16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:35:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633096 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2013, 20:14:38 »

I wonder if they will start laying a couple of tables in G as is done on the evening services ?

Presumably you then have to eat your meal in silence?

Edit note: Quote marks amended, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 21:08:40 by chris from nailsea » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 17, 2013, 10:24:05 »

Normal conversation seems to be accepted, but I would not use a mobile phone or other noise maker.
Lest the taking of food orders and serving of same be considered unduly noisy, IMHO (in my humble opinion) the quiet coach should no longer be G but should be the end coach H.
After all, the standard class quite coach is A, the end one and it seems sensible to designate the end coaches thus as they have no through traffic.

I have previously speculated as to why G is the quiet coach, and a respected member said it was because the end coach, H was formerly for smokers. This is no doubt so, but now that smoking has been banned for years it might be time to review this.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 15:28:54 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 17, 2013, 18:54:00 »

I wonder if they will start laying a couple of tables in G as is done on the evening services ?

The problem is all the food has to be loaded at the Plymouth end and I understand the fridge space is limited. While it is possible for the crew on the 19:03 to get more supplies sent up on the 15:00 if they have a run on something, it might be problematic carring sufficient food to provide more meals in the up direction on a regular basis.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 19, 2013, 14:04:34 »

You mean that if the up restaurants become too busy, that there might be no fillet steak left FOR ME on the corresponding down service !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 20, 2013, 14:47:44 »

The last couple of trips I have had there has been no gurnard and it has been replaced by a very nice piece of grilled plaice.  I'm a confirmed steak eater, but it tempted me to try it and I was not disappointed.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2013, 12:02:12 »

I took dinner on the 18-03 last Friday (23/08/2013)
The food was of the usual excellent qaulity, the service was a bit rushed because of a last minute set swap.
The set booked for this service was found to have no water available in the kitchen, and therefore an alternative train was used thereby limiting the time that the Pullman crew had to prepare.

I was however not impressed with the alternative train used. This had at least 2 defective seats in coach F.
2F and 2R both defaulted to the fully reclined position, no matter what adjustment was attempted. OK perhaps for lying back and sleeping, but not suitable for sitting upright.
The restaurant was full, so I could not take an alternative seat, another customer was similarly inconvienienced.

I am almost certain that the same 2 seats were broken on an up service recently.

sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2013, 18:24:02 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the seat manufacturer for the 1st class seats went out of business, making procuring spare parts for the seats difficult. Not sure what's happened since with that regard. 

All opinions are my own.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2013, 19:11:44 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion) the quiet coach should no longer be G but should be the end coach H.
After all, the standard class quite coach is A, the end one and it seems sensible to designate the end coaches thus as they have no through traffic.

I have previously speculated as to why G is the quiet coach, and a respected member said it was because the end coach, H was formerly for smokers. This is no doubt so, but now that smoking has been banned for years it might be time to review this.

Broadgage I agree completely. I've raised this point on the forum before a couple of times. I believe member: super tm said it was because H used to be the smoking carriage.

It would make sense to make H the quiet carriage as you say to prevent through traffic. The toilet on the power car side is no more, so it makes more sense.

No too long ago I was on an HST (High Speed Train) set where there were no working toilets in First (Well not strictly true but the less said the better on that one Roll Eyes ). Leaving the nearest in Coach F (Micro Buffet). A few quiet coach occupants were less than pleased at the folks traipsing through G to get to the Buffet Car and the toilets.

If the quiet coach had been in H then this wouldn't have been an issue as you wouldn't need to walk to the power car end for the bog.

I think laying up a few tables for the Pullman in Coach G is acceptable and the chances are you wouldn't want to take a call mid meal (Sssssh pedants...!) However I think conversation at a normal tone should be allowed.

On weekends especially I've seen numerous passengers get very hostile with passengers walking through. Especially with young children walking up and down and looking for interesting things to do on the 3+ hour journey from London Paddington - Plymouth.

Of course when you have 2 Coach G's in the consist with one labelled up as an H, then things start to get interesting... Unfortunately that does happen Grin Shocked Tongue Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2013, 20:14:35 »

the chances are you wouldn't want to take a call mid meal

Unless you want to be mealy-mouthed about it.  Smiley
John R

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2013, 07:04:20 »

As a daily user of coach G I have never had any problem with through traffic from H. It doesn't bother me at all. With the trolley service it's fairly limited anyway.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 29, 2013, 09:50:43 »

Took lunch yesterday on the earlier of the 2 up trains, cant fault the restaurant, but again at least 2 broken seats that are stuck in the fully reclined position, or that if placed in the upright position then unexpectedly recline.

Not such a big deal as the restaurant was not full and other seats available.

Also no water for handwashing in the nearest 2 toilets, presumably the tap was defective as water was available to flush the WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)).

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 29, 2013, 11:55:45 »

Took lunch yesterday on the earlier of the 2 up trains, cant fault the restaurant, but again at least 2 broken seats that are stuck in the fully reclined position, or that if placed in the upright position then unexpectedly recline.

Also no water for handwashing in the nearest 2 toilets, presumably the tap was defective as water was available to flush the WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)).

Please report the faults to the TM(resolve) where possible, because if we don't put them in the fault book and notify Maintenance of the faults, then they just won't ever get fixed.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 04, 2013, 14:23:32 »

Please report the faults to the TM(resolve) where possible, because if we don't put them in the fault book and notify Maintenance of the faults, then they just won't ever get fixed.

I do ! but I have my doubts as to what is done.
It often seems that the same seats are still/again broken on subsequent journeys, I cant be certain of course as I dont record which sets are used.
However both 2R and 2F in coach F are either broken on several trains, or are broken on the one that I get.
On the set that is regularly used on the earlier up Pullman, 1F is broken.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 05, 2013, 21:59:38 »

Competition running until 2359 11th September 2013 to win a 3 course lunch (incl. wine) for two on the FGW (First Great Western) Pullman lunch services.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/eNewsletter/Competitions/2013/September/win-a-three-course-meal-for-two

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: September 06, 2013, 13:21:43 »

What is the difference between Traveling Chef and Pullman apart from the menu. Is the Traveling Chef a 'go to the buffet and collect your meal and take it back to your seat in standard' while Pullman is 'sit in the resturant car, even if you only have a standard class ticket, and we'll bring food to you'?

Oh well, maybe after IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)... guess I should go look at that thread now.
The draft IEP seating layouts on the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) website suggest that cooked meals will be reduced to first class passengers only. The only kitchen/buffet is tucked away in the 1st class driving vehicle, standard class is left with just a parking place for a trolley.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: