Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:23:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629187 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: May 27, 2014, 21:40:28 »

The food:
A friend of mine (someone who hates trains) just spotted this photo as I was looking down my Facebook news feed.  Her comment of "I'd happily ride around on trains all day to eat that" made me happy.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 01, 2014, 09:29:00 »

The food:
A friend of mine (someone who hates trains) just spotted this photo as I was looking down my Facebook news feed.  Her comment of "I'd happily ride around on trains all day to eat that" made me happy.

.....I hope your friend has deep pockets in that case!  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 01, 2014, 09:59:52 »

A freshly prepared hot meal, cooked by a proper chef, served at seat, for around ^9. On a train. I don't think one needs deep pockets for that.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: June 01, 2014, 10:04:26 »

The food:

.....I hope your friend has deep pockets in that case!  Grin
The food in thethout's photograph would cost around ^8.50.  Possibly ^3 or ^4 more than eating the same thing in a "greasy spoon", which seems reasonable considering it is served on a train.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 01, 2014, 13:33:50 »

The quality of the food from the Travelling Chef is far better than anything I've had from a greasy spoon too. It's not your typical cheap and cheerful ingredients.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 02, 2014, 12:17:23 »

The quality of the food from the Travelling Chef is far better than anything I've had from a greasy spoon too. It's not your typical cheap and cheerful ingredients.

......at ^2.25 for two slices of toast, or ^4.50 for cheese or beans on toast, I'd expect the standard to be Michelin starred - be honest, that's Highway (railway?) robbery?

The profit margin on each loaf of bread must be incredible!

(......and yes, I know I don't have to pay for it if I don't want to, but these prices are astronomical)

As for the "greasy spoon" comment, for the sake of my cholestorol I try to avoid them, however as someone who regularly uses mid range hotels, an "all in" breakfast where you can help yourself to as much as you like (English and/or Continental) is generally a tenner or so.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:23:40 by TaplowGreen » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #636 on: June 02, 2014, 12:40:10 »

Exactly.

FGW (First Great Western) are staffing it (and professional chefs don't come cheap either), rather than it being help-yourself-buffet. Just as well, as thieving gannets would pile it high....
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: June 02, 2014, 20:43:24 »

I used to think that on-train catering was on the pricey side.  However after living in London, nothing surprises me when it comes to food and drink any more.  Once you've paid ^6.00 for a pint of Foster's in a Central London pub (and never been back to said pub again), ^2.95 for a can of Carling seems like pocket money.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 03, 2014, 05:48:56 »

I used to think that on-train catering was on the pricey side.  However after living in London, nothing surprises me when it comes to food and drink any more.  Once you've paid ^6.00 for a pint of Foster's in a Central London pub (and never been back to said pub again), ^2.95 for a can of Carling seems like pocket money.

I feel your pain....as a Bitter drinker I vividly recall almost choking on my ale after my first ^5 pint however that was trumped recently when staying in a smart West End hotel (thankfully someone else was paying), nipped down to the bar for a livener, realised pretty quickly there was no chance of a decent beer, all they had on offer was small bottles of Peroni............at ^8.75 a pop!  Angry
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 06, 2014, 16:51:10 »

Was told it was ^2.95 for a bottle of water in my local ODEON Cinema last week! Shocked That made me...[insert derogatory phrase here]...ask for some tap water.

I think the food on the travelling chef for an "on train" price is entirely reasonable. It must cost FGW (First Great Western) a fair chunk to provide and I am a big fan of "Use it or lost it!" so if I can get a TC(resolve) Service then generally I will Smiley

Ok another Travelling Chef yesterday! This is by far the best Cheese and Mushrooms on toast I have ever had from the Travelling Chef!

Never had it served with a salad before and the cheese melted into the mushrooms was fantastic! Grin

No coffee was served sadly. The trolley was down in Coach M and it stayed there for the duration of my journey. In the end feeling slightly parched I went to the Buffet to get one myself Roll Eyes

Just as well, as thieving gannets would pile it high....

Oh I don't know... Sometimes when I'm in First Class on very quiet services (i.e. The only passenger in First) I'm told to help myself from the boxes on the luggage rack. I guess you could say though, that I don't take the p1ss with it and only take what I'm going to eat. Usually a single packet of Pretzels and Shortbread. Maybe the fruit or croissants instead if they're the last ones as they'll likely be thrown away anyway Roll Eyes Sad Lips sealed

Usually it's the same hosts that great me into First with "Oh god not you again!" Not sure whether this is a compliment or I travel too much Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 06, 2014, 16:56:21 »

I was invited to help myself to the port at the end of a Pullman meal recently.  I poured out what I thought equated to the usual measure from the bottle only for the staff to come back and top the glass up telling me to "do it properly"!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 06, 2014, 17:49:06 »

I was invited to help myself to the port at the end of a Pullman meal recently.  I poured out what I thought equated to the usual measure from the bottle only for the staff to come back and top the glass up telling me to "do it properly"!

You are most honoured sir, I have never been told to help myself to the port, though I have been given a little beyond the proper measure.
The port served from a full bottle is IMHO (in my humble opinion) superior to that in miniature bottles, and is also cheaper.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 22, 2014, 10:50:38 »

A potentially silly question... How does one go about working out which menu is running on the Pullman for any given week?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 22, 2014, 13:04:37 »

Tomorrow is the second week of menu 1 if that helps. Changes fortnightly.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 22, 2014, 15:41:02 »

..............you want food? Right now be happy if you can find a train that's running!!!  Shocked
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: