19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 03:43:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633016 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 24, 2014, 07:13:20 »

Could there be another error in the info posted on the 'Pullman Dining' page?

The service departing Exeter St Davids is showing as 1301 in all the online systems I've checked. Not 1304.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #541 on: February 24, 2014, 07:21:54 »

The service departing Exeter St Davids is showing as 1301 in all the online systems I've checked. Not 1304.

The downloadable online timetables on the FGW (First Great Western) site show the 10:00 from Penzance going forward at 13:04 - that's probably where the time comes from.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 24, 2014, 14:50:00 »

Does anyone know if the re-instated Pullman appeared today ?
I dont expect to dine until Friday, but if it DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) appear today, then that is a good sign for the rest of the week.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 24, 2014, 16:03:10 »

Well it did, sort of.

We had the crew, we had the food (just) but we had a dodgy oven. So only starters and desserts. Felt really sorry for the crew who were doing their best.

We did have a complimentary glass and a half of champagne though.

No doubt more from bignosemac later as I'm just off to a meeting.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 24, 2014, 16:06:45 »

So the only problem was mechanical failure, rather than weather related ? Looks good for the rest of the week in that case.

ten out of ten for effort
six out of ten for end result.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 24, 2014, 18:54:09 »

To add to what bobm has said:

We had the crew, we had the chef, we had the removable kitchen modules, we had the stock. Rail Gourmet at Exeter got the equipment aboard with seconds to spare, and the crew and chef had made it up from Plymouth in time (not without a slight problem - initially only one taxi booked for 6 staff members). All those logistical challenges met...

...only for the main oven in the TRFB (Trailer Restaurant First Buffet (Mark 3 coach type)) to go u/s.

Ameliorated by free Champagne. And not some cheap stuff. The fizz that is on Pullman wine list.

So, just a starter and a dessert today (plus the usual wine, port and brandy!) And for me, a Steak & Stilton pasty once back at Bristol Temple Meads.

Not complaining though. FGW (First Great Western) get the brownie points for reinstating the Pullmans. Staff were as jovial and attentive as ever.  Not easy to do so with them starting away from their home base. A faulty oven could just as easily have happened during a normal timetabled run.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 19:01:11 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 24, 2014, 20:32:29 »

..and just to add eight taking what food there was on offer.  Anecdotal I know, but hopefully that's a good omen for the future.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 27, 2014, 13:26:56 »

After the somewhat less than flying start on Monday it seems the revised Pullman service has got underway.

Due to timings the service is to be only main meal and desserts.  It is felt it is too tight to try to include starters as well.  This is particularly the case on the more heavily loaded return trip at 18:03.  All the crockery etc has to be washed and packed away ready for the crew to disembark with it at Exeter and then the staff taxied back to Plymouth.

The food being served is a mixture of the three existing menus.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 27, 2014, 16:28:57 »

Still glad that they are making the effort. Pity about no starters, but I suppose that I will manage without smoked salmon.
Hope to dine in Friday.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 01, 2014, 21:01:21 »

I dined on Friday and am pleased to report that the Pullman was available  and well patronised, and that rather to my surprise all 3 courses were served.

The service was a little rushed, but that is unavoidable under present circumstances.
Full marks to FGW (First Great Western) for this.

The only improvement that I can suggest under present circumstances is to consider serving the pudding or cheese board on paper plates. Not quite the proper Pullman experience I grant but justified as a short term measure.

The crew have to collect up and wash and pack away all crockery and cutlery before alighting at Exeter, this gives very limited time in which to serve and enjoy the last course.
Use of disposable products for the last course would allow customers to carry on eating until the train pulls into Exeter, rather than having to finish shortly after Taunton as is required to allow time for collecting and washing crockery.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 06, 2014, 08:31:25 »

Took lunch yesterday on the up service from Taunton.
As good as ever, but sadly only time for 2 courses.

I repeat my suggestion that under present conditions, that the last course be served on disposable plates and with plastic cutlery.
After enjoying the main course, there was still time enough to EAT a sweet or cheese selection, but NOT enough time for the crew to clear away and wash up.

Disposable tableware is not a proper part of the Pullman experience, but I for one would prefer cheese on a paper plate to no cheese !

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 06, 2014, 10:08:18 »

Having seen the tenacity with which people hold onto their coffee cups and drinks glasses as far as Ealing Broadway I am not sure disposable plates would work.

You would still need cutlery (you just know cutting cheese with a plastic knife would never work) so it wouldn't save all that much time.  Some like salt and or pepper with their cheese so that cannot be packed away, and then the actual cloth has to be cleared.

I think it is a case of being satisfied with what we have got, especially as it now looks like normal service will be resumed in a month's time.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 06, 2014, 11:43:28 »

Took lunch yesterday on the up service from Taunton.
As good as ever, but sadly only time for 2 courses.

I repeat my suggestion that under present conditions, that the last course be served on disposable plates and with plastic cutlery.
After enjoying the main course, there was still time enough to EAT a sweet or cheese selection, but NOT enough time for the crew to clear away and wash up.

Disposable tableware is not a proper part of the Pullman experience, but I for one would prefer cheese on a paper plate to no cheese !

Do you have all your meals on trains?  Cheesy
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 06, 2014, 12:45:05 »

No, but I am a fairly frequent customer, usually two return trips/4 meals a month.
More often at present as I postponned planned trips due to the weather related disruption.
Not even a buffet on the bus !

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 06, 2014, 16:14:49 »

No, but I am a fairly frequent customer, usually two return trips/4 meals a month.
More often at present as I postponned planned trips due to the weather related disruption.
Not even a buffet on the bus !

Must admit I have been tempted however it always strikes me as being highway (or railway!) robbery price - wise.......I'd generally go for a meal first before travelling and ensure that enough decent claret was consumed to ensure a peaceful sleep to Plymouth!

............in my (far-off) youth it used to be a Casey Jones burger (remember them?) and then a mad dash to the train..........I know the story was that you'd only contemplate one of those if drunk, and if you enjoyed it you knew you were absolutely hammered!!!  Cheesy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: