05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:16:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladbroke Grove (Paddington) train crash - 5 Oct 1999 - anniversaries, memories and publications  (Read 31640 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 20:31:26 »

I thought the program was reasonably balanced, and didn't try to dispute the view that rail safety has improved dramatically since Ladbroke Grove. (Only 1 passenger fatality due to an accident that was the fault of the railway since May 2002 is a remarkable improvement.)

Out of interest, how many HST (High Speed Train)'s stop at Slough? Was the stop put on specially by any chance?

Varies between every half hour an hour. Mainly every half hour off peak
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 20:57:30 »

Thanks. I didn't realise that Slough was so well served by HST (High Speed Train)'s.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 22:27:56 »

Thanks. I didn't realise that Slough was so well served by HST (High Speed Train)'s.

Yep, Cotswolds and Oxford fasts stop (bar the peaks).

I assume that Slough commuters jut have to get a stopper in the peaks!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 16:51:06 »

Some of the following post here were becoming rather 'off topic', so I have split them into a new topic on 'Slough commuters', at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5488.0

I felt this was appropriate, in view of the very sensitive nature of this particular topic.  Sad

Thanks, Chris.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bulliver

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 19:54:32 »

Two major facts were excluded from most media reports on the Ladbroke Grove collision, following a train passing a signal at danger. 

In normal railway practice, where one running line joins another, there is a set of trap points (or derailer) which diverts an errant train away from the route it would otherwise have taken.  Such trap points would be followed by a sand drag into which the train would plough and come to a very sudden but, depending on its speed, relatively safe halt.  There were no such trap points (or derailer) at the end of the line controlled by Signal 109, either because they had never been installed, or they had been removed to save the maintenance cost of such a once universal safety feature. 

On 23rd June 1999 at Winsford, Cheshire a train on a slow line passed a red signal, ran onto a fast line and was hit in the rear by another train ^ because there were no trap points at the end of the slow line.  In this collision, just months before Ladbroke Grove, no one was killed or badly injured.

Both at Winsford and at Ladbroke Grove, the presence of such points would have averted the collisions

The other piece of normal railway practice missing was the way the facing points immediately beyond Signal 109 were set when 109 was at red.  Had they been reversed to take any down train passing the signal at danger onto the track to the right ^ which was also a down line ^ then no head on collision would have been possible.  As at Winsford, the worst that could have happened would have been two trains going the same way colliding.

Another question concerns the failure of the driver of the down train to respond to three AWS (Automatic Warning System) (Automatic Warning System) alarms before accelerating past Signal 109.  The driver of the train that passed 109 at red would have heard and cancelled those three warning horns telling him the signals he was approaching were at caution or danger.  Instances of unconsciously cancelling AWS (and its decades old GWR (Great Western Railway) predecessor Automatic Train Control) warnings are legion; that is why ATP (Automatic Train Protection) (Automatic Train Protection) ^ which cannot be over-ridden in the same way ^ has now been installed on most if not all trains, even preserved steam engines, running on the national network.

As in most railway accidents, it was human errors that led to the Ladbroke Grove crash.  Whilst some of those errors occurred on the day, others were built into the system waiting to be part of it.  Even a fully automatic railway would still have been designed by humans.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 20:06:23 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, Bulliver - and thank you for posting such an informative summary.

Chris.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 00:22:38 »

that is why ATP (Automatic Train Protection) (Automatic Train Protection) ^ which cannot be over-ridden in the same way ^ has now been installed on most if not all trains

No it hasn't. ATP is only active on the HST (High Speed Train) fleet on the Great Western Main Line and on the Chiltern Line's Turbo and 168 fleets.

What was fitted nationally was TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) (Train Protection and Warning System) - which is an enhanced version of AWS (Automatic Warning System), offering many of the benefits of ATP up to 75mph or thereabouts, in terms of stopping a train passing a signal at danger, but full ATP it ain't.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 01:21:08 »

TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_Protection_&_Warning_System

ATP (Automatic Train Protection): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Train_Protection

AWS (Automatic Warning System): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Warning_System

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 12:55:02 »

In normal railway practice, where one running line joins another, there is a set of trap points (or derailer) which diverts an errant train away from the route it would otherwise have taken.  Such trap points would be followed by a sand drag into which the train would plough and come to a very sudden but, depending on its speed, relatively safe halt.  There were no such trap points (or derailer) at the end of the line controlled by Signal 109, either because they had never been installed, or they had been removed to save the maintenance cost of such a once universal safety feature. 

This is called 'flank protection', and was discussed widely at the time of the original imquiry. Are you just pointing out that it wasn't mentioned by the media during the tenth anniversary reporting?Derailers or trap points seem to be more useful at the end of loops, where a train cannot be diverted onto another line.  I'm not so sure about them being feasible in multi track bi-directional areas, except on the outer lines.  I expect the Cullen Report covers it, it'll be online somewhere...

Interesting point about 'GW (Great Western) ATP (Automatic Train Protection)', I believe that when the current kit it is life expired it will be removed and there are no plans for a like for like replacement. It is only on the GW as an experiment after all.  So there may be a gap between ATP removal and ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) roll out. I wonder if there'll be a public hue and cry?

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 14:56:40 »

Interesting point about 'GW (Great Western) ATP (Automatic Train Protection)', I believe that when the current kit it is life expired it will be removed and there are no plans for a like for like replacement. It is only on the GW as an experiment after all.  So there may be a gap between ATP removal and ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) roll out. I wonder if there'll be a public hue and cry?

Paul
Correct although we do have TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) into Paddington now (I assume that this was only installed because of anticipated ATP removal - it is currently not neccessary is it?)

One point about TPWS is that although it is only works at up to 75 mph, an improved version TPWS+ works at up to 100 mph and has been installed at high risk signals.  Also even if TPWS doesn't manage to stop a train completely, it will still manage to slow it significantly and thereby reduce the damage of any crash.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 15:44:21 »

Also even if TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) doesn't manage to stop a train completely, it will still manage to slow it significantly and thereby reduce the damage of any crash.

Yes, and that's a point that is all too often forgotten. The incident at Didcot North Junction last year is a prime example.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 16:59:50 »

Also even if TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) doesn't manage to stop a train completely, it will still manage to slow it significantly and thereby reduce the damage of any crash.

Yes, and that's a point that is all too often forgotten. The incident at Didcot North Junction last year is a prime example.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), NR» (Network Rail - home page) were critised after the Didcot North jnt incident because the site was "high risk" but TPWS+ had not been installed.  I'd only be happy to see obsolete ATP (Automatic Train Protection) removed if proper risk assessment is carried out first and Didcot North Jnt type high risk signals are properly identified and addressed.  With Didcot N. the risk assessment had been done and TPWS+ identified as a mitigating technology - BUT it had not yet been installed.

It would be a great shame if we are only prepared to learn from tragidies like Ladbroke Grove and incidents like Didcot North (were an HST (High Speed Train) was 13 seconds away from collission with a Turbo) are ignored.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 17:38:26 »

ATP (Automatic Train Protection) isn't particularly reliable and quite expensive to install. Not to mention the fact that it causes delays as it restricts the speeds drivers can drive at, even if a green aspect can be seen on the horizon, the driver cannot accelerate until passing the ATP loop (I think!)

TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) on vulnerable signals works on all other lines in the UK (United Kingdom)!
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 23:31:31 »

Am i correct in thinking that a couple of Carriages from the Southall crash were involved in the Ladbroke Grove crash? or am i thinking of something else?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 09:56:33 »

TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) on vulnerable signals works on all other lines in the UK (United Kingdom)!
But only if NR» (Network Rail - home page) installs the equipment which it didn't do at Didcot North Junction
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: