24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 20:06:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[166] You see all sorts on the bus.
[68] "Mayflower"
[38] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line
[32] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633965 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2014, 14:09:24 »

The six o clock gin sounds good, but I fear that it will be hugely expensive.
The retail price is ^28-50 a bottle, or very roughly twice that of Gordons gin.

Dont know how much a miniature will be, but presumably a lot more than Gordons, hope it is worth it.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2014, 14:24:00 »

As I said upthread, I tried one of the 6 o'clock Gins on the Pullman the other day. It was ^5.50 (50ml). Add ^1 for Schweppes Indian tonic.

I took a sip of the gin before mixing and I noted a fruitier taste than Gordons. Taste can be subjective though.

The distillers offer a tonic water that is designed to complement this gin. No word on whether the Pullmans will carry this in addition to Schweppes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 14:29:08 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2014, 14:36:56 »

^5-50 is very reasonable for a premium product, remembering that this is for twice the measure normaly served in a pub.
^1 for the tonic is cheaper than most pubs, about ^1-20 to ^1-50 seems typical.

But will the six o clock gin be served BY six o clock on the Golden Hind ? that is 3 minutes before departure, hopefully provided that the incoming train is on time thereby giving the Pullman crew time to prepare.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2014, 14:41:43 »

Well it will for the next week and a half as the train leaves at 17:03!  After that there are always the three lunchtime Pullmans.

I also understand that tawny port will also be available from the menu change (with no time restrictions  Grin )
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2014, 19:59:38 »

As much as I like the idea of the Pullman, the food is perhaps a little bit too "extravagant" [can't think of the right work] for me.

Posh?  Grin Grin

Seriously though I am a bit like that - but for all the fancy descriptions the Pullman fayre is (or can be) basically plain.  As it is all cooked to order if you don't want a sauce you can ask not to.  I, for instance, don't have the salsa verde with the lamb or the chutney with the curry.

This was the very word I was going to use and spent about 10 minutes desperately trying to avoid; Because I really didn't want to. I then considered formal but decided against that too.

I'll bear your additional comments in mind though so thanks. I get seriously put off by "posh" description of foods but this is just my ASD I think. For example, how many ways can you say egg and chips? Well in the high end restaurant business it seems there are endless ways. Where as "Egg and Chips" I know where I stand with that. There are alot of foods I cannot eat without some form of consequential effect. But Travelling Chef Cheese on Toast is perfectly described for me.

At a Christmas Meal recently I asked for a plain pasta with cheese. The chef however decided that there was a mistake with the "order" and created what looked like an amazing piece of food. Sadly as it contained meat I had to send it back, otherwise I would have very likely eaten it. The chef then came down to see what the actual order was and was stunned to find it was exactly as written on the list for the whole booking.

The Christmas meal the year before I ordered a plate of vegetables as there was a severe lack of Vegetarian options (Well non-existent actually) Well the chef there used his initiative and created cauliflower cheese. thetrout hates cauliflower cheese Angry

So when the waitress bought it to the table and said "Plate of vegetables, the chef has done you some cauliflower cheese, is that ok" my response was "Well it's not a plate of vegetables is it?" The waitress apologised and offered to take it back, I refused citing people in the world are starving and that I will eat it but would like to speak to the chef after the meal. Secretly I actually quite liked the cauliflower cheese as it was done with melted cheese and not a sauce so actually rather enjoyed it, as much as I didn't want to admit it. At the end of the meal I explained to the chef that I am Autistic so when I said plate of vegetables, that is what I meant in a very literal sense. I also thanked him for the cauliflower cheese and said it was a dish ordinarily I wouldn't order but was very good all the same. The next time I went there for a meal about 2 months later and ordered a plate of vegetables. It appeared the chef took everything with good grace as I received just that, a plate of roast vegetables Grin

Back to the topic, FGW (First Great Western) replied to my Facebook Post regarding Travelling Chefs and initially describing the amendment to the Pullmans. I replied saying that I was not after the info about the Pullman to which I was linked to this page:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/contents/taunton-exeter-2014

which includes the line halfway down the page very cryptically

Travelling chef services will not be available on services diverted via Honiton.

Angry Angry Angry Angry

Would it have been too much trouble to have said, sorry no, they won't be available. Also I was specific to the time of train I was using (1C86 - 14:06 London Paddington - Penzance - The Cornishman) which AFAIK (as far as I know) has NEVER had a Pullman? So on a different issue it seems the Facebook Team don't know that much about the catering either.

If anyone saw the post on Facebook did you think I was clear enough on the request?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 28, 2014, 20:56:49 »

Can't comment on Facebook as I never use it but taking a couple of your other points.

The 14:06 - way back in the early 1980s there was a Pullman on that service. It was the first one I ever caught. I'm also pleased to say the chief steward that day is still working on the restaurants - although they are called service leaders now.

I can really empathise with your choice of menu items. Just watched tonight's Michael Portillo programme where he tried oysters (again).  I've never had them before so I have no idea what they taste like. There is no reason why I shouldn't like them - just not brave enough to try in case I don't.

So it is the same with the new menu posted earlier.  There are a few things on there I have not had but can I be persuaded to try them or stick with what I know? 

Occasionally I have been brave. I now like goats cheese having first had it on the train. Same with salmon.

I guess I just stay in my comfort zone and make no apologies for that so I know just what you mean.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 28, 2014, 21:19:15 »

Plenty on that new menu for me to try. Omnivore, me (except for liver and Brussels sprouts!). Rotation 2 catches me eye. Mussels followed by Duck, and Paddington Pudding to finish. Yum.

Just watched tonight's Michael Portillo programme where he tried oysters (again). 

...Where he asked a lady, vox pop, "Are you a chewer or a swallower?" And he did that with a straight face. Consummate professional or deliberate attempt to feature on Radio 1's 'Innuendo Bingo'? You decide. Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 28, 2014, 21:22:19 »

I can see it now - you are going to be such a nag over my choices when I go with you on the Pullman now.

I get pestered enough about my aversion to vegetables as it is!  Can't even hide behind the curry to avoid them now!!
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #503 on: January 28, 2014, 23:17:32 »

...Where he asked a lady, vox pop, "Are you a chewer or a swallower?" And he did that with a straight face. Consummate professional or deliberate attempt to feature on Radio 1's 'Innuendo Bingo'? You decide. Grin
[/quote]

I saw the Railway Journeys programme this evening, this comment of Michael Portillo's gave my friend and I a fit of the giggles....! Cheesy 

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #504 on: January 28, 2014, 23:25:20 »

The spirit of Humphrey Lyttleton lives on.  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 04, 2014, 17:01:16 »

Well I enquired about the Pullman on the 17:03 in the First Class Lounge this evening. The host checked and it's worse than first expected... Due to the flooding, No Pullmans until further notice... Lips sealed Embarrassed Shocked

Incidentally however a couple of staff members on the 17:03 are wearing a Pullman Uniform so I'm not sure whether they are a London crew or not. It would make sense if they were London Crew because the 17:03 turns around at Exeter St Davids and comes back again.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 04, 2014, 17:11:47 »

Yesterday a Plymouth crew worked up from Exeter and should have returned on the 17:03 had it not been cancelled.  Today it is anyone's guess!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 04, 2014, 17:28:16 »

Yes it is a Plymouth crew. They were Taxi'ed to Exeter St Davids and are returning on the 17:03. The train is running (I'm sat in it!) but the Pullman is not Sad

Just goes to show my lucky streaks... The very rare opportunity arises for a Pullman Meal and the Restaurant Cancellation is the special of the day (sorry for the pun!)

The Host in the First Class Lounge told me however that all Pullmans cancelled until further notice (Mentioned nothing about their associated trains though)

The Pullman Host on the train (doing the First Class At Seat Trolley) said the equipment couldn't get up to the train hence why there is no Restaurant Service.

I now have an Egg and Rocket Sandwich for dinner......... Lips sealed Embarrassed Undecided

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 04, 2014, 23:52:11 »

FYI (for your information), there are no London based Pullman crews - they are all Plymouth based.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:04 »

I can understand that under present circumstances they cant realisticly provide a Pullman service, indeed very few trains are running.

However what is the point of having a "catering updates" section on the FGW (First Great Western) website if this does not advise one.

It seems simple to put on the website "no Pullmans at present due to extreme weather"

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: