Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:55:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629167 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:14 »

A new spirit added to the Pullman range in recent weeks.

Tarquin's Gin from the Southwestern Distillery in Wadebridge in Cornwall.  43% and £5.50 a bottle.  I found it rather pleasant, but not sure about the faux wax on the bottle.

Latest news is new menus from mid-September, the first since the ending of the agreement with Mitch Tonks.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1231 on: August 17, 2017, 00:49:39 »

He's only posting that picture to provoke me ...  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 24, 2017, 08:18:08 »

He's only posting that picture to provoke me ...  Shocked

Worked on me, too!

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 20, 2017, 16:08:49 »

I hope to take lunch on the 12-01 service from Plymouth to London on Monday October 2.
I shall board at Taunton at 13-34.

Will I have the honour of meeting any forum members in the Restaurant ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 20, 2017, 16:31:00 »

Not sure of my plans at the start of that week yet - but what I can tell you is that new menus have been launched this week.

This is Menu 1

From which I had the salmon starter and the duck

Both were very tasty although I confess the duck could have been a little hotter, temperature-wise, for my preference.

Highlights of Menu 2 - which should be the one available when you travel - are

Starters
Scallops
Chicken, Red Onion and Duck Terrine
Walnut Crusted soft goats cheese

Mains
Fillet Steak
Roast Lamb Rump
Lemon Sole
Spinach & Herb Gnocchi

Desserts
Pistachio Frangipane
Cheeseboard

Don't forget you can now reserve a seat on line - https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/on-board/pullman-dining/pullman-booking#/intro

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 20, 2017, 20:17:01 »

Looks good Smiley
The duck looks excellent, and MIGHT just possibly tempt me away from fillet steak.
The fact that smoked salmon is not included in each menu is a slight backward step, for my tastes.

The prices have increased a bit, fillet steak was £29 IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), but one must accept that quality costs money, and that fillet steak in particular has increased in price everywhere recently.

Hopefully I will get a seat OK, I have purchased a first class ticket and booked by phone.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 20, 2017, 20:38:31 »

and that fillet steak in particular has increased in price everywhere recently.

I've just had a very nice 6oz 30 day matured British fillet steak. £4.99 from Aldi.

Very flavoursome it was too.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 20, 2017, 20:49:42 »

Duck looks a tad overcooked to me  Tongue
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 20, 2017, 20:50:16 »

I've just had a very nice 6oz 30 day matured British fillet steak. £4.99 from Aldi.

Very flavoursome it was too.

Other discount supermarkets are available! Lidl do a nice fillet too.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 22, 2017, 11:40:53 »

I'm all for a slight surcharge on typical nice restaurant prices for a special meal, and I would class dining on the Pullman as a special meal, but £12 for a starter and over £30 for a main course for nice but fairly simple dishes is too high for my liking.

A cynic, like Broadgage, would usually suggest that they are deliberately overcharging to put people off so they can scrap the service when the new trains come along (despite them all having kitchens).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 22, 2017, 11:53:24 »

A couple of weeks ago I travelled on the 1256 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) which has a Pullman service. I took a peek at the dining area just after Exeter and there was only 3 customers. (Incidentally my own lunch consisted of a very fresh and tasty cheese salad roll from the buffet for just £4.50. Smiley)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 22, 2017, 17:44:01 »

I'm all for a slight surcharge on typical nice restaurant prices for a special meal, and I would class dining on the Pullman as a special meal, but £12 for a starter and over £30 for a main course for nice but fairly simple dishes is too high for my liking.

A cynic, like Broadgage, would usually suggest that they are deliberately overcharging to put people off so they can scrap the service when the new trains come along (despite them all having kitchens).

I fear that you may be correct. Complete abolition would probably be contrary to a franchise requirement to retain "Pullman style dining" but I fear another rebranding or some other downgrade.
OTOH (On The Other Hand) GWR (Great Western Railway) do seem serious about promoting the Pullman and bookings are allowed, reviews on tripadvisor are generally very positive and few criticise the price.

I have misgivings as to how well the restaurant service will work on the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). I cant see it working on a pair of 5 car units. Laying say 20 seats for dining in one unit wont leave enough first class seats in that unit for non dining customers. And potential dining customers in the wrong unit will be deterred.
Presumably the hope/intention/aspiration is to diagram a full length unit for Pullman services.
That however still leaves another problem, presumably the intention is for restaurant service to be at the extreme end of the train, nearest the kitchen. How then are standard class customers to dine, or to ascertain if space remains ?
Any such customers will have to pass through first class to get to the restaurant area.
Whilst perhaps a dozen diners walking through first is no big deal, what about all those who look and decide it is not for them, or find no space. I do not think that all that through traffic will go down very well !

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1242 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:19 »

I think the biggest threat in the shortish term to the Pullman service as it stands is, as Broadgage suggests, the design of the new stock namely the unfriendly splitting of the train into two short units and the location of the kitchen burried deep in first class instead of between first and standard. First GWR (Great Western Railway) do seem to promote the Pullman service in a way that suggests they will keep it as long as the current direct award franchise lasts at least but the new trains will make it more difficult.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:18 »

A couple of weeks ago I travelled on the 1256 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) which has a Pullman service. I took a peek at the dining area just after Exeter and there was only 3 customers. (Incidentally my own lunch consisted of a very fresh and tasty cheese salad roll from the buffet for just £4.50. Smiley)

At those prices, three diners will more than pay for the shareholders’ champagne come the next AGM (Annual General Meeting)  Wink

I agree that it is eyewateringly expensive for what it is, but if people are using it then I have no issue and hope it survives the introduction of the new rolling stock
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 24, 2017, 14:05:28 »

On Monday October 2 I hope to be taking lunch on the 13-34 from Taunton as already noted.
Later the same day I expect to dine with my sister on the Golden Hind, the 18-03 from Paddington.

On Thursday October 12, sister and myself hope to lunch on the up Pullman leaving Taunton at 13-34.
Later the same day, I hope to take dinner on the 19-03 from Paddington, alighting at Taunton.

Will I have the honour of meeting any forum members on these now four trips ?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: