remember that both Cullompton and Welling had 2 through lines with their platforms on loops allowing slow trains to be overtaken by faster services. perhps they should be provided with a bidirectional line speed through line to allow overtaking.

Another issue as has been mentioned is how do people get to the station, as has been said public ransport needs to be ready before the houses are occupied.

Further if we going all electric how many charging ppoints will be provided in the carpark? How would they be allocated it would be unfair if the first people there plugged in and remained plugged in all day denying others the chance to recharge perhaps we'll need carpark "shufflers" to move cars around.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2022, 10:53:16 »

I’m sure the £5m will allow those questions to be asked and addressed!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2022, 20:49:04 »

A point that doesn't seem to be mentioned is what is the effect on current services having to serve two new stations. How many train paths do they take up. It should be remember that both Cullompton and Welling had 2 through lines with their platforms on loops allowing slow trains to be overtaken by faster services. perhps they should be provided with a bidirectional line speed through line to allow overtaking.

Another issue as has been mentioned is how do people get to the station, as has been said public ransport needs to be ready before the houses are occupied.

Further if we going all electric how many charging ppoints will be provided in the carpark? How would they be allocated it would be unfair if the first people there plugged in and remained plugged in all day denying others the chance to recharge perhaps we'll need carpark "shufflers" to move cars around.

On the last point, I would suggest not having any charging points at all. The worst performing electric car would manage a 5-mile radius there and back journey for a commuter catching a train to work every weekday for a fortnight on a single charge at home. It might sound heretical, but we don't have a petrol pump at every station.

For the middle point, a regular bus service from the growing suburbs through Wellington would be lovely but unlikely without some pump priming money. Failing that, the 22/22a stops there half hourly at peak periods.

As for the first point - that will take a substantial slice of the £5 million to work out, and if it comes to the conclusion that loops are needed, that will be the end of the story.

Now, please!
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2022, 13:35:43 »

A point that doesn't seem to be mentioned is what is the effect on current services having to serve two new stations. How many train paths do they take up. It should be remember that both Cullompton and Welling had 2 through lines with their platforms on loops allowing slow trains to be overtaken by faster services. perhps they should be provided with a bidirectional line speed through line to allow overtake.

I'm sure i have mentioned this on another thread or another site. 
The way a service is likely to be done is by stopping the Cardiff- Penzance and extending the Cardiff-Taunton service to an extended platform 2 at Exeter St David's. GWR (Great Western Railway) said they have the money for this but not all staff have moved over to the new depot accommodation.
A hourly Devon Metro service to Taunton using the platform space vacated by the extended Cardiff trains maybe from Axminster would supplement the service giving each station a half hourly service. Axminster-Exeter would also benefit from a half hourly service.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2022, 18:24:01 »

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/20255134.fate-new-somerset-railway-station-plans-horizon/
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2022, 17:14:36 »

Still very much on the cards, according to Devon Live:

Cullompton train station on track for 2025 reopening
Network Rail is leading projects to reopen stations at Cullompton and Wellington "with a view to opening both stations in 2025."

Cullompton Train Station

The proposed new Cullompton railway station is still thought to be on track for a 2025 opening. At a full meeting on Wednesday Mid Devon District Council leader Bob Deed told councillors that Network Rail is leading projects to reopen stations at Cullompton and Wellington "with a view to opening both stations in 2025."

They closed in the 1960s as part of the now-infamous Beeching axe that slashed the rail network in Britain. Talks have been ongoing for years about restoring the stations that closed at a time when cars were becoming more affordable. However, people are now being encouraged to use more public transport to reduce emissions and congestion.

Cllr Deed added that unlike Wellington, which is part of a large scale greenfield housing development at a new location, Cullompton station will be mainly on its previous site. Network Rail therefore doesn't think it will need planning permission.
(Continues at source, with adverts)

Now, please!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2022, 21:28:41 »

I wasn't aware, until reading the above, that the Wellington proposal is for a new station at a different location to the old station site. Can someone let me know whereabouts the proposed station would be.

I have friends who live in Wellington, fairly close to the old station site, and I've been looking forward to the day when I could visit them by train.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2022, 22:33:54 »

I wasn't aware, until reading the above, that the Wellington proposal is for a new station at a different location to the old station site. Can someone let me know whereabouts the proposed station would be.

I have friends who live in Wellington, fairly close to the old station site, and I've been looking forward to the day when I could visit them by train.

The proposed site is somewhere between the Longforth Farm housing estate and Nynehead Road. The land there is earmarked for mixed use development.

Google Maps dropped pin
50°59'18.3"N 3°13'27.1"W
https://goo.gl/maps/soy9bazwmB9m1skL8

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2022, 18:23:07 »

A bit of news from the Somerset County Gazette:

Wellington Station plans to be submitted in December
24th November

By Phil Hill
@GazettePHill
Chief reporter

Rebecca Pow with plans for the proposed Wellington Station

A NEW train station in Wellington is moving along the tracks with a planning application set to be submitted within days.

A dedicated team is already working on the project and the proposals will be lodged with Somerset West and Taunton Council in December.

If the local authority grants permission, the new station would be built on a site adjacent to the Longforth Farm estate.

Construction work could begin as early as 2024 and the first trains could potentially stop at Wellington the following year.

Taunton Deane MP (Member of Parliament) Rebecca Pow has just chaired the latest meeting of the steering group looking at bringing the station to the town, along with a further station in Cullompton.

Ms Pow said: "Things are progressing well.

"Great Western Railway have set up a dedicated team to work on the project and the formal planning application will be going into Somerset West and Taunton Council in December.

"This region is working on the most new stations of anywhere in the country and a survey was done recently amongst the people of Wellington and it showed that the number one priority that people wanted was to get a rail station.

"We’ve made the business case, but it really is important that people want to support this as well.

"What I’m going to do next is that I’ll be requesting a meeting with the new Rail Minister, Huw Merriman, to make sure that he’s fully aware of what we need and that we keep our whole project on track.

"We’ve had money from the Restoring Railways fund as a priority and we need to just keep this going so that we can actually start to deliver the project potentially by the end of 2024/early 2025.”

(Continues at source with lots of annoying pop-up adverts)

"A NEW train station in Wellington is moving along the tracks" is one of the daftest amongst many daft attempts at bringing a bit of railway terminology into a story. Nevertheless, Network Rail is onboard with the idea of putting a non-moving station alongside the tracks. I haven't seen a similar story about Cullompton station recently, but assume that extra stations either side of Tiverton Parkway would need to be considered simultaneously from the railway point of view.

Good news, though. Both Wellington and Cullompton are expanding fast, and the demand for commuter services in both directions will be considerable.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2022, 22:13:25 »

More good news - Rebecca Pow has been nominated in this year's competition for Best Picture of a Local MP (Member of Parliament) Holding an Aerial Picture of a Field in the Field.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2023, 13:18:06 »

From Wellingon Weekly News

THE case for Wellington’s new railway station has been put by local MP (Member of Parliament) Rebecca Pow directly to Chancellor Jeremy Hunt.

Ms Pow met personally with the Chancellor ahead of his Autumn Statement to discuss the Wellington rail proposal.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2023, 17:16:15 »

Rebecca Pow former BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reporter,generally on country file type stories.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: