I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:29:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629250 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: November 24, 2014, 18:36:28 »

That dollop of spiced creme-fraiche is standard issue with the soup.  I will confess there was more fennel in that photo than I have seen in the past when I have sampled it.  (I won't post a comparison picture - we don't all want to analyse soup all evening do we?)

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 24, 2014, 18:46:06 »

I do feel that the Pullman menu is somewhat overpriced however those two dishes do look extremely good!  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 08, 2014, 16:22:24 »

From First Great Western:

Lights, Camera, Burrata

First Great Western celebrates success of its campaign to serve locally-made food by commissioning three films starring its food producers

L to R Stock Manager, David Sellar of Bowldon Farm and Pullman Chef Paul Tregilis

When you next board a train you may not expect to dine on Somerset smoked haddock; burrata mozzarella cheese made from Hampshire buffaloes; or prime beef fillet from Glastonbury - but you can. And all three are now front and centre in films that celebrate the renaissance in train dining that has been pioneered by First Great Western.

See the Pullman Dining Farm to Fork videos:

Burrata
Salmon
Steak

The films feature Laverstoke Park Farm^s Hampshire buffalo; Brown & Forest^s Somerset smokehouse and John Sheppard Family butchers. They follow First Great Western chef Paul Tregilis on a journey from farm to fork as he learns the backstory of the food he now serves on board. And there is growing evidence that the policy is boosting West Country artisanal food businesses: English tea grown at Tregothnan in Cornwall has just been added to the menu - prompting the grower to plant additional acreage to keep pace with demand and recruit six new employees.

What the suppliers say

Tregothnan Tea^s Jonathan Jones:

^This contract is great news and gave us confidence to hire new employees for the next level of our growth.^

Smoked salmon suppliers Brown & Forrest^s Tim Towill:

^First Great Western^s policy gives people the chance to try our smoked fish as they travel past. We are a small business - so this matters a lot.^

Cuckoo Food^s Lucy Wright:
^Anna Mackenzie and I met at school aged 13 and now we run Cuckoo Foods. It^s a family-run business. Recently Anna's sister Alexa helped us out part-time after we won the First Great Western account.^

Butcher Richard Sheppard:

^We are at the heart of the First Great Western rail network and the farming community around Bristol. We are proud to bring the two together.^

Restaurateur and Chef Mitch Tonks, who advises First Great Western and appears in the three films:

^The West Country is full of the finest ingredients you'll find anywhere, and these films showcase the producers being championed by First Great Western, I think you'll see why we love what they produce so much!^

Those video links again:

Burrata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giw5A-KWCxQ&
Salmon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdImLN7o0Ig&feature=youtu.be
Steak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP06e0HM9l8&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 16:28:26 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
higthomas

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: December 08, 2014, 18:06:59 »

I see that Travelling Chef has disappeared from their Website.
Anyone know if what they said about an improved Express Cafe offering had any truth in it or not?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 08, 2014, 18:24:23 »

I see that Travelling Chef has disappeared from their Website.
Anyone know if what they said about an improved Express Cafe offering had any truth in it or not?

Travelling Chef disappeared as hardly anyone used it, not sure about improved Cafe but I think there are more Pullmans
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 12, 2014, 22:50:01 »

Cheese and Onion Pasties are in the Express Cafe now Grin

^4.50 so slightly steep. But never the less a very good pasty all the same! (^3.50 on last trains of the day)

Grin Grin Grin Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: December 13, 2014, 09:27:29 »

......pasty = pastry,beef, swede, potato, onion, salt, pepper.

.......but what you had does look like a nice, if overpriced savoury pie thing!

(sorry but I am from the Taliban school of pasty fundamentalism!!!)  Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 13, 2014, 12:42:46 »

I happen to be a vegetarian...

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 13, 2014, 15:22:05 »

I happen to be a vegetarian...

So am I   But only betwine meals.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #849 on: December 13, 2014, 15:59:58 »

I thonk the point being made is what ifficially can go in something called a pasty....not whether you are vegetarian
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: December 13, 2014, 16:09:38 »

Anything can go into a pasty. thetrout's evening comestible is perfectly allowed to have the name Cheese & Onion Pasty.

It is only the 'Cornish Pasty' that has a PGI designation meaning it has to contain specific ingredients and be prepared (although not necessarily baked) in Cornwall.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 16:14:56 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 13, 2014, 16:20:10 »

Anything can go into a pasty. thetrout's evening comestible is perfectly allowed to have the name Cheese & Onion Pasty.

It is only the 'Cornish Pasty' that has a PGI designation meaning it has to contain specific ingredients and be prepared (although not necessarily baked) in Cornwall.

Exactly - it's a "cheese and onion pasty", as opposed to a pasty!

Bit like "chocolate flavoured" as opposed to chocolate!  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 13, 2014, 16:41:37 »

Really don't understand the point you are making. Any filled pastry, baked without a dish, with a top or side crimp, and containing any ingredients, can be called a pasty. The dish had origins in France and medieval England, most often containing venison, long before it became a staple in Cornwall in the 17th and 18th centuries.

For Cornwall, the pasty appears to be an adopted dish, not one that originated there.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 13, 2014, 16:50:27 »

Really don't understand the point you are making. Any filled pastry, baked without a dish, with a top or side crimp, and containing any ingredients, can be called a pasty. The dish had origins in France and medieval England, most often containing venison, long before it became a staple in Cornwall in the 17th and 18th centuries.

For Cornwall, the pasty appears to be an adopted dish, not one that originated there.

Don't take it too seriously BNM, it's only a bit of fun......and you are starting to sound like an article in Mid Morning Matters with Alan Partridge!  Wink
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 13, 2014, 19:35:32 »

I thonk the point being made is what ifficially can go in something called a pasty....not whether you are vegetarian

I used to love the policeman in Allo Allo.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: