Train RunningDelayed
06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
08:19 Taunton to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 10:38:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[130] "Mayflower"
[100] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] Where have I been?
[34] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[22] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633726 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2013, 12:05:13 »

Seems the 12:06 Pullman service from Paddington is proving popular. There have been double figures taking lunch every day this week bar one. Similarly encouraging figures on the breakfast service.

Among those dining today was Heston Blumenthal. He told me he has travelled on the Pullman before "but not recently". He praised the staff for what they produce in the cramped conditions.

It would be interesting to know how the economics of the Pullman compare to the Travelling Chef, given the fact that this service is not available when the Pullman is operating.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2013, 17:07:36 »

I would expect that a reasonably well patronised Pullman is more profitable than a travelling chef.
Not only is the average spend much greater, but an experienced Pullman crew can serve a dozen or more full meals suprisingly quickly, but the travelling chef service seems to serve only one or two at a time.

The travelling chef service is not bad if one was expecting a buffet, but is not to be compared with a proper restaurant.

I last dined on the Golden Hind last Thursday (23/05/2013) and it was of the usual high standard despite the late arrival of the incoming service and a slightly late departure.
Expect to take lunch on my return on Teusday.

Still/again no Plymouth gin though Sad

AFAIK (as far as I know), proper miniatures of spirits and mixers have returned to buffets rather than the limited choice of ready mixed drinks that they tried recently.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 25, 2013, 17:29:33 »

Not only is the average spend much greater, but an experienced Pullman crew can serve a dozen or more full meals suprisingly quickly, but the travelling chef service seems to serve only one or two at a time.
The restaurant only does the one sitting per journey though, except perhaps the breakfast which may do two? The travelling chef can have a steady stream of passengers throughout the journey, even if the average spend is lower. The travelling chef is probably within more peoples price range as well. I couldn't justify forking out for the restaurant but on a long journey I'm happy to buy something from the travelling chef.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 25, 2013, 18:25:10 »

Just thought I'd advise anyone who wanted to know regarding catering this Bank Holiday Monday:

the answer i got is: we're expecting to have travelling chef, but not pullman

Source... A Certain Forum Member & FGW (First Great Western) Digital Marketing Executive Wink Grin Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 30, 2013, 13:44:54 »

Enjoyed lunch recently on the 13-34 from Taunton, was of the usual high standard. I had smoked salmon, fillet steak, and the cheesboard, and a bottle of wine, also a few ports.

Also met a friend who has tried the re-instated lunchtime service from Paddington, they also felt that the service though generly excellent was a bit rushed.
IME (in my experience), newer Pullman staff tend to rush the service a bit, presumably for fear of running out of time ! Old hands know exactly how much time is needed and are more relaxed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 30, 2013, 13:50:45 »

Also met a friend who has tried the re-instated lunchtime service from Paddington, they also felt that the service though generly excellent was a bit rushed.
IME (in my experience), newer Pullman staff tend to rush the service a bit, presumably for fear of running out of time ! Old hands know exactly how much time is needed and are more relaxed.

I'd certainly agree with that - and it is understandable.  From what I can gather the crews working the morning breakfast and lunchtime west bound service are totally separarate from the afternoon crews and are largely new to the job with just one or two old hands from the days of more Pullmans.  I think they may have been caught out slightly by the demand for lunchtime service too.  Reported double figures most days is probably a slightly higher average than the existing east bound services.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2013, 20:36:31 »

Changes are afoot to the Express Cafe offerings...

The printed price lists and banners above the fridges have been updated with the new offerings from the Express Cafe. Sadly, as I write, the new offerings are patchy. I guess it's a case of running down the old stock, but I've yet to see a new sandwich, and I await with baited (and salivating) breath for the Croque Monsieur.

The Pork Pie has appeared and it's up there with the best that East Leicestershire can offer. Obviously, being from Devon, it can't be advertised as a Melton Mowbray, but it easily matches pies from that neck of the woods. That said, I'm not sure the price represents good value. It's a good pork pie, one of the best I've tasted, but FGW (First Great Western) are charging ^4.00. Too much for a pork pie on it's own. A bit of cheese and a tangy chutney, then maybe four quid would be justified.

The new drinks offerings are in place. Kronenbourg and Carling are good replacements for Stella and Carlsberg. The addition of Bulmers is also welcome for those who like a medium sweet, less harsh cider than Strongbow. Absolut replaces Smirnoff, but there's still no Brandy (which I know will upset broadgage) unless you're dining on the Pullmans.

Today's snack lunch whilst on the Cotswolds Line (S&V Walkers out of shot):

And the blurb from the Pork Pie wrapper:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2013, 21:11:53 »

By coincidence I had one of the pies and a Bulmers on a train to the West Country today. I'm a bit fussy about my pies and don't like a lot of jelly in them. I wasn't disappointed, it was very tasty. However bignosemac makes a good point about the price and the idea of adding cheese and chutney is a brilliant suggestion.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2013, 23:09:40 »

However bignosemac makes a good point about the price and the idea of adding cheese and chutney is a brilliant suggestion.

Just what we need - a budding Heston Bloomin'-thing on the forum ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: June 08, 2013, 11:47:56 »

I'm guessing they used "premium pie" shops, such as Pieminister, as a guide when setting the price.  I believe they are around ^4.50 for a pie, without any mash or other accompaniments.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 08, 2013, 14:18:53 »

And why I ask is brandy not sold in the buffets ?
It is not bulky so virtualy no pressure on the limited space.
It is not perishable, so no risk of waste or loss due to date expirey.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 10, 2013, 23:52:36 »

I did some research on the new pork pies and took a look at the suppliers website http://www.takeachunk.com/.

I was keen to find out what sort of prices they charge on the High Street.  The first place I went to after referring to the list of stockists no longer sold them and the second appeared to be a private house with a mobile catering van.  Huh

After emailing the company I was directed to a third stockist who did indeed have them for sale.

I purchased a pork pie - which was sold loose from under glass rather than in the packaging - but looks (and tastes) the same as the one for sale on board but was priced at ^1.75.  I also bought a chicken and ham pie which was a similar size and cost ^1.95.

We have explored the economics of on board catering here before, but the price mark up does seem rather large if a High Street shop can make a profit selling a pie at such a lower price.  That said they are delicious!

Incidentally neither of the HSTs (High Speed Train) I travelled on yesterday (Sunday) had any pork pies for sale.  It wasn't clear if they had sold out or never had any in the first place.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 11, 2013, 00:17:23 »

Around ^2 on the High St seems about right for what is a quality pork pie. FGW (First Great Western) have to charge VAT (Value Added Tax) for food on trains so that bumps up the price some more. Then they have their buffet operation overheads to factor in. And finally their profit margin.

Without knowing their costs it's difficult to say whether ^4 is excessive. The sandwiches are around the same price and it's nice to have the choice of something a little different, but I agree that the price of the pork pie is at the upper limit of value for money.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 11, 2013, 14:44:33 »

GNER (Great North Eastern Railways), for one year perhaps, did a slice of excellent game pie for about ^4 then but it was well worth it, with a bit of fresh salad if fancied. Mind that was in the days they did bottled regional real ale and regional cheeses. Imaginative and superb.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 14, 2013, 20:51:56 »

From http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/10483627.Return_of_silver_service_on_Penzance___Paddington_service_judged__strictly__perfect/?ref=mr

Quote from: falmouthpacket

Return of silver service on Penzance - Paddington service judged 'strictly' perfect
7:00am Friday 14th June 2013 in News .

Strictly Come Dancing Judge Craig Revel Horwood has been among the first to enjoy a silver service breakfast as First Great Western launch its new Pullman breakfast train.

The 05.05 Penzance to London Paddington (departing Plymouth 06.55) breakfast Pullman Dining service launched this morning, accompanying another new dining train, the 12.06 from London Paddington to Penzance.

From smoked salmon cured in Somerset, to a recipe developed by restaurateur and food writer Mitch Tonks, to whole grilled kipper on the bone, or smoked Wiltshire back bacon, all food is cooked on board by chefs.

Mitch said: ^Living in Devon I am surrounded by some of the best ingredients in the world and I am committed to supporting seasonal food in the South West.

^Developing this menu with First Great Western and our West Country suppliers has been great fun and a privilege. We keep on finding more and more top quality producers across Devon, Dorset, Wales and Cornwall ^ and what better way to eat it, than as you travel through the beautiful countryside from which it was produced.^

Andrew George MP (Member of Parliament) for St Ives said: ^Regular passengers will be delighted to see the return of the Pullman breakfast on the Golden Hind.

^Excellent dining facilities are an essential part of the journey experience for long distance passengers, and this is something that First Great Western do very well indeed.^

Chris Pomfret, Chair of the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership, added: ^The new Pullman breakfast and additional lunch service are excellent news for business travellers. The evening Pullman dining cars are a highly sought after service and having such good quality, locally sourced food is important for long distance customers.

^These are the only dedicated restaurant cars in the whole of the UK (United Kingdom) and it is great to see them being extended and developed for the benefit of Cornish passengers.^

First Great Western Head of Marketing Philip Edgerton said: ^First Great Western is committed to supporting the communities we serve. What better way to do that than by helping local farmers and producers and serve up dishes cooked with their own ingredients; prepared and presented with the skill and delicacy that this top of the range produce deserves.^

The breakfast and additional lunch time Pullman service by First Great Western add to two evening trains from London to the West Country and two lunch time trains from the West Country into London, five days a week.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: