19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:06:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[294] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[103] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[61] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[54] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[26] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[25] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633174 times)
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2013, 00:42:49 »

Only slight downer, aside from the lack of a main course, was an obnoxious solo diner who had had far too much to drink (or perhaps the same as us but less able to handle it). A bit loud and at one point singing 'Happy Birthday' for no apparent reason. The Chief Steward was excellent in dealing with him and hastily dispatched him back to Standard Class once he'd settled his bill.

I may well know him. Erm, I shall have words.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:04:29 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:43 »

I may well know him. Erm, I shall have words.

Really? care to expand on that interesting response?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2013, 02:13:15 »

Really? care to expand on that interesting response?
I shall send you a Private Message.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:04:15 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2013, 21:00:26 »

The first of the new menus took to the tracks today.  The prices have increased but the number of choices have also gone up.  The menu credits chef Mitch Tonks of the Seahorse Restaurant in Dartmouth as the developer consultant which perhaps explains the number of fish dishes.  Main course prices now range between ^19 and ^26 - before it was ^17 and ^23.

Note there are two fish/seafood starters.  Not a problem for me as I like salmon, but might not appeal to everyone.

For the main course I had the steak which is largely the same as the previous menu although it is now served with a Cafe de Paris butter. (I think a previous menue may have had this for a while). I thought this would have garlic in it, but if it does I could not taste it - and I HATE garlic!  I noticed someone else having the chicken and that looked equally appetising.

The wine list has had a revamp.  Four whites, four reds and full and half bottles of champagne.  Some wines are half bottles, others full and there is still the 50cl (threequarter) bottle size.

Things that have gone?  Well the Great Westerner cocktail seems to have been dispensed with which I won't really miss.  However the Plymouth Gin is no more which is a bit of a surprise given FGW (First Great Western)'s attempts to use locally sourced products.  However the brandy and port are safe!

Also a couple of things which give hope for the future.  The salt and pepper pots have been replaced with Cole & Mason mills...

and even the after dinner chocolate has had a makeover!

Today was the first day but the food was again excellently prepared.  A nice touch was my brandy glass being taken away to be warmed before the drink was poured. 

I gather there is to be an official launch next week by which time hopefully the website will have been updated.  I gather there will be more new menus and they will rotate on a fortnightly basis.  The menu draws attention to the fact the FGW Pullman is the only high-speed service in the UK (United Kingdom) and long may it continue!
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2013, 21:07:27 »

Nice to see St Austell Brewery's Tribute ale still on the menu.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2013, 21:20:54 »

On a similar note, amusing to see 'Strongbow Cider' on the menu. You'd think FGW (First Great Western) would have found a slightly nicer cider, not like the West Country doesn't have much choice!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 14, 2013, 21:30:33 »

Thatcher's Gold for preference.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 14, 2013, 21:52:49 »

Hard to describe Hereford, home of Strongbow, as the West Country - but at least FGW (First Great Western) do send trains there!   Grin
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 14, 2013, 22:00:50 »

Thatcher's Gold for preference.  Wink

Totally agree
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #234 on: January 14, 2013, 22:02:23 »

Totally agree.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2013, 22:07:01 »

Totally agree.  Grin

Proper Job!  Grin Grin
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 15, 2013, 14:21:35 »

The removal of Plymouth gin is a regretable backward step, but apart from that the new menu looks excellent, glad to see that steak is retained.

I believe that are 4 menus, to be used in rotation, all very similar and all sound most enjoyable.

The smoked salmon starter, the fillet steak, and the cheese selection are the same on each menu, but the other choices alter with each menu rotation.

It would appear that FGW (First Great Western) are belatedly taking restaurants seriously.

Perhaps we might hope for a few more ? 2 return services a day is rather paltry, no matter how good those services are.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 15, 2013, 19:49:02 »

AFAIK (as far as I know) cafe de Paris butter DOES contain garlic, which I enjoy in moderation, though not everyone likes it.
Previous menus have contained "herb butter" with the steak, which is a bit vague though I recall enjoying it. There was some doubt at to whether the herb butter was to be melted and poured over the steak, or served as a round placed chilled on top of the cooked steak.

Cafe de paris butter is normally placed chilled or even frozen atop the cooked steak and then very briefly grilled in order that part of it melts and runs over the steak, but part remains solid.

The making of the butter is rather involved and I would presume that it is purchased ready made.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 15, 2013, 20:08:51 »

I suspect FGW (First Great Western) are indeed using a pre-made Beurre Cafe de Paris. Highly unlikely the Pullman Chefs/Rail Gourmet are knocking it up either on the day or the day before. Perhaps they are getting it from this Somerset based supplier:

http://www.cafedeparisbutters.co.uk/home

It's a great addition to a steak, although my preference remains a Diane or peppercorn sauce.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2013, 21:52:35 »

New menu two launched this week.

The salmon remains as a starter but in place of the scallops or caprese salad are dressed devon crab or oakwood smoked cheescake.  Tried the crab - as usual nicely presented with the white and dark meat separated plus a salad and mayonnaise.

Onto the mains and the steak remains but is joined by rump of lamb, lemon sole and mushroom wellington.

The alternative to the cheeseboard is a treacle pecan tart.

Good numbers dining today too - 15 taking a meal on the 12:01 from Plymouth.

note for the FGW (First Great Western) website - you still have the pre-Christmas menu..... Tongue
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: