Delayed
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 15:15:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[367] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[70] "Mayflower"
[54] You see all sorts on the bus.
[38] Where have I been?
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633750 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2013, 17:16:45 »

I have telephoned customer services in the last few minutes and they state that the information I qouted a few posts back is correct and that the Pullmans ARE on the 16-30 and the 18-00.

Which is what Ollie has just told me. Although it's 1633 not 1630.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #331 on: April 16, 2013, 23:17:30 »

Which is what Ollie has just told me.

Thanks, yet again, for your help, Ollie!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 18, 2013, 07:46:51 »

After speaking to members of the catering crew on board the service I caught yesterday it seems that from next week the evening meal service will indeed be on the 18:00 and 19:00 departures from Paddington.  The original plan using the 16:33 and 18:00 was based on crews' lengths of duty which, following discussions, have been revised and thus the new times from next week.  Perhaps not surprisingly I gather the numbers taking a meal on the 16:33 has not been high.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:38 »

I joined bobm on the 1255 up Pullman (again!) yesterday. As it was diverted via Bristol and calling Swindon it made for a cheaper combination of tickets.

The usual high standard of service was very much in evidence. And I'm sure that wasn't just because there were members of management on board. Oh, and chef Mitch Tonks was also dining.

Unfortunately, while the standard of service was excellent, I had cause to complain about the food for the first time ever. I had ordered the fillet steak medium rare but was served a steak that was blue and not very warm in the centre. After eating bits around the end of the steak plus all my veggies I was rather put off by the rest of the severely under done steak. The crew were excellent in dealing with my complaint and the chef himself came out to apologise, seemingly mortified that he had got the 'done-ness' so wrong. I was asked whether I'd like another steak, but I declined. So I was then asked what I would like to be done. I said I'd be happy if the cost of my dessert was removed from the bill but the chief steward instead said he would remove the cost of the main course. Oh, and I was given another pot of the excellent English mustard to take home with me!

So, whilst on this occasion I wasn't happy with one part of my meal, I was very impressed with how my complaint was handled. It hasn't put me off using the Pullman again in future. The only complaints against doing that come from my wallet and waistline!

We chatted briefly with Mitch Tonks before alighting at Swindon. He seemed to give the impression that there may be more Pullmans in the near future beyond the two additional ones already being introduced from May 20th. Telling us that he was actually in conversation with FGW (First Great Western) that day about just such future plans. I asked about South Wales services and he appeared positive. Nothing official of course so I can only say it is rumour at present, but watch this space...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:31 »

Thanks for this Trip Advisor report BNM, much appreciated.  In fact I did write to TA, suggesting they included more on rail and they mentioned a somewhat obscure sub-site.  I think this sort of thing does keep those who wish to be kept on their toes, on their toes. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2013, 11:38:22 »

Sorry to hear of our esteemed members disapointment re the steak, fortunatly this seems to be a very rare event.
I am most interested to hear that more reinstatment of Pullmans is being considered, beyond the two recently announced.

Back in the good old days there were 7 return Pullmans a day between London and the West, and a couple to/from Wales.
There should be slight economies of scale in running more pullmans, sourcing the food and other supplies should not take up much more time for 8 services a day rather than 4, likewise recruiting and training staff does not take up much more time and trouble for 10 staff instead of 5.

I wonder which services are being considered ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:12 »

Sorry to hear of our esteemed members disapointment re the steak, fortunatly this seems to be a very rare event.

It was very rare.  (Sorry couldn't resist that one)  Grin

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:03 »

I wonder if this is franchise renewal based? :-)
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:46 »

It was very rare.  (Sorry couldn't resist that one)  Grin

I don't blame BNM for having a beef about it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2013, 23:52:03 »

Indeed: on very rare occasions, the chef may make a mistake.  He may keep a notebook of such incidents, but hopefully they won't fill it.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:52 »

So what is the latest on current Pullman times ?
FGW (First Great Western) website still says 16-33 and 18-00.
Reliable sources on this website suggested that it WAS 16-33 and 18-00 briefly, but is now 18-00 and 19-00.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 24, 2013, 21:40:03 »

The diversion timetable leaflet clearly shows them as 1201 and 1255 off Plymouth and 1800 and 1900 off Paddington.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 24, 2013, 21:43:43 »

Guess I am going to have to volunteer to travel on one and find out  Grin

Seriously though I was told by one of the crew after the first week that the plan was to run on the 18:00 and 19:00 rather than the 16:33 and 18:00 from the second week onwards but I don't know if this actually has happened.  As I posted before the idea of the earlier timings was to do with staff hours but steps were taken to resolve it.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 25, 2013, 08:42:48 »

The FGW (First Great Western) website still lists both sets of times.
On the Pullman dining page, immediatly under the video link, it is stated that dining is on the 16-33 and the 18-00.
At the bottom of the same page the times are given as 18-00 and 19-00.

It would appear that the second set of times are correct.

I telephoned FGW re this yesterday lunchtime but it has not yet been corrected.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #344 on: April 25, 2013, 23:37:20 »

Hmm.  Cue Ollie, perhaps?  Roll Eyes Shocked

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: