Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
17:28 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:05 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
16:18 London Paddington to Swansea
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 18:46:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Signage - not making it easy ...
[22] IETs at Melksham
[19] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[18] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[17] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 632969 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 26, 2014, 11:45:36 »

There's a knack to eating flat fish...once learnt, easy to eat!

Indeed. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-EzTBHI3g8

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 08, 2014, 12:12:25 »

Probably posted in error - but a rare catering update on JourneyCheck

15:06 London Paddington to Penzance due 20:42

Catering is reduced throughout No Travelling Chef service available. .
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 09, 2014, 20:31:44 »

There's a knack to eating flat fish...once learnt, easy to eat!

I am not for eats... Sad Tongue Grin

Probably posted in error - but a rare catering update on JourneyCheck

15:06 London Paddington to Penzance due 20:42

Catering is reduced throughout No Travelling Chef service available. .

Ah that's 1C86 isn't it? The Cornishman? In which case it would be helpful if FGW (First Great Western) would provide this intel more often... Roll Eyes The amount of times I specifically select this train for a TC(resolve) only to be disappointed is highly frustrating!

Of course one would like not to see this message to be certain of a Cheese Toastie with Mushroom Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 11, 2014, 16:12:31 »

Yesterday evening bobm and I, along with our partners, dined in the FGW (First Great Western) Pop-up Pullman in Hart's Bakery under the approach road to Temple Meads. The evening was organised by First Great Western and restaurateur and Pullman menu creator Mitch Tonks as part of the Bristol Food Connections festival.

And what a great evening it was. A novel experience to dine from the Pullman menu at the dizzying speed of 0mph.  Grin

The service was a lot more relaxed and leisurely, but the team, as ever, were on top form. They still produced and served quality food despite the change of surroundings. I think it fair to say there were one or two very minor issues, but that was only to be expected from the team being in an unfamiliar kitchen. Perhaps not having the kitchen moving about actually made things a little more challenging!

As well as letter of praise winging its way to FGW Towers, I'd like to thank the Pullman team here also. I won't name them, but should they read this I'd just like to say, "Well done all. We had a fantastic evening. The Pullman staff are a credit to First Great Western."

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 11, 2014, 18:37:04 »

Can only really echo what bignosemac has said.

It was nice to have the chance to talk to Mitch Tonks and meet some of the Pullman staff in a less formal atmosphere.

I did feel for the chefs - they had a bigger kitchen than they are used to - but it was then filled up with organisers and various other people.

Wasn't really a night for pictures* - but I did snap this one of the cheeseboard.  Slight departure from the usual presentation and included some very tasty unpasturised Cheddar.

The tealight features on the evening Pullman services (and is battery operated - clearly a naked flame on a 125mph train would not be a wise idea!)

The bread rolls were also provided from the range produced at the venue.

* There were plenty of professional photographers there and I suspect their efforts will appear in the public domain before long.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 11, 2014, 19:17:12 »

Re the cheeseboard pictured above, it was served as illustrated in the very early days of the new Pullman menu, but they soon reverted to plates.
And yes the battery tea lights are a nice touch and much more realistic than most fake candles, the first time that I saw one it fooled me !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 11, 2014, 19:50:17 »

Whilst I am sure what I am about to write has nothing to do with on-board Pullman service, I was intrigued to learn of research that there is a link between your perception of a serving and what it is served on.

In short, probably much to the disgust of fancy restaurants, there is much to be said about positive psychology behind serving food on simple white round plates. (See here and here.)

But did that have anything to do with cheeses being served on plates on Pullman trains? I doubt it.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:41 »

Whilst I am sure what I am about to write has nothing to do with on-board Pullman service, I was intrigued to learn of research that there is a link between your perception of a serving and what it is served on.

In short, probably much to the disgust of fancy restaurants, there is much to be said about positive psychology behind serving food on simple white round plates. (See here and here.)

But did that have anything to do with cheeses being served on plates on Pullman trains? I doubt it.

Simple white plates? At the prices FGW (First Great Western) charge for these meals I would expect them to be served by supermodels on complimentary jewel encrusted gold salvers!!!  Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 19, 2014, 21:52:08 »

Possibly a foretaste of things to come..

On both Friday and today I understand the 10:00 from Penzance (the 12:01 from Plymouth) has run with no coach H and an extra standard class coach.

On Friday only 11 places could be laid up as the whole of coach G (as it was then) was full as were six seats in F.  No Standard class passengers could be accomodated for lunch.

I am not sure of the numbers today, but I am aware of one person who could not get a seat in the restaurant on the 12:01 and got off at Newton Abbot to get the later one.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 20, 2014, 19:02:47 »

On both Friday and today I understand the 10:00 from Penzance (the 12:01 from Plymouth) has run with no coach H and an extra standard class coach.

Coach M Wink

And I could've predicted this also. I dread to see what the Cornishman looks like with just 1.5 First Class Carriages.

Apologies to anyone in advance who needs to move a laptop or paperwork to accommodate my Cheese on Toast with Mushrooms in Coach F Coach L at Westbury Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #625 on: May 21, 2014, 09:03:45 »

Hmm - wait for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) 1st class - 2 x 1 seating from what I can ascertain, and the table isn't full length across the two seats....
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 21, 2014, 19:25:47 »

Possibly a foretaste of things to come..

On Friday only 11 places could be laid up as the whole of coach G (as it was then) was full as were six seats in F.  No Standard class passengers could be accomodated for lunch.

I am not sure of the numbers today, but I am aware of one person who could not get a seat in the restaurant on the 12:01 and got off at Newton Abbot to get the later one.

To be honest, none of us needed a crystal ball to see this happening.

What next, restricted spaces lead to withdrawal of 'loss-making' Pullman..?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 24, 2014, 11:59:28 »

Whilst FGW (First Great Western) do seem to be belatedly taking catering seriously, I fear for the long term future of the Pullman service.
As reported above, as first class provision is downgraded on existing HSTs (High Speed Train), Pullman provision is becoming problematic. The reduced number of meals that can be served on the downgraded trains may well make the service uneconomic.

And of course on the new trains, NO catering beyond a trolley is to be provided for steerage. The kitchen is at the first class end thereby restricting any meal provision to first class.
First class space on the new trains is very limited, as a percentage of the total.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 27, 2014, 21:25:06 »

The reduced number of meals that can be served on the downgraded trains may well make the service uneconomic.

Either that and they drop the Pullman (which I hope they don't) and do what all the other major Long Distance TOCs (Train Operating Company) seem to be doing. Offering a free 2 or 3 course meal to First Class Passengers.

Another Travelling Chef for me today on the 11:45 London Paddington - Swansea Train. I pushed the boat right out and went for Cheese and Beans on Toast, Mushrooms and Chips.

Food was delivered quickly and trolley refreshment service in First Class was frequent, kept well fed and watered.

The food:

Just incase you're wondering. There was a white coffee in that cup which I had already nearly finished drinking before the food was brought to me Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 27, 2014, 21:34:53 »

Looking at that excellent grub you must have had a Swansea crew!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: