Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:26:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[92] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] Return of the BRUTE?
[69] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[50] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629297 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2012, 11:14:19 »

I can not agree that the restaurant "takes up seats" there are still the same number of seats on the train, and the same number of passengers, whether the restuarant be open or not.

Exactly, so it does take up seats. As standard class passengers are sitting in the restaurant but also have reservations in standard.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2012, 11:44:05 »

I can not agree that the restaurant "takes up seats" there are still the same number of seats on the train, and the same number of passengers, whether the restuarant be open or not.

Exactly, so it does take up seats. As standard class passengers are sitting in the restaurant but also have reservations in standard.

If someone has a standard class ticket and manages to sit in the restaurant, then on a busy service it would seem reasonable for another passenger to occupy the standard class seat whilst the first customer dines.
When they have completed their meal, conflict might arise in theory if they seek to return to their seat, but in practice it should not be a problem.
It is likely that the dining customer will remain in the restaurant until at least Taunton or Exeter. After the Exeter stop there are almost allways seats for all.
Indeed there is a good chance that either the dining customer, or the other passenger sitting in "their" standard class seat will allight at Taunton Or Exeter.

AFAIK (as far as I know), anyone may use a reserved seat, provided that they willingly give it up when the customer with the reservation requires it.
If someone boarding at Paddington finds a reserved seat that is not taken, I believe that they may use it.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2012, 13:55:48 »

I would put money on all restaurants being axed at the beginning of the new franchise, I don't see how the west country will buck the trend shown by East Coast.
It will be replaced wither by an enhanced travelling chef, or a 1st class at seat service aka Virgin.
Or nothing at all!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2012, 21:01:53 »

I would put money on all restaurants being axed at the beginning of the new franchise, I don't see how the west country will buck the trend shown by East Coast.
It will be replaced wither by an enhanced travelling chef, or a 1st class at seat service aka Virgin.
Or nothing at all!

Roll Eyes

So if the 1803/1903 make profit and subsidise any loss made by the up-trains, why would they do that and what has this got to do with East Coast??!

They do seem overstaffed at times, but then you also have the additional first class hosts who help out the restaurant staff too.  Perhaps they could be utilised better though.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2012, 02:05:09 »

I'm frankly amazed they make a profit. Of course, offering a complimentary at 1st class seat service with slightly reduced 1st fares would probably be more profitable as more people would go 1st, freeing up seats in 2nd.

If restaurants were generally profitable, they would still be in existence across the network. There is a reason they have been axed.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2012, 10:30:50 »

I'm frankly amazed they make a profit. Of course, offering a complimentary at 1st class seat service with slightly reduced 1st fares would probably be more profitable as more people would go 1st, freeing up seats in 2nd.

If restaurants were generally profitable, they would still be in existence across the network. There is a reason they have been axed.
it's a good job BTline isn't running the economy or this country would be seriously in the sh1t! why the hell would they REDUCE first class fares and then introduce FREE meals? so basically what you are saying is that trains should have an extra 5 or 6 staff to give out free food to people who are paying less than they do now?  Roll Eyes The restaurants make a nice little profit on the down workings with the up workings about breaking even, as you will see on the 18:03 and 19:03 all of coach F is laid up and the first 4 tables in G and is full before the train leaves London so there is no need to be giving out free meals. the only way to increase the number of seats in STD is to do away with all cheap first class fares and just have 1 first class coach, the increased first class fares could then subsidise free meals for first class.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2012, 10:35:13 »

I travelled on the 12:55 ex Plymouth on Monday and there were five of us dining before Exeter with others joining later.  Busiest I have seen it on a Monday for a while.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2012, 11:33:18 »

it's a good job BTline isn't running the economy or this country would be seriously in the sh1t! why the hell would they REDUCE first class fares and then introduce FREE meals? so basically what you are saying is that trains should have an extra 5 or 6 staff to give out free food to people who are paying less than they do now?  Roll Eyes The restaurants make a nice little profit on the down workings with the up workings about breaking even, as you will see on the 18:03 and 19:03 all of coach F is laid up and the first 4 tables in G and is full before the train leaves London so there is no need to be giving out free meals. the only way to increase the number of seats in STD is to do away with all cheap first class fares and just have 1 first class coach, the increased first class fares could then subsidise free meals for first class.

Well it works for East Coast and Virgin! I believe profits and passenger numbers are up on EC since they introduced lower 1st advance fares and added a complementary offer. It then means standard seats get freed up for more commuters, reducing overcrowding.
SapperPsmith

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2012, 12:31:38 »

Sorry Btline - East Coast have said that passenger volumes in First are up but they have been careful not to discuss revenue.  I suspect that their yeild is down and they are not covering thier increased costs with the inclusive offer in First.  A colleague has bought a First Class ticket from Newcastle to Kings Cross for ^41 - amazing value but with the free food included not so good for the taxpayer (who own East Coast).

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2012, 12:50:05 »

VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) have run a similar thing to EC for years. It must be worthwhile.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2012, 13:07:27 »

VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) have run a similar thing to EC for years. It must be worthwhile.

And do Virgin have a constant 11% discount on their 1st Advance tickets when purchased from them? Or seemingly endless promotions enticing people to try the 1st Class service?

East Coast may have increased bums on seats in 1st Class but so many of those extra buttocks have come through the regular promotions. There'll probably be another one along soon. If there is then.... ^25 1st Class to Edinburgh. Yes please!  Wink
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 17:32:09 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2012, 22:04:44 »

Well it works for East Coast and Virgin! I believe profits and passenger numbers are up on EC since they introduced lower 1st advance fares and added a complementary offer. It then means standard seats get freed up for more commuters, reducing overcrowding.
On Virgin you get a minute breakfast that even a worm could eat 2 of, first class on FGW (First Great Western) is near full on most peak services anyway so no need for extra bums on seats, the best thing with paying for the food you get is that you can expect it to be good quality and you complain if its not, none of this "Well its free what you moaning about" aka East Coast.
SapperPsmith

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2012, 08:17:33 »

The history of the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) free offer is often forgotton.

Pre Pendelino and during WCRM the service had almost collapsed and First Class customers were in open revolt and many were driving to the ECML (East Coast Main Line) to use GNER (Great North Eastern Railways).  The staff were also not properly managed and there was no Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale)) to reduce fraud.  As a way of compensating First Class customers and reducing the complexity of the offer (and removing the need to collect cash) VT introduced the "free offer" to justify the high fares.  It will be illuminating to see if any of those competing for the InterCity West Coast (ICWC (InterCity West Coast)) franchise have proposed to continue with the free offer.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:34:10 by VickiS » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2012, 08:44:28 »

Interesting couple of days on the trains.

On Thursday I overheard a conversation between an off duty FGW (First Great Western) staff member and an obvious enthusiast about train planning.  It seems there are five variants of HSTs (High Speed Train) - obviously the high and low density varieties as well as different buffet/kitchen configurations.  When it comes to disruption is it not only a case of finding a train and crew in the right place which is obvious but factors I hadn't thought of before including; ensuring the set has enough fuel for the job in hand (and possibly the next one if it is to be out-stabled overnight), will end up in the correct place if it is due an exam, if it has the right buffet for Travelling Chef/Pullman if possible and what the options are for filling the role it was originally due to perform.  To cap it all those decisions then have to made quickly and put into place.  Certainly made me think.

Then on Friday I travelled on the 12:55 ex-Plymouth for the second time this week.  17 meals were served in two sittings, so much so that extra supplies had to be drafted in for the return trip at 19:03.  The only downside was the range in the kitchen (or is that a galley) wasn't working properly so the choices were a bit limited but none the less pleasing to see so many people of all ages taking a meal.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2012, 09:51:18 »

On Thursday I overheard a conversation between an off duty FGW (First Great Western) staff member and an obvious enthusiast about train planning.  It seems there are five variants of HSTs (High Speed Train) - obviously the high and low density varieties as well as different buffet/kitchen configurations.  When it comes to disruption is it not only a case of finding a train and crew in the right place which is obvious but factors I hadn't thought of before including; ensuring the set has enough fuel for the job in hand (and possibly the next one if it is to be out-stabled overnight), will end up in the correct place if it is due an exam, if it has the right buffet for Travelling Chef/Pullman if possible and what the options are for filling the role it was originally due to perform.  To cap it all those decisions then have to made quickly and put into place.  Certainly made me think.

That's why they should have kept a standard fleet. 8 coaches, full buffet and kitchen. Low density seating.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: