Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:16:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633182 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: September 05, 2014, 23:16:50 »

IME (in my experience) the main reason for purchasing an open return is uncertainty as to the time at which one will return. If the time of
return is known, then in most cases one might as well book a discounted ticket
, which unlike a full price one guarantees a seat.

My Emphasis in Bold. This is very true. It also helps to have a discounted ticket with mandatory reservation in the case of significant delays as you can more or less prove the train you were on or should have been on. With a flexible ticket you can be told by SOME staff members that you have only encountered a 30 minute delay because your previous train was cancelled and the subsequent train only 30 minutes late. However they seem to do a good job of dismissing the idea that there is nearly 90 minutes between the 2 trains so I'm actually 2 hours late.

It's very easy to understand how some passengers get so tetchy when they're told they aren't entitled to replacement transport when Advance Ticket Holders on the same trains are given taxis left right and centre. In such cases a passenger should not have to prove what train they should have used via a GPS Location History device when they have purchased a flexible ticket in First or Standard Class.

The line "I understand your frustration" is very close to the border of pure bull**** because if you understood the frustration then you'd do something about it. You should not fob the customer off and tell them they are just 30 minutes late, it's just tough and it's not my problem.

Disclaimer: I am only describing a very small minority of staff here. We all know alot of staff do their best for passengers customers. The small minority described however can leave very sour tastes behind and give the positively focused staff a bad name/reputation.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 05, 2014, 23:41:50 »

If the outward journey is Off Peak and the time of the return journey is unknown I will always buy the Off Peak ticket. Should the return need to be made at a Peak time then I can excess my ticket. If not then I haven't wasted money on an unnecessary ticket.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 23, 2014, 20:18:51 »

Not yet officially confirmed by FGW (First Great Western), but the additional Pullman services are now showing on RealTime Trains as from Monday 29th September 2014.

The services are:

0553 Plymouth to London Paddington http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C40091/2014/09/29/advanced
0558 Swansea to London Paddington http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C40591/2014/09/29/advanced
0945 London Paddington to Swansea http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C40149/2014/09/29/advanced
1006 London Paddington to Penzance http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C40302/2014/09/29/advanced

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 23, 2014, 20:47:06 »

They'll sell a few fryups on that early train from Plymouth!  Grin
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 24, 2014, 06:46:59 »

A shame it's not an evening Swansea service that gets a Pullman, but it's nice to get something back for South Wales as the Pullman service slowly gets expanded again.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 24, 2014, 08:02:08 »

I am told the two new Up services will serve a similar menu to the current (06:55 ex Plymouth service) although the Great Westerner Breakfast on the Swansea service will be a Welsh Great Westerner - no details of how it will vary.

Both services going back will serve a brunch type menu with the breakfast items still available but, maintaining the fish theme, Omelette Arnold Bennett and Kedgeree in addition.

No details yet on between which stations the meals will be served on the Welsh services.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 24, 2014, 10:01:26 »

Now officially confirmed by FGW (First Great Western) - will start next Monday 29th.  No doubt details will appear on their website by then.  Wink
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 24, 2014, 10:19:15 »

Sorry to be the cynic, but won't it be the case that Once South Wales regulars have got accustomed to their Welsh Pullman breakfast, it will be withdrawn in favour of a microwaved breakfast roll on the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 24, 2014, 11:08:16 »

Or perhaps a complimentary 1st Class offering from the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) kitchens in a similar vein to that provided on the east and west coast intercity services.

We've no idea yet how the kitchens will be equipped and utilised, so it's a bit early to say that something 'will be the case'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 24, 2014, 13:02:03 »

Does this imply simultaneous withdrawal of the Travelling Chef services then?

Paul
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 24, 2014, 19:31:28 »

Does this imply simultaneous withdrawal of the Travelling Chef services then?

Paul

It certainly implies the end of the travelling chefs on those services regaining a Pullman since it is not possible to provide both on the same train.
As to the other chefs, I don't know.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 25, 2014, 09:21:26 »

I've had this reply on FGW (First Great Western) Facebook to queries about the new Pullman services:

The times and locations you have are correct other than the 0945 service will now be the 1045 to Swansea. Menus will be put on to the website in the coming week or so and a full press release will be issued around the same time with further details.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #792 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:17 »

Just goes to show you can't rely on RealTime Trains all the time....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 25, 2014, 10:26:56 »

...or National Rail Enquiries, or FGW (First Great Western)'s booking engine, or other booking engines...

All of whom take the information from ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)'s Rail Industry data. Data provided to ATOC by... (drum roll please)...

First Great Western.  Cheesy

I rather think it's a case of FGW making late changes, with the weekly data feed not yet updated, rather than RealTime Trains being deliberately wrong. Back as far as the Barry Doe article in RAIL magazine, FGW were saying that the return Pullman working to Wales would be the 0945 to Swansea.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #794 on: September 25, 2014, 10:35:04 »

No, I wasn't saying it was 'deliberatly' wrong - just that we seem too eager for instant info....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: