Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 05:31:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ealing Broadway Fatality - 8 October 2009  (Read 19048 times)
Rogang

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2009, 20:45:03 »

Just a quick word of support to the driver and on-board staff on the 7:29 Swansea-Paddington, and station staff at Ealing Broadway following this morning's fatality. Too many people witnessed a particularly nasty suicide, and  thoughts go to everyone involved.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 17:59:35 »

Indeed, Rogang: thank you for posting here so sympathetically about this sad incident.  Sad

From the Ealing Gazette:

Woman killed by train

A young woman was killed yesterday (Thursday) at Ealing Broadway station, after apparently stepping in front of a train.

She was hit shortly before 10.30am by a First Great Western express service from Swansea to Paddington, which was not due to stop at the station. Onlookers were stunned as staff scrambled to deal with the aftermath of the incident - evacuating the platform and shutting down trains and underground services. Rail and Central Line services were disrupted for around an hour.

Paramedics, fire crews and large numbers of police officers were sent to Ealing Broadway, but nothing could be done to save the victim. She is believed to have been killed instantly by the impact with the train. An air ambulance was placed on standby but was not despatched.

The incident is not being treated as suspicious.

One traveller said station staff had moved quickly to deal with the incident, as people waiting for trains at the busy interchange looked on in horror.

A First Great Western manager said he was ordered to evacuate the station immediately after the collision.

One man, who helps his friend run the Modern Food stall on one of the platforms, said: "It's a real tragedy that this young lady went under the train. I saw them carrying out body bags - it was terrible. I'm from northern Iraq and I've seen war and death, but it's still so horrible to see a waste of a precious life."

Another worker at the nearby Costa coffee stall said: "I was busy serving coffee, so I did not really see anything. Then we were told to leave, but there wasn't really a panic. All I heard is that it was a young woman."

Services were severely disrupted following the incident and passengers trying to use the Central Line were directed to use the 207 bus.

The station was eventually handed back to the control of Network Rail at 11.40am.

At the time of going to press, police had not named the dead woman.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 13:30:29 »

I was on this service (coach A). It arrived into Paddington at about 11.50 (10.02 from Reading, non stop).

I was too far back to see/hear the tragedy but there was a full brake application from line speed (125 mph) just before Ealing B, stopping well before Acton M. There was a very prompt and accurate announcement (a fatality, not an incident) with frequent updates. The buffet served free hot drinks (but wouldn't sell food). There was some damage reported to the train (it looked like the coupling cover was bent) and it was initially planned to reverse to Ealing B to detrain customers. Evidently all was fixed sufficiently as the set proceeded to Paddington at about 40 mph.

I've been at several similar 'incidents' and this was handled perfectly with BT Police etc clearing up in about 70 minutes. (They had to walk the track and train with plastic bags). I've known it take 4 hours. I asked the platform manager to pass to the driver our sympathies and thanks for his prompt actions. He was said to be coping well and being offered help.

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 14:11:47 »

I was too far back to see/hear the tragedy but there was a full brake application from line speed (125 mph) just before Ealing B, stopping well before Acton

Just for the sake of accuracy, there's been a 30/50 speed restriction on the Up Main at Hanwell for the last two weeks (new track, ballast and sleepers), so after accelerating away from that the train would not have been doing any more than 80mph.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 15:16:13 »

The buffet served free hot drinks (but wouldn't sell food).

i wonder why not?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 15:42:12 »

i wonder why not?

They aren't required to?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 15:46:04 »

i wonder why not?

They aren't required to?

My guess would be "too busy with drinks"
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 16:34:57 »

I was too far back to see/hear the tragedy but there was a full brake application from line speed (125 mph) just before Ealing B, stopping well before Acton

Just for the sake of accuracy, there's been a 30/50 speed restriction on the Up Main at Hanwell for the last two weeks (new track, ballast and sleepers), so after accelerating away from that the train would not have been doing any more than 80mph.

You're right, it did stop smartly.

The MTU (Motor Traction Unit)'s do pick up better than the Valentas.

Do you know how the two compare in terms of where full speed is attained on leaving Paddington?

OTC
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 16:43:33 »

i wonder why not?

They aren't required to?

I was not suggesting that they give the food away.........but I cant see why would refuse to SELL it

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 17:04:07 »

The MTU (Motor Traction Unit)'s do pick up better than the Valentas.

Do you know how the two compare in terms of where full speed is attained on leaving Paddington?

There's not a great deal of difference as the MTU's have been downrated to match the Valenta's horse-power - with the associated noise and fuel benefits. They are much more consistent though as they are new and more reliable. Top speed is usually reached somewhere between Hayes and West Drayton coming out of London.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: