09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 10:24:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 in the morning  (Read 8256 times)
Rogang

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2009, 22:22:12 »

The problems of today's society showed very clearly at 04:00 this morning when the TM(resolve) on the first Paddington of the day (1L05) was confronted by a group of very intoxicated men (presumably who had missed their last train home last night). Local Police had 'nobody available to deal', so regretably the train had to set off - albeit 50+ late. Someone at Swansea forgot to tell this group that HSTs (High Speed Train) don't stop at Pyle as the pass-com was pulled as the train shot through adding more delay. Not sure where this group of apologies for men got off, but Paddington was reached exactly one hour late.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 23:36:28 »

Sadly I don't think these men missed their train home. They were more likely hoping to catch the first train home considering the nightclubs in Swansea close around 3am. I'm not sure how often and how many people catch the train home after a night out but I know of quite a few people who do as it is cheaper than a taxi whilst also run not long after places close so is somewhat conveniant
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:29:26 »

Why is it that 5% of the passengers cause 95% of the hassle, and the other 95% are responsible for just 5%?  The trick (in any business) is in evaluating which are your 5% of "squeaky wheels" and passing on that business.

Question, Rogang - I know the railways are able to deny travel to people they consider to be in an unfit condition to travel, but are they otherwise regarded as a 'common carrier' of people.   In other words, can a TOC (Train Operating Company) say "I don't like you - we're not going to accept your business in the future even if you are fit to travel" to people ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:25 »

Looking at it from the other direction, surely there's a potential business opportunity to run an 04:00 stopping train, using beat-up old stock and volunteer staff? Get these vermin off the usual public trains, get them home and screw some money out of them at the same time. Result.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:42:24 »

Looking at it from the other direction, surely there's a potential business opportunity to run an 04:00 stopping train, using beat-up old stock and volunteer staff? Get these vermin off the usual public trains, get them home and screw some money out of them at the same time. Result.
I don't think you would get very many 'volunteer staff'!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:52:15 »

A similar experiment was conducted in Cardiff a few years ago with very late night buses when the clubs closed. They were more expensive, to cover the costs of additional crew as security, but a lot cheaper than a taxi.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) they weren't successful and didn't last too long, though whether that was because the staff didn't enjoy the experience or whether the fares were too high when compared with a shared taxi I don't know. 
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:55:17 »

Long term if this problem persists they will stop running the train.  Or more likely start it from Cardiff on saturday morning.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:51:39 »

Long term if this problem persists they will stop running the train.  Or more likely start it from Cardiff on saturday morning.

I wouldn't have thought so as a simple way of dealing with this is to have a police prence at the station around this time. All it takes is maybe 2 officers to support staff which should't be too hard to resource in Swansea as they usually have a large number of police in the area, especially on weekends, to deal the usual troubles in the area
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 17:09:43 »

There are about 150  - 200 of these passengers so I think a bit more than 2 officers will be needed.  And anyway they wont stop the passcom being pulled after the train has left. 
Rogang

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 18:53:36 »

Yes Grahame - we are a common carrier. As far as I am aware, we have to prove that they are either not fit to travel or could represent a serious threat to public safety. The latter could have applied yesterday, but with the police unable to send anyone to the station, it was felt that the situation would be easier defused by letting them travel - hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The 03:59 ex Swansea is a popular service believe it or not - it provides an 0700 arrival in London ahead of the main rush hour on Mons-Fris as well as quite a bit of local use within South Wales (not sure to/from where and why). Saturdays is a lot quieter apart from the clubbers, although yesterday had at least one retired lady in the same carriage as the unruly group!
Having thought about this a bit more, there can not be many services anywhere in the UK (United Kingdom) apart from London, where clubbers can stay until the club closes on a Saturday morning and have a train home within an hour!
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 19:11:43 »

The 03:59 ex Swansea is a popular service believe it or not - it provides an 0700 arrival in London ahead of the main rush hour on Mons-Fris as well as quite a bit of local use within South Wales (not sure to/from where and why). Saturdays is a lot quieter apart from the clubbers, although yesterday had at least one retired lady in the same carriage as the unruly group!

There is also the connection with the Fishguard boat train - the 3.59 used to be a through Fishguard-Paddingto train which left Swansea at 3.30. Running half an hour later makes a good balance between providng the connection with the 3.30ish arrival and providing a useful early morning service. Do many people make the through journey from Fishguard these days? I'd guess that the daytime service is more attractive to most people than having to make the nocturnal change, unless they really don't want to use up a day travelling.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 00:57:23 »

I know it's easy for me to say from the comfort of my desk, but I would have thought byelaws 5 and 6 have the necessary provisions to remove such individuals:

5. Unfit to be on the railway
No person shall enter or remain on the railway if, in the reasonable opinion of an authorised person, he is in an unfit or improper condition or his clothing may soil or damage any part of the railway or the property or clothing of any person on the railway.

6. Unacceptable behaviour
(1) No person shall use any threatening, abusive, obscene or offensive language on the railway.
(2) No person shall behave in a disorderly, indecent or offensive manner on the railway.
(3) No person shall write, draw, paint or fix anything on the railway.
(4) No person shall soil any part of the railway.
(5) No person shall damage or detach any part of the railway.
(6) No person shall spit on the railway.
(7) No person shall drop litter or leave waste on the railway.
(Cool No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:11:20 »

Indeed but when there are 150 - 200 of these people you try telling them that !
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 09:54:49 »

maybee increasing the walk on fairs for this service would sort it after all most of the regulars who use it for work will have seasons or know in advance
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 18:42:57 »

Indeed but when there are 150 - 200 of these people you try telling them that !

Fair point... I had missed the sheer numbers involved in the post above!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: