Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:33:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629312 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2012, 13:52:12 »

I did hold out til 12 noon and then had two!

Still no sign of Plymouth Gin in the buffet, only the Pullman.

Still luckily my work schedule means four planned trips on the Pullman in the next month - including the 19:03 which I've never travelled on before.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2012, 21:00:31 »

I was pricing up some Pullman journeys today and noticed this on the menu:
The Great Westerner - our signature cocktail made with Plymouth Gin, apple and ginger cordial and a twist of lime     ^6.00
Is this something new?  Don't remember seeing it previously.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2012, 21:23:00 »

I think it has been on the menu for about a year but I've never tried it nor seen any one else order it.  I'm on the Pullman in a week's time I might just take the plunge....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2012, 21:38:03 »

Been on the menu for about a year now. Very nice it is too!

Although I stress to add I've not purchased one on The Pullman, rather, I've knocked some up at home after asking a Pullman host about the recipe. I didn't write it down or see one being prepared but they used Belvoir Ginger Cordial if I remember correctly and a good quality apple juice. Belvior Cordials are a bit pricey mind. You'll find them in Waitrose. Oh, and I used Bombay Sapphire Gin.

My recipe was:

• 2 parts gin (50ml)
  • 3 parts Copella Apple Juice (75ml)
  • ^ part Belvoir Ginger Cordial (12.5ml)
  • 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
  • Squeeze of lime juice

Put all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice and shake until condensation forms on the outside of the shaker. Add plenty of ice to a tall glass (Collins or highball) and strain mixture into glass. Garnish with a wedge and twist of lime.

That's how I did mine. FGW (First Great Western)'s may be different.

Sl^inte mhath!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2012, 21:47:49 »

Sounds good  Tongue
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2012, 08:50:08 »

I dont much like any food or drink that contains ginger.
I have however observed the cocktail served and enjoyed on a number of recent trips.
And hopefully it means that Plymouth gin will continue to be available.

If anyone wants to look back through this long topic, there is a post by me that refers to the then new great westerner cocktail.

Edit to add, see post 87.
I posted that shortly after the cocktail was introduced.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:14:12 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2012, 16:58:42 »

Recently returned from the West on the 12-05 from Plymouth, most enjoyable meal on board.
The menu is more restriced than in years gone by, but still most enjoyable.
AND we have proper (Plymouth) gin, and port also, to go with the cheese.

If any FGW (First Great Western) catering staff are members here, thanks for your hard work and help.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2012, 18:07:13 »

Recently returned from the West on the 12-05 from Plymouth, most enjoyable meal on board.

Glad you enjoyed it.  How many others were making use of the restaurant?  Obviously the main trade is on the return service in the evening, but it'd be interesting to know how well the crew balancing service eastwards is used.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2012, 18:20:41 »

I have travelled on the 12:55 ex-Plymouth three times in the last month and in each case there have been at least nine diners and in one case 13.  I did report on this thread a while back an occasion when there were 17.

I suspect the crews on the 12:55 are celebrating this week as the 12:55 reverts to starting from Plymouth rather than being a through service from Penzance.  It means they can complete most of the laying-up before the service leaves Plymouth rather than having to do it on the move as they do with the earlier service which starts at Penzance at 10:00.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2012, 08:51:01 »

Glad you enjoyed it.  How many others were making use of the restaurant?  Obviously the main trade is on the return service in the evening, but it'd be interesting to know how well the crew balancing service eastwards is used.

AFAIR 14 seats were taken out of a maximum available of 19 seats.
This was a little busier than normal, 10 or 12 seats taken seems to be about the average.

The train was busier than usual and slightly late. I suspect that the slight lateness was due to extended station dwell times as passengers tried to board with outsize baby cariages and luggage.

I think that we waited for at least 3 minutes at Taunton, presumably for this reason.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:23 »

I have travelled on the 12:55 ex-Plymouth three times in the last month and in each case there have been at least nine diners and in one case 13.  I did report on this thread a while back an occasion when there were 17.

AFAIR 14 seats were taken out of a maximum available of 19 seats.
This was a little busier than normal, 10 or 12 seats taken seems to be about the average.

That's not bad at all.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2012, 09:42:04 »

On a couple of occasions they have had to ask for extra supplies to be put on the 15:00 from Plymouth to ensure they have enough for the return trip following heavy demand for some menu items on the 12:55.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2012, 19:22:03 »

Was on the 12:55 ex Plymouth today and came across a new seating arrangement in Coach F for the first time on a Pullman.  Seems there is a group of three seats on one side nearest the buffet and the single seat (normally number 7) is replaced by a double seat round a table making a total of at least 21 seats - might even be 23 - can't remember what was opposite the bay of three.

The only down side apparently is it makes the kitchen (even) smaller.  Crews call it the wendy house apparently.

I suspect it has been around for a while - just not seen it on a Pullman diagram before.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2012, 21:02:11 »

Plenty of those vehicles around, one of the numerous different types of buffet vehicles there are. They aren't meant to be put on Pullman services though, because the kitchen is smaller.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2012, 08:56:51 »

Yes, they are not recently modified, but have been like that for years or maybe since new ?
Not meant to be on Pullmans, and yes they are known as "wendy houses" by the crew !

Properly known AFAIK (as far as I know) as a TRUB (trailer, restaurant, unclassified, buffet) (trailer, restaurant, unclassified, buffet)
Rather than as a TRUK (trailer, restaurant, unclassified, kitchen) (trailer, restaurant, unclassified, kitchen)

The crew are to be commended for doing what they could with the inadeqaute facilities, rather than cancelling the service.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: