Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 18:42:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[270] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[87] "Mayflower"
[77] You see all sorts on the bus.
[49] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line
[41] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[38] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633951 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:54 »

I took lunch yesterday (06/01/2014) on the earlier of the two lunchtime trains and was pleasently suprised that a Pullman service was provided.

Yesterday was the first day that restaurant service was due to be provided after the holidays, and previously provision has been unreliable after holidays.
With the bad weather as well I was not really expecting a Pullman.

The meal was of the usual high standard.

The train was significantly delayed, due I believe to lightning damage to signalling equipment.
Full marks to the catering department.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 07, 2014, 15:31:10 »

The delay was due to a points failure at the entrance to the single line between Liskeard and Bodmin Parkway and tidal flooding causing the track circuits to fail in the Penzance area, both on the journey down to Penzance. I don't think any of the delays were actually due to lightening yesterday.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 07, 2014, 18:22:03 »

This morning they took the pragmatic decision to terminate the 07:02 from Plymout at Truro so the return journey could start back from there on time, rather than 43 minutes late from Penzance as yesterday.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 07, 2014, 22:16:04 »

That was the plan, but it didn't actually happen in the end due to signalling problems at Truro preventing the service reversing there. I imagine the High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) would have to have been shunted and stabled in Truro Yard during the layover, but the Yard may well have been full/blocked with units which were unable to run on the Falmouth branch due to the lightening strike. Today's service therefore also started late, but only 16 minutes late, but was still 39 minutes late by London.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:02:54 by VickiS » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 20, 2014, 09:06:37 »

Does anyone know what the new Pullman menu will consist of ?
Dining services are being limited due to the closure of Whiteball tunnel, and it is said that a new menu will introduced when this work is finished.

Hopefully the excellent fillet steat will be retained ? as this seems to be the most popular main course.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 20, 2014, 12:44:14 »

No news yet on the new menu.

I believe that Pullman staff will presently be going to Mitch Tonk's restaurant in Dartmouth to sample/select new dishes.

The new menu is due to go live following the completion of the work on Whiteball Tunnel. As soon as I, or more likely, fellow Mod/Admin bobm (who dines more frequently than me!), hears or sees the new menu, we will ensure this topic is updated.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 20, 2014, 17:18:38 »

Well I have a timetable book showing the amended trains for the Whiteball Tunnel Closure and I can't work out the travelling chef services from it. Found the Pullmans though without any drama.

However it seems that the timetable hasn't been too well constructed. Nearly all CrossCountry Trains listed are without First Class Accommodation being available. Also some FGW (First Great Western) services are shown as having First Class Accomodation, Buffet Service but are not listed as High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train))s... Shocked

I'm going to ask FGW on their facebook about Travelling Chefs as I am more likely to use a Travelling Chef than a Pullman.

As much as I like the idea of the Pullman, the food is perhaps a little bit too "extravagant" [can't think of the right work] for me. As in I know I can eat cheese on toast and what that is. However a Squash and Spinach Bastilla I have no idea what it is, how it's made or if there is anything in it that I'm not going to agree with.

I am a person who likes simple descriptions of food such as "Egg and Chips" and also food that is bland. I eat Stir Fry with no sauces or anything. Just fried in Olive Oil... Shocked Roll Eyes Lips sealed

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:03:51 by VickiS » Logged

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 20, 2014, 18:09:50 »

As much as I like the idea of the Pullman, the food is perhaps a little bit too "extravagant" [can't think of the right work] for me.
  Posh?  Grin Grin

Seriously though I am a bit like that - but for all the fancy descriptions the Pullman fayre is (or can be) basically plain.  As it is all cooked to order if you don't want a sauce you can ask not to.  I, for instance, don't have the salsa verde with the lamb or the chutney with the curry.

No news yet on the new menu.

I believe that Pullman staff will presently be going to Mitch Tonk's restaurant in Dartmouth to sample/select new dishes.

The new menu is due to go live following the completion of the work on Whiteball Tunnel. As soon as I, or more likely, fellow Mod/Admin bobm (who dines more frequently than me!), hears or sees the new menu, we will ensure this topic is updated.  Cheesy

My information at the moment is sketchy but I think the steak is sacrosanct.  The curry is likely to go as it is not perceived to be good value for money and it is a hassle to cook as you need to do the rice as well as the vegetables for the other dishes.  The two new items I have heard mentioned are lobster which I assume would be a main course and mussels, which could be either a starter or a main.  Time will tell...
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 20, 2014, 20:03:38 »

I can see the merit in removing the curry from the menu.
Curry is a dish readily prepared in advance and stored chilled, and reheated as needed. I suspect that a curry NEARLY as good could be served profitably at half the Pullman price, on the travelling chef service.

Better IMO (in my opinion) to serve in the Pullman dishes that cant be readily prepared in advance but that absolutely need to be cooked fresh by a chef. Good examples are grilled fish or meat.

I certainly hope that the fillet steak is "sacrosanct" and that they continue to serve it with either Cafe de Paris butter as at present, or some other rich or creamy sauce.
IF lobster is to be offered, then this is often served with hollandaise sauce, which some people like with steak Smiley Alleged to be fattening though.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 20, 2014, 20:14:40 »

A classic Lobster Thermidor would get my vote. As would Mussels in a creamy white wine Mariniere style sauce as a starter. Or as a main with frites.

In fact it was Mussels prepared just that way (minus the frites) that I had as a starter for a family gathering meal this past weekend. Although the portion was arguably large enough to be a main. I struggled with my main course!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 21, 2014, 10:23:36 »

I am not keen on lobster for myself, but feel that it would be popular with others and therefore worthwhile.
My Sister very much enjoys lobster and would be more likely to dine with me if this was served.

And a trivial point, but what happened to the "candles" in the Pullman ? hardly essiential but they added a nice touch.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 27, 2014, 18:37:12 »

Early unofficial heads up on the new menu rotations beginning after the completion of the Whiteball Tunnel works. I must stress that these are not officially confirmed and may be subject to change.

Rotation 1

Starters
  • Pullman Reserve Smoked Salmon
  • Devilled Crab on Sourdough Toast
  • Whipped Beets with Burrata and Walnuts (v)

Mains
  • Westcountry Prime Fillet Steak with Cafe de Paris Butter or Horseradish Butter
  • Fish of the Day (Pollock or Coley) with Creamed Leeks
  • Grilled Dorset Veal Chop with Devon Blue Cheese Butter
  • Baked Aubergine with Laverstoke Farm Mozzarella (v)
Served with Cornish Mids, Courgettes and Cornish Cauliflower Cheese

Desserts
  • Blue Cheese and Fig Tart
  • Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding with Rodda's Cream
  • Cheeseboard

Rotation 2

Starters
  • River Exe Mussels with Dry White Wine, Garlic and Bay Sauce
  • Twice Baked Westcountry Cheese Souffle (v)

Mains
  • Westcountry Prime Fillet Steak with Cafe de Paris Butter or Horseradish Butter
  • Lemon Sole and Brown Shrimps with Mace, Parsley and Lemon Butter
  • Devon Roasted Duck with Orange and Sage
  • Gnocchi with Truffle Oil and either Parmesan or Sheeps Milk Cheese (v)
Served with Potato Gratin, Cornish Leeks and Carrots

Desserts
  • Paddington Pudding with Rodda's Cream
  • Cheeseboard

Rotation 3

Starters
  • West Country Fish Soup
  • Wild Mushrooms on Sourdough Toast (v)

Mains
  • Grey Mullet Fillet with Roasted Garlic, Rosemary and Chilli, en Papiliote
  • Dorset Lamb Shoulder Joint with White Bean Sauce
  • Penne with Slow Cooked Tomatoes and Nordsworthy Cheese or Mushroom and Spinach Bastilla (v)
Served with Saute Sliced Potatoes, Savoy Cabbage and Broccoli

Desserts
  • Chocolate Orange Mousse with Rodda's Cream or Espresso Pannecotta with Coffee Caramel
  • Cheeseboard

The make-up of the Cheesboard is TBC, as are the wines.

There's a new Gin in addition to Gordon's - 6 o'Clock Gin, 43%ABV. Tried one today. Very nice indeed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 20:08:14 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2014, 08:12:52 »

Splendid  Smiley feeling hungry already  Smiley

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2014, 13:32:59 »

I'm assuming that marmalade will somehow be involved with the Paddington PuddingGrin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2014, 13:39:27 »

Possibly - http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-051r93.html

(not that this is necessarily the receipe to be used on the train)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: