Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:38:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629359 times)
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2012, 13:04:24 »

That's how it used to be. And that's why the overcrowding on the Reading-Paddington corridor was so hideous during the peaks.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2012, 13:33:12 »

That's how it used to be. And that's why the overcrowding on the Reading-Paddington corridor was so hideous during the peaks.

How many more seats in a LC (Level Crossing) set than a HC set? Can't be that much difference.

But the point I was clearly making is: make all the sets the same. Even if they are all HC sets.
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2012, 16:35:38 »

That's why they should have kept a standard fleet. 8 coaches, full buffet and kitchen. Low density seating.

But the point I was clearly making is: make all the sets the same. Even if they are all HC sets.

Sorry, don't really see that- it's clear to me that you were suggesting low density seating.  Huh
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2012, 17:10:02 »

Quote from: Charles Lutwidge Dodgson

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean ^ neither more nor less.'

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2012, 17:11:06 »

Yes, I suggested LD seating - as I think 4 tables per coach is better for longer distance families.
But the clear message of the post was to get 1 standard fleet. i.e. no mini buffets or 2+7.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2012, 18:18:31 »

How many more seats in a LC (Level Crossing) set than a HC set? Can't be that much difference.

On a LC 2+8 with buffet, compared with a HC 2+8 with mini-buffet?  Over 100 more standard class seats I should imagine.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2012, 23:34:57 »

FGW (First Great Western) have always have lots of different types of buffets though. There are four different types of buffet vehicles in the FGW fleet excluding the micro-buffets. The type favoured for Pullman services, 407xx vehicles should be found, if they are in the correct formation, in the 16 Low Density HST (High Speed Train) sets. They are diagrammed on mainly the London-Penzance route where all trains are meant to be formed of them, with the rest of the workings across a number of different services. That means there is plenty of opportunity for the wrong type of buffet to turn up on the diagram. There are then 19 High Density 2+8 sets which have three different types of buffet vehicle in them, 9 408xx vehicles which have the same number of seats as 407xx vehicles, and I believe a full length kitchen still, so suitable but not preferred for a Pullman service, there are also 402xx and 409xx vehicles, 5 or each, they have shorter kitchens and an extra six FC(resolve) seats, so aren't suitable for Pullman services and aren't ideal for Travelling Chef services either. All three of those kitchen types are diagrammed as a common fleet, so some HD sets are suitable for Pullman services and others aren't. The buffet carriages replaced by the micro-buffets were mainly 407xx vehicles with full kitchens, but of course in 2+8 HD sets, so they were suitable for Pullman services.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2012, 00:06:31 »

What a mess (above post)

And I'm surprised that 2 fewer tables per coach for 5 coaches equates to 100 seats even when you consider the micro buffets.

How many more seats if you compare a normal HC to LC (Level Crossing) set (with standard buffet)?
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2012, 09:51:43 »

The difference between a high and low density set is minimal, its in the 15 to 20 region

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2012, 10:59:12 »

The difference between a high and low density set is minimal, its in the 15 to 20 region

But it was advertised as "thousands of extra seats" which it probably is over say a month.
Most ordinary passengers would think that "thousands of extra seats" means longer or additional trains, rather than just squeezing a few more seats into each coach.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2012, 11:02:32 »

Right, in that case I stand by my original post. All sets should be LC (Level Crossing). Why should all the InterCity passengers suffer just so a handful more Reading commuters don't have to stand for 25 minutes? There should be more trains after electrification/Xrail and IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) so that most peak InterCities can run pick up only/set down only at Reading.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2012, 11:15:47 »

But it was advertised as "thousands of extra seats" which it probably is over say a month.
Most ordinary passengers would think that "thousands of extra seats" means longer or additional trains, rather than just squeezing a few more seats into each coach.

It's thousands of extra seats a day.  I think you're both forgetting that most of the the high density will be formed with 8 carriages, 6 of which will be standard class (incl. Micro Buffet) and two first class, and low density sets will be mostly formed of 8 carriages with 5 standard class carriages, two first class, and a buffet first.  As 'dogbox' says the 15-20 seats extra is over the 5 carriages but then there's the extra additional standard class carriage with its 85 or so seats.  That makes over a hundred.  Though you lose a handful of first class seats.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2012, 21:54:04 »

slight mis understanding.....the 15 to 20 extra seats is as it stands now before the introduction of the converted buffets

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:28 »

It's possible that G&T and V&T are bigger sellers than Whisky and Brandy so FGW (First Great Western) have gone for a compromise on what they stock.

Alternatively they may just be running down existing stock of the pre-mixed whisky cans. Don't know what, if anything, replaced the Brandy miniatures. I don't care much for Whisky or Brandy so I'm a happy bunny!

Looks like you were right about running down the stocks. On the 10:00 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and they have miniatures of Bells whisky and cans of Canada Dry.

Question is - is 11:30 too early to try them!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2012, 12:39:58 »

It's possible that G&T and V&T are bigger sellers than Whisky and Brandy so FGW (First Great Western) have gone for a compromise on what they stock.

Alternatively they may just be running down existing stock of the pre-mixed whisky cans. Don't know what, if anything, replaced the Brandy miniatures. I don't care much for Whisky or Brandy so I'm a happy bunny!

Looks like you were right about running down the stocks. On the 10:00 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and they have miniatures of Bells whisky and cans of Canada Dry.

Question is - is 11:30 too early to try them!

A little early under normal circumstances perhaps, but one really ought to show support for the stocking of miniatures by buying a few !
I do my best with the Plymouth gin !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: