I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:06:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reduction in number of trains available on the network ... Lymington Branch  (Read 16474 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 18:40:40 »

I'm sure the 2013 deadline could b extended. What are heritage railways with Mark 1 stock and older doing?

Perhaps apply for a light rail permit. (unless that limits the trains to 25 mph)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 11:25:49 »

SWT (South West Trains)'s current dispensation to use Mark 1 stock expires March 2013, so there always was a chop date. Not sure if it was ever widely publicised though.

A check of a few of the other operators listed seems to have all mainline registered Mark 1 stock end dated together, I haven't seen anything yet about another stay of execution for the railtour operators, but it may be there somewhere.

Paul

Not sure if it was 'widely' publicised, but I don't think that it was being masked away at all ... suffieciently know for it to have come to my attention a while back.  Which is why it's a bit of a surprise to see them being cut three years early.

There are also cutoffs on the 125s, 142s and 143s in (? forget exact date ?) ten years time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 00:15:36 »

Just a reminder (and I did consider starting a new topic, but remembered that this branch had appeared in a topic a number of months ago), that this is the last week of the slam-door stock on this line. I took the opportunity to ride the line today. The trains I caught (1229 ex Brockenhurst and 1416 ex Lymington Town), were lightly loaded and I would say half the pax were those doing what I was doing, and just riding the rare unit. On Saturday evening, a number of events have been lined up to mark the end of the slamdoor sets. So with warm weather forecast, what better excuse is there than to take a trip to the New Forest and Hampshire coast? Incidentally, the waiting room at Lymington Town station has an interesting exhibition of old photos and information on the branch line; it's worth getting to the station well ahead of the train and spend time to enjoy those items.   
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 00:30:24 »

Thanks for posting that, Steve!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 16:29:14 »

The Lymington 158 Scandal is IMHO (in my humble opinion) another reflection of privatisation failure.

There was supposed to be a "market" in train leases - the price depending on demand.

1. Why aren't dmu's going up in price?

2. In BR (British Rail(ways)) days, capital stock was written off over 10 years (the equivalent of a lease charge). After this the stock was free of capital charges and so made cascading such as for electrification, a useful option.

3. The BR/SR(resolve) 1967 stock like its predecessors, had very few moving parts, so apart from brake blocks, tyres and bearings, and t. motors, needed little maintenance (just as well).

The CIG's were a very civilised way to travel.

OTC

MrC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 18:03:19 »

3. The BR (British Rail(ways))/SR(resolve) 1967 stock like its predecessors, had very few moving parts, so apart from brake blocks, tyres and bearings, and t. motors, needed little maintenance (just as well).

Well, not quite. They needed frequent hands-on maintenance to keep them at their best and items such as camshafts and current limit relays weren't the easiest to set up, maintain and calibrate. Easy enough when spare parts were plentiful, labour relatively cheap and quite a few engineering areas around that could handle them. The Lymington CIGs are due heavy exams and that's probably why they're being phased out now. Even simple things like the doors needed a fair bit of TLC (three letter code ) to keep them problem-free (and why the Lymi CIGs needed to be sent out on regular turning turns).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 18:56:31 »

Thanks for your comments, MrC - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 14:51:54 »

Welcome too, Mr C.

You're quite right about the PCM units and the doors, of course.

Both planned and tweaking maintenance of only two units, having 50 year old technology, would be unwelcome to a modern depot as it would involve odd (for today) skills and resources. Perhaps a niche provider, such as Knights at Eastleigh, might be up to it, although they did get cold feet with 1881.

SWT (South West Trains) did achieve great things with these emu's, with reliabilities well in excess of the most modern (and German) stock.

Regards,

OTC
MrC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 18:09:27 »

I think one of the other things that scuppered the Lymington CIGs was the downgrading of Bournemouth Depot when the 442s left, leaving Wimbledon as the only other place for most maintenance.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 14:51:45 »

From RailwayWorld . net

Returning to the 5¼-mile Lymington branch line this weekend, almost a decade after the end of heritage traction, I was interested to see how the designated community railway had fared in the absence of the slam-door stock that had made it an enthusiast mecca from 2005 until May 2010.

and

Given the self-contained nature of the line, and the fact that its passenger traffic is overwhelmingly made up of leisure travellers, it seems a missed opportunity not to try to replicate the success of the 2005-10 period and to find some suitable heritage 3rd rail traction to run on the line – at least at weekends.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 17:32:37 »

Linda, The Lymington Flyer is currently housed on our railway at Chinnor.  She gets an outing on our unelectrified railway using our air-braked diesel locomotives. I am sure the owners would love to run her up and down her former haunt as nature intended - using an energised third rail  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 18:14:58 »

Linda, The Lymington Flyer is currently housed on our railway at Chinnor.  She gets an outing on our unelectrified railway using our air-braked diesel locomotives. I am sure the owners would love to run her up and down her former haunt as nature intended - using an energised third rail  Smiley

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 20:15:39 »

I am confused Grahame - or just missing your point.  Please could you expand.

BTW (by the way): Is that your recently severed locks in your avurtar?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: