Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:06:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629348 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #660 on: June 29, 2014, 16:20:04 »

I don't see how they could easily schedule those High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train))s on particular services *every* day....possibly a wish, rather than a policy?'

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:47:08 by VickiS » Logged
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 29, 2014, 17:15:11 »

A solution would be two bays of First Class (FC(resolve)) seats in the standard coach immediately adjacent to the buffet/restaurant car. That way you get lots of extra standard seats, but retain sufficient First Class (FC) capacity to cater for diners.

Obviously a hand operated sliding door would be required, preferably with tinted glass so that the MPs (Member of Parliament) and civil servants in standard won't moan about First Class (FC) passengers dining in style...

Edit : VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:48:52 by VickiS » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #662 on: June 29, 2014, 17:23:38 »

for an extra 8 diners?.....
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 29, 2014, 20:36:45 »

... On each side = 16 seats Wink
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 29, 2014, 21:01:39 »

I would guess if the Pullman crews thought that the service was underthreat in any shape or form they would have sent feedback to the highest level possible because at the end if the day, worst case scenario, it's their jobs at stake.

Me, I would have just reversed the formation of the train.  With First Class (FC(resolve)) positioned country end the majority of London commuters wouldn't walk past First Class (FC) and thus probably wouldn't realise how many carriages of First Class (FC) there were and complain!

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:49:57 by VickiS » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 30, 2014, 08:51:23 »

... On each side = 16 seats Wink

First class seating is 2+1, therefore 2 bays of seating would be 12 seats. That would be worth having but I believe that the idea is a non starter for other reasons.
Firstly keeping steerage customers out of first class is already a struggle, if they had to pass through this area to access the buffet, it would in effect become the new standing area for the Reading commuters.
I doubt that meal service would be safe if the staff had to carry everything past the buffet queue, including those pretending to queue but actualy intending to be first out at Reading.
The expense and disruption of making the change seems a bit pointless as it would produce a somewhat similar result to simply keeping 2 coaches of first class.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 30, 2014, 09:42:09 »

I don't see how they could easily schedule those HSTs (High Speed Train) on particular services *every* day....possibly a wish, rather than a policy?

I think the idea was based on the fact you need to ensure the right kitchen is diagrammed for the six services so at the same time you ensure the coaches are correct.  How far up the managerial chain the idea has got I don't know. 

It would also offer some flexibility on trains where it is known there will be a high proportion of first class customers.  I was on the 15:50 from Penzance yesterday and it had two first class coaches.  The majority of first class seats were reserved and I counted only four empty seats - and that was before the first of the Glastonbury homegoers got on at Westbury.....
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 30, 2014, 11:59:50 »

Perhaps the root cause of this debate is the fact that standing is allowed on trains, the only form of long distance travel to allow so.

Eliminate overcapacity and give everyone a seat reservation. Simple, safe and would allow the train company to upgrade standard class passengers to fill FC(resolve) spare capacity when available.

Nobody enjoys standing, and just because it's how things have always been done is no reason to continue doing so.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 30, 2014, 17:01:51 »

Perhaps the root cause of this debate is the fact that standing is allowed on trains, the only form of long distance travel to allow so.

Eliminate overcapacity and give everyone a seat reservation. Simple, safe and would allow the train company to upgrade standard class passengers to fill FC(resolve) spare capacity when available.

Nobody enjoys standing, and just because it's how things have always been done is no reason to continue doing so.

I seem to recall Virgin proposed reservation only trains some time ago only to be met with outcry...
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 30, 2014, 17:28:41 »

No-one is going to abolish the walk-up railway, even if it means standing on long distance trains.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 30, 2014, 17:41:14 »

Don't long distance trains in Europe make it compulsory to have seat reservations? I'm thinking ICE or was that because I was on FIP Coupons?

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 30, 2014, 18:04:05 »

Don't long distance trains in Europe make it compulsory to have seat reservations? I'm thinking ICE or was that because I was on FIP Coupons?

Whenever I travelled in Spain on long distance Alvia or Altaris services. Reservations were compulsory. Once the train was full. No more bookings were taken.

So buying a ticket on the day although can be cheaper results in the risk of not being able to board the train you want or any train that day infact Roll Eyes

I paid 50Euros for a Preferente Single from Madrid - Murcia. I was VERY lucky because nearly all First Class seats where taken before leaving Madrid Charmartin and when called at Atocha there were 2 seats left that became occupied at Almanza from memory.

But remember that our fellow EU» (European Union - about) members have a completely different lifestyle. Long distance travel daily isn't something I think happens from my very casual observations.

But to answer you question. InterCity travel in Spain requires compulsory reservations and you MUST sit in the seat issued. (I got booked a Window seat once. I sat in the Cafeteria (free for all seating) for most of the journey instead because sitting in the Aisle seat was not allowed Sad ).

However the local trains such as Alicante - Murcia - Lorca or Madrid Local Services don't require seat reservations. Allow 'standing' travel and do not feature First Class Seating. You do get a toilet but that is pretty much the only 'comfort'.

Just to complicate things, bear in mind that the Alicante - Lorca route does have trains which are InterCity services. Require compulsory reservations. Have a Buffet Car/Cafeteria and First Class seating. Only 3 a day from memory but those three trains have a different ticket system and require a reservation even if going just to the next stop. Which may be 3 minutes or 3 hours up the line!!

Oh and your local trains ticket isn't valid... You require a booked in advance or bought before travel ticket Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #672 on: June 30, 2014, 18:11:39 »

No-one is going to abolish the walk-up railway, even if it means standing on long distance trains.

The furthest I can recall them going along this road rail in the past was expresses out of King's Cross which were in some cases all seats reservable / passengers carried limited to capacity of trains. Take a look at note C.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 30, 2014, 21:12:41 »

Whenever I travelled in Spain on long distance Alvia or Altaris services. Reservations were compulsory. Once the train was full. No more bookings were taken.

So buying a ticket on the day although can be cheaper results in the risk of not being able to board the train you want or any train that day infact Roll Eyes

I paid 50Euros for a Preferente Single from Madrid - Murcia. I was VERY lucky because nearly all First Class seats where taken before leaving Madrid Charmartin and when called at Atocha there were 2 seats left that became occupied at Almanza from memory.

But remember that our fellow EU» (European Union - about) members have a completely different lifestyle. Long distance travel daily isn't something I think happens from my very casual observations.

But to answer you question. InterCity travel in Spain requires compulsory reservations and you MUST sit in the seat issued. (I got booked a Window seat once. I sat in the Cafeteria (free for all seating) for most of the journey instead because sitting in the Aisle seat was not allowed Sad ).

However the local trains such as Alicante - Murcia - Lorca or Madrid Local Services don't require seat reservations. Allow 'standing' travel and do not feature First Class Seating. You do get a toilet but that is pretty much the only 'comfort'.

Just to complicate things, bear in mind that the Alicante - Lorca route does have trains which are InterCity services. Require compulsory reservations. Have a Buffet Car/Cafeteria and First Class seating. Only 3 a day from memory but those three trains have a different ticket system and require a reservation even if going just to the next stop. Which may be 3 minutes or 3 hours up the line!!

Oh and your local trains ticket isn't valid... You require a booked in advance or bought before travel ticket Roll Eyes

The AVE network has airport style security checks too. Plus you wait for your platform in the waiting area before passing the 'gate' where your pre-booked ticket is scanned. I don't know how strict the seat reservations are as they didn't seem to do ticket checks on board when I travelled Atocha - Valencia.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 30, 2014, 23:06:34 »

I have, sadly, been on German ICE trains (with a reservation) packed to the gunnels (or at least the train equivalent) with students going home for the weekend with their baggage.  No access to the buffet or toilet was practical for much of the journey.  The TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse)/Thalys services mostly seem to have compulsory reservation and although they have quite insufficient baggage storage at least it's not people lying in the aisles and vestibules preventing the compartment doors closing and preventing the aircon working efficiently.  As has been noted before: railway paradise does not starts at Calais.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: