09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 10:13:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633291 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2013, 22:57:06 »

One of the Customer Hosts on the 1730 Swindon to Yatton this week was wearing the Pullman Uniform. Though unfortunately he was only able to serve me my usual evening diet of tea and crisps. Having read the correspondence here with a degree of envy over recent weeks I was looking forward to something better.  Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2013, 13:29:32 »

Haha, At least you got served at your seat John Wink

Few weeks back I was on the 21:50 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and I went to the buffet for a cup of coffee having a longish journey in front of me. The lady in the Buffet said the complementary snacks were in the blue boxes on the  Luggage Rack in Coach G (Was a Micro Buffet) and that I could "help myself" I resisted the urge to take the whole box back to my seat Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2013, 15:49:06 »

More pictures of the food available on the FGW (First Great Western) Pullmans. From a trip made on 06/03/2013. It's worth restating just how good it is. How attentive the staff are, with their very smart new uniforms, and how there is no better way to enjoy fine dining, at speed and with a constantly changing scenery. I urge all forum members to find the time (and money!) to try this service. Remember, on the up services (1201 and 1255 off Plymouth - 1201 restaurant service available until Taunton. 1255 available until Castle Cary) you are almost guaranteed to find space in the Pullman Restaurant, so there's no need to fork out for a 1st Class ticket. A cheap Advance or Super Off Peak tickets will suffice. If you are bailing at Reading there are also some split ticket options.

Also mustn't forget to mention the pleasant company and engaging Train Manager on this most recent Pullman trip. You know who you are.  Grin

Pullman Reserve Smoked Salmon - oak smoked in Somerset, with cornichons, cream cheese & rye bread

Prime Somerset Reared Fillet Steak - with Caf^ de Paris butter and a choice of mustards

Take care with the English mustard. It's strong - very strong!

Chocolate Nemesis - with Dorset clotted cream

Introduction from Chef Mitch Tonks

Rumours continue that a breakfast service will be trialed some time soon. The up Golden Hind (0505 off Penzance), looking like the favourite candidate for a trial. Hopefully added to that will be a balancing down lunch service.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 19:44:18 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2013, 16:11:10 »

I'd agree with all bignosemac has said - even though my mother told me never to play with my food, let alone photograph it. (Glad I had clean nails for picture one!  Grin)

Was on the Pullman again today - another good show, including a very well behaved young lad who couldn't have been more than seven but ate all his vegetables, put me to shame.  He also showed up another diner who insisted on putting her heavy bag on the seat next to her and then ate her meal with one hand and tapped away on her laptop with the other!!

For those thinking of partaking; the menus rotate on a fortnightly basis.  Details are on the FGW (First Great Western) website.  Menu 2 starts again on Monday (11th March) for two weeks.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2013, 16:49:38 »

Seafood it is for my next trip on the 20th March then. Dressed Crab for starter then Lemon Sole for the main.

It'll have to be the Chablis to go with that.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 16:55:16 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2013, 14:47:58 »

Also mustn't forget to mention the pleasant company and engaging Train Manager on this most recent Pullman trip. You know who you are.  Grin

Cheque is in the post  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2013, 09:34:45 »

Mrs GTBE and myself sampled the Pullman lunch on Monday on the 1201 ex Plymouth.  Apart from the excellent food and service, the timing was most relaxing (our last lunch was a very rushed affair between Reading and Bedwyn).  You can sit down at Newton Abbott, the starter comes out at Exeter, and the service is timed so that you are ready to pay the bill around Newbury.  Overall a very pleasant experience which we shall do in future whenever we come back from Cornwall.

There's a downside for non-dining passengers.  A lady opposite us in coach G before we moved to F was complaining there was no Travelling Chef, and it seems that only sandwiches were available, and no hot snacks.  I think I've come across this issue before - maybe the scaled down kitchen facilities just don't have the capacity for cooking a good lunch and preparing hot snacks.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2013, 10:14:13 »

Our paths crossed!  I was on the same train.  Very good turnout for a Monday too with 13 taking a meal - boosted, it now seems, by three from the Coffee Shop!  Grin
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2013, 10:16:12 »

If I wanted to book myself on the Pullman, is it possible to occupy the same seat for my whole journey, or will I get turfed out after I've paid the bill?

I don't mind having a 1st Class ticket, but would rather stay in the same seat... unless there's a reason why I should leave the carriage after the journey?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2013, 10:36:38 »

I have only once seen someone being asked to return to their seat elsewhere on the train after their meal and that was someone who was a little the worse for wear and getting disruptive.

Depending on which service you plan to use you may not even need a first class ticket.  The two lunchtime trains are rarely full and standard class passengers are just as welcome as first and are free to remain after their meal.

The two evening journeys from Paddington are a different matter and are usually full with priority going to those with First Class tickets but you might be lucky with a standard.  If you do have a first class ticket you can book by telephone on 08457 000 125 before 15:15 or at the First Class lounge at Paddington after that.

For the two lunchtime services you will have to occupy a seat elsewhere on the train until about Newton Abbot while the crew lay up coach F. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2013, 12:41:14 »

If I wanted to book myself on the Pullman, is it possible to occupy the same seat for my whole journey, or will I get turfed out after I've paid the bill?

I don't mind having a 1st Class ticket, but would rather stay in the same seat... unless there's a reason why I should leave the carriage after the journey?

If you have a first class ticket from London then you may normally remain in the restaurant until your destination, there is only one sitting, and no harm in sitting in first class with a first ticket.

If you have a first class ticket TO London, then normally you may remain in the restaurant until arrival in London, the only exception being if you have completed your meal by Taunton, and someone boarding at Taunton wishes to dine, and no other seats are free. Almost never happens

If you have only a steerage ticket then you are meant to move out of the restaurant on completing your meal, enforcement is patchy and may depend on the extent of the tip offered.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2013, 15:05:26 »

There's a downside for non-dining passengers.  A lady opposite us in coach G before we moved to F was complaining there was no Travelling Chef, and it seems that only sandwiches were available, and no hot snacks.  I think I've come across this issue before - maybe the scaled down kitchen facilities just don't have the capacity for cooking a good lunch and preparing hot snacks.
I'd guess it just isn't possible to other both the Pullman and the Travelling Chef on the same service. The chef on the Pullman will be occupied preparing the Pullman menu and the kitchen isn't really big enough to have two chefs working in there.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 15, 2013, 15:13:21 »

Probably also issues with storing the uncooked food.  Remember the up services also have to carry the food which will be served on the crew's return journey in the evening so the fridges are pretty full.

Although not of the same quality, it is still possible to get hot food by way of the microwave at the buffet.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 15, 2013, 15:35:37 »

Being almost 20 years lder than BNM, I feel honour bound to mention that you may need to watch your waistline after 40! There seems to be a correlation between thinning hair ( not a problem for BNM , rarely seen without his trademark cap!) and expanding girth, so perhaps some of these slap up feeds courtesy of FGW (First Great Western) may need to be curtailed a little ! Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2013, 16:03:00 »

One more trip next week chuffed. But I'm going for fish as both a starter and a main, so a bit healthier!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: