19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 03:11:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633011 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2013, 13:28:03 »

The travelling chef menu is intended to be served at ones table if seated in first, or taken away to ones seat if in steerage.
The table service in first does not allways appear.

The Pullman menu is proper restaurant meals served at a properly laid table such as one would expect in any good class restaurant.
The travelling chef food and service is much cheaper, but more akin to what one would expect in a pub or cafe rather than a restaurant.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 11, 2013, 15:27:32 »

I took lunch on the earlier of the up trains yesterday and am pleased to report that the Pullman was well patronised with about 14 seats taken.

Cant fault the food or service. It certainly seems that FGW (First Great Western) are belatedly taking restaurants seriously.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 30, 2013, 15:33:19 »

I remain impressed with the Pullman, but increasingly disapointed with the seating.
Growing number of first class seats are either stuck in the fully reclined position, or unexpectedly default to the fully reclined position when one sits.

I have complained to FGW (First Great Western) about this and recently received what I suspect to be a standard reply.
Does not seem to be getting any better though.

This is a problem throughout First class, but is more important in F, the vehicle used for restaurant services.
Elswhere in First it matters less since many customers prefer to recline, and for those who dont it is usually easy to select an alternative seat.
Hardly anyone wishes to recline whilst eating, and often every seat is taken.

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2013, 17:46:43 »

Monday 23rd September myself and ladyfriend were booked on the 10:30 London Paddington - Bath Spa. We booked this train in particular as it has a travelling chef.

Anyhow the set was changed at the last minute and we ended up with a set that had a TSMB. Which meant that the cancellation of the Travelling Chef was the special of the day.

I'll get my coat! Angry Shocked Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 01, 2013, 11:51:06 »

For those who thought ^4 for the new "Squealer" pork pies from the FGW (First Great Western) Express Cafes was a bit steep, I fear the latest addition may give you indigestion.

Billed as the FGW Larder it comes with a small jar of chutney, a total six oatcakes of differing flavours, a knife and either a portion of cheese or a jar of pate.    I will confess it is very tasty despite the lack of any butter or spread.  However it is charged at ^5 for the box and ^3 for the cheese or pate!  ^8 would buy you a couple of sandwiches which would satisfy your appetite somewhat better I think!

Right hand one shows contents unpacked
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 01, 2013, 16:06:27 »

More detail on the 'Great Western Larder':

http://en-route.com/uk/news-nibbles/great-western-larder-box/

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 01, 2013, 17:04:47 »

For those who thought ^4 for the new "Squealer" pork pies from the FGW (First Great Western) Express Cafes was a bit steep, I fear the latest addition may give you indigestion.

Billed as the FGW Larder it comes with a small jar of chutney, a total six oatcakes of differing flavours, a knife and either a portion of cheese or a jar of pate.    I will confess it is very tasty despite the lack of any butter or spread.  However it is charged at ^5 for the box and ^3 for the cheese or pate!  ^8 would buy you a couple of sandwiches which would satisfy your appetite somewhat better I think!

Right hand one shows contents unpacked

I thought the cheese option for ^6.50 and pate ^8 ?  Pate was definitely more...

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 01, 2013, 18:06:03 »

Well I was certainly charged ^5 for the box and then ^3 each for the cheese and pate last night. They were itemised separately on the receipt rather than an all in price.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 01, 2013, 19:15:58 »

Never mind. I can't imagine they'll be available on an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trolley, so it's only a temporary thing (unless you're travelling to the South West possibly).

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 02, 2013, 08:44:02 »

I thought the cheese option for ^6.50 and pate ^8 ?  Pate was definitely more...

Checked on board this morning and you are correct Super Guard. Looks like I was overcharged for the cheese. I'm not sure that ^6.50 isn't still a bit steep but you pays your money and takes your choice. Still prefer the pork pies!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 06, 2013, 13:09:16 »

Interesting article in RAIL* by Barry Doe giving a generaly favourable view of services in Cornwall by FGW (First Great Western).
Through services by High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) from relatively small stations are noted as being an advantage of both local and long distance services being in the same hands.

In particular the "excellent full sized buffet" in an 8 car High Speed Train (HST) is noted, as is the "excellent lunch" recently enjoyed in the re-instated Pullman from Paddington.

As it says in the article "how astounding that other operators do not see the value of proper dining on long distance journeys-something that other modes cant offer and adds huge value to railways"

Cant agree more !

I travel regulary between London and the West on FGW services, partly because of the restaurant on board.
If not for the restaurant I would probably go by road.

*page 46, rail 732

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:10:47 by VickiS » Logged

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 14, 2013, 11:07:03 »

Does anyone know

Firstly, are any more Pulmans to be re-instated ? rumours continue to circulate, but does anyone know ?

Secondly, is anything special planned in the Pullmans for Christmas ? Turkey ? Christmas pudding ? Beef Wellington*, free port Smiley

Thirdly, does anyone know how the reductions in First class accomadation will affect the services that have Pullmans ?
At present the sets used on Pullman services usually have 2 and a half first class coaches. Is this to remain as is ? or be reduced to 2 coaches only ? or be reduced to 1 and a half coaches.

On the Golden Hind, the restaurant is often full, with the remainder of First well filled, I doubt that any reduction in First will go down very well on that service.

*Not proper Beef Wellington, but a fillet steak served in a similar way, still very enjoyable though. Dont think that it appeared last year unfortunatly.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 14, 2013, 16:35:27 »

I doubt that any reduction in First will go down very well on that service.
I also doubt that the reduction in First class will go down well on many peak time morning and evening services for those who have paid the full First class fare only to find there are less seats in First class. Unless of course FGW (First Great Western) reconfigure the 1.5 First class carriages to provide more seats or jack up the prices which they can easily do as they are not regulated. With many now using laptop's/tablets etc, is there any need to have so many tables with four seats?

Regards the Pullman services. My theory is that there will be a few sets that remain with 2.5 First Class that are diagrammed to operate the Pullman trains. I really cannot see this service being able to be provided with just 1.5 on as you say the well loaded 18.03 Golden Hind.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 14, 2013, 22:51:11 »

I think it may become increasingly common that standard class passengers have to wait to see how many first class passengers wish to dine on the London bound lunchtime services.

On a couple of trips recently the Service Leader has asked standard class passengers to wait until after Exeter before taking a seat.  Today the 12:01 had all 17 seats taken by Newton Abbot.

It is actually in the "terms and conditions" but has never really been necessary on the lunchtime trains before.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 16, 2013, 16:52:24 »

Decided on the 16:23 Westbury - Taunton train today as it has should have a Travelling Chef...

Announcements at WSB» (Westbury - next trains) were that the train had a Traveling Chef. Got onboard and went to the buffet to place an order after getting board of waiting for the Trolley to come through 1ST. Get told there was no Chef today Angry

This is the second consecutive time I have deliberately chosen a particular train for a TC(resolve) and it's not been provided. If only FGW (First Great Western) took as much interest in TCs as they do their Pullmans.

Incidentally we have just left Castle Cary and still no 1ST Trolley Angry

I'm sat in Coach F and I can here what sounds like personal chit chat from Staff in the Buffet... I may have to interrupt them for a cuppa... Roll Eyes Lips sealed Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: