21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 04:47:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Person hit by train near Bodmin Parkway - 25 April 2015  (Read 16696 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 08:51:11 »

Two friends of mine were passengers on that service at Bodmin. I wont be posting or commenting what they told me, but it certainly sounded unusual. it was from them how I knew of the incident before journey planner.

We got told there had been a fatality at Bodmin when arriving into truro. I have to say they were very swift in organising replacement taxis. I wonder because it was a xc service the fgw station staff thought oh well send the bill to them?

I believe the bill would go to network rail. My friends finally got put in a taxi just after midnight and said the meter was well over ^100 when they got back to Redruth.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 09:13:40 »

Interesting and reflects a discussion on another thread - so NR» (Network Rail - home page) do pick up the bill and compensate FGW (First Great Western) in these circumstances - I wonder why therefore FGW stridently refuse to refund customers who seek alternative arrangements via taxi in similar circumstances under the catch call "consequential losses" line - although having said that on both occasions I've been caught up in fatality related delays and caught a taxi FGW have refunded me after I've written in requesting it so maybe it's just a device to put people off? Certainly I always advise people to claim if they've jumped in cab during disruption whatever the circumstances.

Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 12:25:04 »

A well known taxi firm in truro was kept busy that night the boss was only saying 5 mins before they were kept busy it seems very quiet according to the driver I had
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 14:52:39 »

Interesting and reflects a discussion on another thread - so NR» (Network Rail - home page) do pick up the bill and compensate FGW (First Great Western) in these circumstances - I wonder why therefore FGW stridently refuse to refund customers who seek alternative arrangements via taxi in similar circumstances under the catch call "consequential losses" line - although having said that on both occasions I've been caught up in fatality related delays and caught a taxi FGW have refunded me after I've written in requesting it so maybe it's just a device to put people off? Certainly I always advise people to claim if they've jumped in cab during disruption whatever the circumstances.

I would expect a invoiced based account is used with approved taxi firms. They certainly don't pay cash there and then for taxis they use. Its a lot easier to have one big invoice to pay rather than loads of small fares.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 17:36:20 »

I would expect a invoiced based account is used with approved taxi firms. They certainly don't pay cash there and then for taxis they use. Its a lot easier to have one big invoice to pay rather than loads of small fares.

No doubt - so next time I am stranded in Reading due to rail delays I will find out which these approved firms are, and rather than paying them myself I will tell them to charge it to FGW, who can take it out of the compo they receive from NR, it will save a lot of faffing around/admin on both sides with me asking for refunds and them sending me vouchers!  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 17:41:54 by TaplowGreen » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 17:42:07 »

No doubt - so next time I am stranded in Reading due to rail delays I will find out which these approved firms are, and rather than paying them myself I will tell them to charge it to FGW (First Great Western), will save a lot of faffing around/admin on both sides with me asking for refunds and them sending me vouchers!  Smiley

Rail staff have authorisation forms which form an audit trail, which the taxi firms need to have to make the charge back. Otherwise people stranded in Reading could each grab themselves a taxi, and you'd end up with four taxis all going to [insert place] where one would do.   And you would want to help be sustainable and share, wouldn't you  Wink.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 18:06:12 »

No doubt - so next time I am stranded in Reading due to rail delays I will find out which these approved firms are, and rather than paying them myself I will tell them to charge it to FGW (First Great Western), will save a lot of faffing around/admin on both sides with me asking for refunds and them sending me vouchers!  Smiley

Rail staff have authorisation forms which form an audit trail, which the taxi firms need to have to make the charge back. Otherwise people stranded in Reading could each grab themselves a taxi, and you'd end up with four taxis all going to [insert place] where one would do.   And you would want to help be sustainable and share, wouldn't you  Wink.

Absolutely, whilst Network Rail staff fly to meetings rather than get the train, I'd be more than happy to "slum it" and share a cab to get to mine!  Wink
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 21:41:12 »

Absolutely, whilst Network Rail staff fly to meetings rather than get the train, I'd be more than happy to "slum it" and share a cab to get to mine!  Wink

Government and other groups are crying out for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to save money.  They also make them pay full fare for trains and they still have to factor in the cost of staff travel time and overnight accommodation.  Don't blame NR blame the system.

In many ways we get the railway the system dictates. 

And of course remember that under successive governments extra costs for NR have been paid for through fares more than from government. So if you don't want NR to save money don't complain when the fares go up.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 23:45:43 »

Purely in the interests of continuity, I've now moved a few previous posts from a discussion of an unrelated incident, and merged them here.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 00:55:19 »

From the Western Morning News:

Chef at Rick Stein's crushed by train after running for coffee

A chef at Rick Stein^s restaurant was crushed to death by a train after chasing it to rescue his coffee.

Kyle Kusano-Puffett, from Padstow, died on April 25 after going out drinking with a friend.

The inquest into his death heard how he had climbed out of the train window when it arrived at Bodmin Parkway station and put his coffee above the door.

But as the train departed, he realised he^d left his hot drink behind and chased after it ^ only to fall under the carriage.

The hearing was told Mr Kusano-Puffett suffered severe head injuries and rib fractures as a result of being crushed.

Dr Paul Smith, a toxicologist, found Mr Kusano-Puffett had 219mg of alcohol on his blood ^ the drink-drive limit is 80. He also had 235mg of MDMA per 100ml of blood at the time of his death.

Coroner Barrie van den Berg recorded a verdict of accidental death.

^I come to the obvious conclusion that this was an accident. Sometimes when you have a few drinks what seems like a good idea then is a tragic idea later.^

Mr Kusano-Puffett^s father, Roger Puffett paid tribute to his son. He said: ^We lived an adventurous life. I don^t think that life will ever be idiot proof. People drink, my son drank and it^s unfortunate.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: