16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:35:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[309] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[95] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[41] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[38] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633102 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: September 25, 2014, 12:44:11 »

Does this imply simultaneous withdrawal of the Travelling Chef services then?

Paul

It certainly implies the end of the travelling chefs on those services regaining a Pullman since it is not possible to provide both on the same train.
As to the other chefs, I don't know.

I was thinking back to earlier suggestions that the 'travelling chefs' were to be withdrawn generally, before introducing further Pullman services.  Does a Pullman service have more than one chef, i.e. do they need to withdraw a larger number of travelling chef trains than one for each new Pullman?

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 25, 2014, 14:22:10 »

Pullmans have one Chef, a Service Leader (effectively a Ma^tre d'), and a varying number of waiting staff, whose official titles escapes me. Paging bobm!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 25, 2014, 14:27:32 »

I think they are called Customer Hosts - simply because they also do the trolley or the buffet on occasions.

The chefs, indeed most of the staff, on the Pullmans work longer shifts than most other catering staff in that they usually have more time in Paddington after working up from Plymouth.  It is a bit of an insurance policy to ensure they are in place for the busier evening return service in the case of delays.  The net effect is they work fewer days a week so you need more of them to cover the shifts.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 25, 2014, 18:35:16 »

Just to add - even allowing for extra chefs to work the new Pullman services there will still be travelling chefs who will be displaced.  I understand they will have the option to become Customer Hosts on their current terms and conditions.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 29, 2014, 12:12:31 »

Menus for the new services are now listed on the FGW (First Great Western) website.

The 0553 Plymouth to Paddington Wiltshire Breakfast Menu (available to Taunton)

The 0558 Swansea to Paddington Welsh Breakfast Menu

The 1006 Paddington to Plymouth Wiltshire Brunch Menu (available from Paddington and Reading)

The 1045 Paddington to Swansea Welsh Brunch Menu

Note. Embedded links will download .pdf files. Can also be downloaded via: https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Your-journey/On-board/Pullman

Essentially the same menus on each run with certain items from either Wales or England.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:17:33 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 29, 2014, 12:40:24 »

Sounds good, unfortunately I have now moved to Somerset rather than regularly travelling between London and Somerset, and therefore seldom use the Pullman service.
Not like the good old days when I was a fairly frequent customer.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 29, 2014, 12:56:57 »

I think I may well pop up to London on Wednesday just to try the brunch on the 1045 back west. Got me some RTVs that are burning a hole in my pocket.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #802 on: September 29, 2014, 14:32:05 »

Interesting that both "Wiltshire" and "Welsh" Brunches have Welsh bacon in the Eggs Benedict.

(Probably my own definition of interesting...)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 29, 2014, 16:04:41 »

Interesting that both "Wiltshire" and "Welsh" Brunches have Welsh bacon in the Eggs Benedict.

(Probably my own definition of interesting...)

Wiltshire pigs have been RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) members for years, they are exempt from being eaten on FGW (First Great Western) services following negotiations.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 01, 2014, 21:41:19 »

The forum's Galloping Gourmets/Epicurean Adventurers/Glorious Gluttons (call us what you will...) were out earlier today sampling the new (or rather, re-introduced) Pullman dining offering on First Great Western's 1045 ex Paddington service to South Wales.

I made my way to Paddington early doors in time to return west on the 1045 to Swansea. Plans were hatched with fellow forum staffer bobm for he to join me at Swindon from where we could enjoy Brunch together, speeding through the Severn Tunnel and on into a different country. We weren't sure that service would be available from Swindon, but that fear was quickly dispelled after I inveigled myself with the Pullman service team prior to boarding at Paddington. My chattiness and promise of a decent food bill got me bumped up to 1st Class through to Swindon where bobm joined me.

The staff were made up of Travelling Chefs and Customer Hosts, but nearly all of them had previously worked FGW (First Great Western) South Wales Pullmans up until 2009. A couple of faces were definitely familiar to me, from the recesses of my memory, taking breakfast on a couple of occasions on the 0801 from Bristol Parkway more than half a decade ago.

The menus have already been posted earlier in the thread so there's no need to go into too much detail, save to say that, for ^18, you certainly get your money's worth. Even if you think the food might be a tad expensive (remember, it's Silver Service, from a pokey kitchen, and cooked/served at up to 125mph), the personal service from the staff, who, without fail, care deeply about what they are offering, make the experience very good value. More coffee? No problem. Some more toast? Certainly, sir.

Some pictures from bignosemac's and bobm's brunch:

Marmalade, Jam (strawberry, blackcurrant), Honey. Even Marmite (not pictured) available for your toast. Toast that can be brown, white, fruit loaf or Welsh Cake

Natural Yoghurt with Granola and Honey

Full Welsh Breakfast: Bacon, sausage, Welsh black pudding, Glamorgan 'sausage', fried egg on fried bread, mushrooms, beans. I forewent the grilled tomato. Me not like

Kedgeree with Smoked Haddock and Poached Egg

The 'works' was bignosemac's order and the Kedgeree was bobm's.

Oh, and I had Bloody Mary to accompany my brunch. Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 21:48:51 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 01, 2014, 21:59:39 »

Just to add - for this week only there is a ^5 discount on the South Wales brunch, taking the cost down to ^13.  I am not sure if it applies to the West of England service on the 10:06 to Penzance.

I had been looking forward to the kedgeree ever since I discovered it was going to be on the menu, and I wasn't disappointed.  It was polished off in double quick time.

You could tell many of the crew were former Pullman staff - they are quickly back into the swing of it.  Even placing the hot plate on the table gripped between a spoon and fork so as not to touch it - not seen that for many a long year.

Also good to see some good loadings.  There were six of us today - not bad for a service which only started on Monday and hasn't really been promoted yet.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 01, 2014, 22:09:52 »

It's very tempting just for the hell of it to board it at Swindon one day and head into South Wales just to try it out.  It's around 10 years since I did lunch on the up SW Pullman and very good that was. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #807 on: October 01, 2014, 22:13:12 »

The forum's Galloping Gourmets/Epicurean Adventurers/Glorious Gluttons (call us what you will...)

I still prefer their sobriquet, the Trundling Trenchermen ...  Wink Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 01, 2014, 22:17:22 »

It's very tempting just for the hell of it to board it at Swindon one day and head into South Wales just to try it out.  It's around 10 years since I did lunch on the up SW Pullman and very good that was. 

We were discussing how far into Wales you'd need to go.  I reckon you could just about fit in the meal before Cardiff from Swindon, but carrying onto Bridgend is probably better for the digestion.

I still prefer their sobriquet, the Trundling Trenchermen ...  Wink Cheesy

...oh and we were just about to invite you next time we go....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #809 on: October 01, 2014, 22:41:37 »

I would have some reservation over travelling with so much facial hair evident at the breakfast table ...

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: