Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:07:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629316 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: September 26, 2016, 21:02:41 »

This was published on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) website today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lML1pLI_heQ&sns=fb

Have your hanky ready Tongue

Very regrettable.
And despite the facility to retrofit a buffet being "an essential requirement" of the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) I don't think that anyone believes that this will happen.
So long distance travellers are stuck with a no buffet, high density interurban DMU for a generation at least. how is that for progress.

I suspect it was a Business decision based on the Buffets not making sufficient (or any) profit. As with so many things, if you don't use them, you lose them - if they were profitable (or more profitable/useful than having more seats) the company would have ensured they were retained.......very few businesses run on whimsy.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 27, 2016, 09:58:36 »

In my view, providing a buffet is part of running a railway, and a buffet facility should be provided on all trains intended for long distance, express, or inter city services. And used on all but very lightly loaded services.

I am not convinced that it has to make a profit, it is part of running a railway. How much profit is made by luggage racks ? or by the toilets ? Yet these facilities continue to be provided, even if reluctantly.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 27, 2016, 10:26:12 »

"There is this paradox that Britain has never been so rich and the amount of money and possessions most people have cannot be compared with what people had when I first arrived. And yet the country behaves as if it has never been so poor. The refrain you constantly hear is “we can’t afford it”. It feels like we are permanently in this age of austerity in which we not only can’t afford large things – housing for all that need it, cottage hospitals in every town – but also small things such as flower beds on roundabouts. All these things the country had when I first came here, and when we were all much poorer."

Bill Bryson on how Britain has changed since he first arrived.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 27, 2016, 11:13:57 »

To answer both Broadgage and Tim, the answer to all of the above is that most big businesses are either run by accountants, or at the very least have accountants that carry a lot of influence with senior management.

Their view is that there is no point in being in business if you're not going to generate a profit and dividends for shareholders.

A trolley going up and down the train (if it can!) may make as many sales as a static buffet, but costs a lot less to buy and probably to operate.

The only way to make the "I am not convinced that it has to make a profit" argument into reality is probably to re-nationalise, and even then their wouldn't be a bottomless pit of cash, cost targets would have to be met etc.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 27, 2016, 15:17:37 »

The only way to make the "I am not convinced that it has to make a profit" argument into reality is probably to re-nationalise, and even then their wouldn't be a bottomless pit of cash, cost targets would have to be met etc.

Maybe, but I am not convinced that we need a wholesale abandonment of capitalism.  We just need politicians and the public who are able to stand up to the accountants, the companies and the public sector and demand certain little things that make life more civilised. 

The British public have this unfortunate tendency to kow-tow to their "betters" to the extent that when someone like GWR (Great Western Railway) is criticised for removing buffets or a council is criticised for closing libraries, all they need to do is bring out the "there is no money" excuse and the Uk public are far to ready to believe it (and even defend the view).  Since the HSTs (High Speed Train) were built 40 years ago the average inflation adjusted GDP of this country has almost exactly doubled.  We are twice as rich as we were when BR (British Rail(ways)) decided that on-board kitchens, two toilets per coach, guards vans (and indeed guards) were necessary rather than unaffordable luxuries.  So don't give me the "its unaffordable" excuse. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 27, 2016, 15:29:05 »

Maybe, but I am not convinced that we need a wholesale abandonment of capitalism.  We just need politicians and the public who are able to stand up to the accountants, the companies and the public sector and demand certain little things that make life more civilised. 

The British public have this unfortunate tendency to kow-tow to their "betters" to the extent that when someone like GWR (Great Western Railway) is criticised for removing buffets or a council is criticised for closing libraries, all they need to do is bring out the "there is no money" excuse and the Uk public are far to ready to believe it (and even defend the view).  Since the HSTs (High Speed Train) were built 40 years ago the average inflation adjusted GDP of this country has almost exactly doubled.  We are twice as rich as we were when BR (British Rail(ways)) decided that on-board kitchens, two toilets per coach, guards vans (and indeed guards) were necessary rather than unaffordable luxuries.  So don't give me the "its unaffordable" excuse. 

40 years ago did most stations of any reasonable size come equipped with branches of M & S and numerous other catering options? (and please don't cite Casey Jones it still sends a shiver down my spine!)

If the buffets were making a profit, they'd be staying, because it would be in GWR's interest - as it is they sell overpriced, mediocre food to an audience who generally only use it because they have no other choice.....to maintain a loss making part of the business, based largely on nostalgia for a bygone age it would seem, would mean cuts or increased prices elsewhere. Times change, move with them.

To extrapolate this argument into a wholesale abandonment of capitalism did give me a laugh however - maybe you should speak to Mr Corbyn and get him on board? He has recent form on railway issues!!!  Grin

Comparing the provision of buffets to luggage racks is a bit silly - how much does a luggage rack cost to run? Are there salary costs attached to it which necessitate it generating revenue?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1206 on: September 28, 2016, 12:09:41 »

Video has been removed already.....

While i totally agree re valuables, you cannot get away from the fact on Pad-Pnz services the trolley will not be able to go through!

Errr.....no one has said yet that there won't be enough seats....so the aisles should be clear?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 29, 2016, 16:52:29 »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/29/cabins-will-smell-like-big-macs-readers-on-british-airways-ditching-free-meals?CMP=fb_gu...........not just the railways making major changes to their catering arrangements.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1208 on: September 29, 2016, 17:16:13 »

Ok, I may have missed this, but when dod the linen tablecloths & napkins disappear from the Pullman service? I reckon I used this service several times last year, but this is the first time I've managed ro co-ordinate my travel this year....

My only gripe though. The starters didn't appeal, so straight to the steak & trimmings. The 'strong' horseradish is anything but...still flavoursome though, and the spuds-au-gratin plus cabbage & carrots were extremely good. Steak really did melt in the mouth.

Only 4 dining gave the many crew not much to do though. I got extra sides rather than them being thrown away, so little room left for the cheese board. I took one of the specials, though the steward tried to explain there was now lemon cream to go with it as catering had forgotten to load it. I understood that there was ordinary cream though, so I went with it snyway.

When the tart arrived, it turned out the steward was misinformed & there was zero cream on board. So while the tart was good, it obviously wasn't baked today & sort of meeded the cream to help it down.

However, talking to the steward afterwards when he came around for payment, he was extremely customer-focused & explained he couldn't knock a couple of quid off....but he'd remove it from the bill completely. This without my asking was superb (I might have asked as we pay nearly top-notch prices) for the Pullman - its £50 for the 3 course meal now, plus drinks.

In return, I added the cost of the dessert to the gratuity line to recognise his service attitude. Hopefully the crew did better out of me as a result.

Can still recommend the dining service & can't wait to try it out on the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 29, 2016, 19:30:30 »

I don't think that the tablecloths and napkins have been real linen for many years.
They have been paper for years, though good quality that looks like the real thing if you don't look TOO closely.

I now have far less excuse to patronise the Pullman than in years gone by, but in my now limited experience, standards remain high.

Far from cheap, but IMO (in my opinion) the quality compares favourably with establishments that charge more.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 29, 2016, 21:09:09 »

Which train were you on, Chris?  Bit worrying that there were only 4 diners!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 29, 2016, 21:20:55 »

Ok, I may have missed this, but when dod the linen tablecloths & napkins disappear from the Pullman service? I reckon I used this service several times last year, but this is the first time I've managed ro co-ordinate my travel this year....

My only gripe though. The starters didn't appeal, so straight to the steak & trimmings. The 'strong' horseradish is anything but...still flavoursome though, and the spuds-au-gratin plus cabbage & carrots were extremely good. Steak really did melt in the mouth.

Only 4 dining gave the many crew not much to do though. I got extra sides rather than them being thrown away, so little room left for the cheese board. I took one of the specials, though the steward tried to explain there was now lemon cream to go with it as catering had forgotten to load it. I understood that there was ordinary cream though, so I went with it snyway.

When the tart arrived, it turned out the steward was misinformed & there was zero cream on board. So while the tart was good, it obviously wasn't baked today & sort of meeded the cream to help it down.

However, talking to the steward afterwards when he came around for payment, he was extremely customer-focused & explained he couldn't knock a couple of quid off....but he'd remove it from the bill completely. This without my asking was superb (I might have asked as we pay nearly top-notch prices) for the Pullman - its £50 for the 3 course meal now, plus drinks.

In return, I added the cost of the dessert to the gratuity line to recognise his service attitude. Hopefully the crew did better out of me as a result.

Can still recommend the dining service & can't wait to try it out on the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.)

In the words of Basil Fawlty:

"A satisfied customer. We should have him stuffed."

https://youtu.be/8eEDk9Sv5ag?t=3m42s

Wink Tongue Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1212 on: September 29, 2016, 23:30:28 »

1305 to PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 29, 2016, 23:40:53 »

1305 to PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)

That's the London crewed down lunch Pullman. The most recently (re)introduced Pullman service. They work back from Plymouth with an evening up Pullman at 1803.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 27, 2016, 15:48:56 »

I'm informed by two reliable GWR (Great Western Railway) sources that the 0553 from Plymouth and the 1006 from London Paddington are to lose their Pullman breakfast (up) and Pullman brunch (down) service from the December timetable change.

The preceding is posted with a codicil: GWR social media told me:

Hi Justin. It's due to engineering works - it's not permanent.

Lewis

Now... well placed sources or the company mouthpiece? Who's right? Place your bets...

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: