Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:08:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629357 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: February 10, 2014, 22:54:33 »

I know some are assisting on other trains or being sent to local stations to help with customer service and information.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 10, 2014, 23:50:38 »

I travelled up on the 13:04 from Exeter today - which in normal circumstances would have been the 10:00 from Penzance and normally has a Pullman from Plymouth.

Several of the Pullman crew were staffing the buffet and first class trolley after being sent from Plymouth by road.  Working out of a mini-buffet it was very cosy!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 11, 2014, 02:17:10 »

FYI (for your information), there are no London based Pullman crews - they are all Plymouth based.

Thanks Super Guard Wink Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 11, 2014, 09:50:33 »

Glad to hear they're not just dossing around in messrooms!   Wink  Still not good news for the Pullman though to be suspended for so long.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2014, 13:18:22 »

Well the good news is the Pullmans will return in a limited fashion on Monday

Had this from FGW (First Great Western) with permission to pass it on.

The Pullman Dining services are currently suspended until Monday 10th February. From Monday 10th we will run a reduced Pullman Dining service. Two services will operate, a lunchtime Exeter to London Paddington service departing Exeter at 13.04 and an evening service from London Paddington to Exeter departing at 17.33

I understand steps are being taken to move the equipment needed to Exeter by road and the necessary food storage equipment is being hired in to run the operation from St Davids until the line is restored to Plymouth.

The old menus will be used with the launch of the new ones postponed.

As we all know, this did not happen due to the weather related disruption getting worse.

It now appears however that matters are much improved, at least as far as Exeter with a "near normal" service being hoped for tomorrow.
Might we therefore hope to see a return of the Pullman ? If they are going to all that trouble for a single return service a day, then it seems to me that they might as well run two services a day.
2 up services at lunchtime, and 2 down ones early evening.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 20, 2014, 12:18:58 »

The Pullmans return!

Just had this from FGW (First Great Western)

From Monday 24 February, due to
flooding and storm damage at Dawlish, we are able to operate a limited Pullman Dining service. Two trains a day will run between Exeter St Davids and London Paddington:
^   Departing Exeter at 1304, arriving in London Paddington at 1521
^   Departing London Paddington at 1801, arriving in Exeter at 2013
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 20, 2014, 12:29:29 »

Oh good  Smiley

Presuming that this actually happens, then I congratulate FGW (First Great Western) for this.

Have postponned a planned trip West for fear that the Whiteball tunnel works would over run.
In fact the works went well, but look what else has happened since  Sad

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 20, 2014, 12:43:58 »

Is there a slight typo there or has the 1803 been retimed to leave 2 minutes earlier?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:32 »

Is there a slight typo there or has the 1803 been retimed to leave 2 minutes earlier?

Well spotted.  I'm not sure - the email I had said 18:01 and it has just been posted on the website as 18:01.  I'll check...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 20, 2014, 13:25:19 »

Bignosemac wins the "I-Spy" badge - it is indeed 18:03 not 18:01.  Still you might need to get there early to beat the rush of hungry diners!  Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 20, 2014, 13:43:20 »

Todays 11:06 London Paddington - Exeter St Davids service (The Mayflower) was booked to have a Travelling Chef. First Great Westerns WebTIS said so. As did Real Time Trains: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P70306/2014/02/20

Guess what...? No Travelling Chef...! Angry Angry :Lets hope the same fate does not become the order of the day for the Pullmans next week Lips sealed Undecided Roll Eyes

Before anyone jumps on me about the difficult circumstances etc. I do appreciate that and although I'm disappointed, I had some Soup at Pumpkin in Taunton instead Smiley

However that is yet another none showing Travelling Chef for me...! *sigh*

To make it worse the CIS (Customer Information System) was showing as the train having a Travelling Chef Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #536 on: February 20, 2014, 14:48:52 »

Time quoted is the real time that passengers need to know  Grin  Grin

Train doors may be shut up to 40 seconds before the departure of the train, and second standard class passengers need to clear the barriers a further 80 seconds earlier in order to walk up the platform to a non-first carriage and squeeze in.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:21 »

Typo AFAIK (as far as I know), since it now says 18-03 on the webite where yesterday it said 18-01.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 21, 2014, 11:19:25 »

It was changed thanks to bignosemac spotting it....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:53 »

Didn't even have me glasses on.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: