17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 05:23:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633028 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2012, 17:41:09 »

That is a revamp - and for the better too. If I can't get a Pullman I often opt for a Travelling Chef but you can't always have the breakfast platter!  Nice to see more 'knife and fork' dishes.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2012, 18:30:31 »

That's the first time I've taken a look at the Travelling Chef menu in a long while.  All I can really say is Shocked at the prices.

I do wonder how many customers specifically want the food to be "gourmet", especially when it involves paying sums like ^9.50 for a burger and chips.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2012, 18:44:52 »

Is ^9.50 for a main course that excessive? We're not talking McDonald's or JD Wetherspoon quality here. This appears to be burger made from quality ingredients and the price is about par for a similar dish in your average restaurant or dining pub.

I really missed the burgers from the Travelling Chef. They were excellent quality, even when eaten out of the waxed box in Standard Class. I hope these new ones are just as good. I aim to find out as soon as possible!

And if the customers don't want 'gourmet' they can stick with the microwaved Express Cafe hot items, or a sandwich.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2012, 18:49:51 »

I do wonder how many customers specifically want the food to be "gourmet", especially when it involves paying sums like ^9.50 for a burger and chips.
A local restaurant to me is ^7.99 for a burger and chips, except the beef is sourced locally (Kent). I think the price is probably a bit over inflated but not too bad.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:10:27 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2012, 20:22:59 »

What conditions do the chickens live in to charge ^7 for 2 eggs on toast I wonder!! Must be well over 700% profit on that dish (ingredients wise)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2012, 20:34:26 »

The provision of on board catering is always going to be expensive.

Take the Pullmans. Ignoring the cost of the ingredients you need people to load it on the trains, a chef to cook it and staff to serve it BUT your maximum clientele is going to be 17 people (or a few more if you lay up part of Coach G).

That means the costs can only be divided against a few bills.

The staff costs for the Traveling Chef are obviously lower but the same principle applies. On board catering is never going to be cheap. The customer (passenger) can vote with their wallet.  I for one will always chose a decent meal on board but if others would rather bring their own sarnies that is their choice.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 30, 2012, 15:59:46 »

What conditions do the chickens live in to charge ^7 for 2 eggs on toast I wonder!! Must be well over 700% profit on that dish (ingredients wise)

I think thats a typo on the website, it should be ^4.50 (thats what I paid on 20th Dec  Wink)

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2013, 17:52:06 »

Plenty of watercress, spring onions and water biscuits on the menu?  Cheesy

And free range fish, caught en-route !

More seriously, I hope that the Pullmans will be running next Monday, 07/01/2013 as I hope to take lunch on an up train.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2013, 17:56:48 »

And I hope they are running on the 9th. I and a fellow forum member have planned to take lunch on an 'up' that day.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2013, 18:32:40 »

Spoke to a steward today and he confirmed they are back on Monday - which is good news as I am taking lunch on the up on both the 7th and the 9th!  (Dieting was not a New Year resolution!  Grin )

The full crew travelled both yesterday and today on the 12:01 but in both cases they were only running a Travelling Chef - and then not the full range.  To be honest yesterday would have been a non starter as the train was full and standing coming out of Cornwall so it would have caused problems trying to clear Coach F at Plymouth to lay-up.  Not sure that applied today as the train was back to its normal loadings.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2013, 16:54:10 »

Travelled up on the Pullman today - only four of us dining sadly but as the steward mentioned it was the first day after the Christmas/New Year break.  The whole train was lightly loaded.

Apparently new menus in next week.  Prices are going up but there will be four main courses to choose from.  Steak remains but there will also be a curry and a salmon dish among the others.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2013, 08:49:05 »

Glad to hear that choice will be increased in the new menu, and that steak will be retained.

Rumours continue to circulate regarding re-instating one or more Pullmans, is anyone able to confirm or deny this ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2013, 21:10:45 »

Today, myself and fellow forum member bobm travelled down to Plymouth to pick up the 1255 up Pullman to Reading. 2012 was a barren year for me and Pullmans. Various plans throughout last year never came to fruition so I was really looking forward to this trip which was suggested by bobm before Christmas.

Sadly because of rolling stock issues the 1255 didn't have a full kitchen so we were only able to partake of starters and desserts. bobm and I made up for the lack of a main course with alcohol!

We each had two starters followed by cheese and biscuits. The food, as ever, was top notch, as was the service. A bonus was being given menus and window stickers for keeps, as the menu is changing from next week. I now have in my possession a menu folder containing the last three menu rotations as well as the rather natty window sticker. All added to my growing collection of FGW (First Great Western) ephemera. Who knows, one day it might be worth a bob or two!

Looks like I will have to arrange another trip to get my fillet steak!

Here are some photos of the scran that was polished off today. Oh and a random picture from the train on the way down:

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) entering Kennaway Tunnel, Dawlish

My first, and bobm's second starter. Orange Soused Cornish Mackerel Fillets

bobm's first starter. Baked Cornish Brie

My second starter. Ham Hock Terrine

With Cheese and Biscuits to follow for both of us

Apologies for the out of focus pic and poor presentation. The G&T, wine and brandy was kicking in and I forgot to grab a pic before tucking in.

Finally, the two of us after being fed and (liberally) 'watered'. I have the menu and window sticker in my possession.  Wink Grin

Only slight downer, aside from the lack of a main course, was an obnoxious solo diner who had had far too much to drink (or perhaps the same as us but less able to handle it). A bit loud and at one point singing 'Happy Birthday' for no apparent reason. The Chief Steward was excellent in dealing with him and hastily dispatched him back to Standard Class once he'd settled his bill.

All in all and enjoyable way to spend a few hours in the company of a fellow forum member and FGW. Seriously considering heading to Newton Abbot tomorrow to pick up the same service as far as Westbury. Time enough to tuck in to the fillet steak I missed out on today.....

Finally, my mother has just seen the pictures and has told me off for wearing a hat at the dinner table. Sorry Mum, but that's me. I feel naked in public without a hat of some description.  Tongue

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:26:40 by VickiS » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2013, 22:40:32 »

I can't resist this.  I'm glad you identified who was BNM, as one might have thought that ...........

Perhaps this belongs in Drunks on a Train which has just started up somewhere else.   Grin

Looks like tremendous food, thanks for the advert.  I will be arranging a trip out shortly down the coast.   Tongue
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2013, 22:59:13 »

Well my hat looks like one of Bill & Bens from the flowerpot men so be grateful.

Nothing really to add to what BNM said about the day except to say all the crew were very attentive and very apologetic about the lack of main courses.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: