16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 07:02:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 632887 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: January 10, 2015, 12:23:15 »

Rather too long to quote in full - but interesting article on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) about on board dining

Britain's traditional railway restaurant car is threatening to make a surprising comeback, writes Adrian Quine.

The years after privatisation were not kind to the UK (United Kingdom)'s restaurant cars. A 150-year tradition of fine dining on the move appeared to be about to be confined to the history books.

But now the romance of dining on freshly cooked cordon bleu cuisine and fine wine while travelling at 125mph appears to be creeping back.

Train operator First Great Western is the only company in the UK to offer traditional dining cars on regular services. When the railways were privatised in 1995 there were nearly 250 trains a day across the UK offering everything from artichoke and parsley soup to fillet steak, accompanied by on-board cellars stocking fine wines.

By 2012 that figure had shrunk to just four trains a day as rail companies chased profits and reduced costs. The large dining tables were scrapped in favour of tightly packed airline-style seating. A trolley selling sandwiches stood where once the onboard chef in pristine whites could be found creating mouth-watering dishes like flamb^ed Bourbon shrimp or zesty brochette of Dijon lamb.

(snip - more in link above)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 10, 2015, 13:17:12 »

Yes a most interesting article and well worth reading in full on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) website.
I was thinking about posting a link but was beaten to it.

Also one of the few reports that accurately states that the FGW (First Great Western) restaurants are open to both classes, but that first class may book, with standard being able to dine if space permits.
I like the "on board cellar" ! presumably it is situated under the kitchen floor ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 10, 2015, 15:57:13 »

I see the article is illustrated with a still from Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest, featuring Bristol's very own Archibald Leach.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: January 10, 2015, 19:42:13 »

Rather too long to quote in full - but interesting article on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) about on board dining
Another extract from the same article:
Russell Hollowood, curator at the National Railway Museum, believes that social attitudes have changed dramatically and that the restaurant car is a bastion of social divide and elitism that belongs firmly in the 1920s
I'm not against the Pullmans, but I do feel it is a shame that the railway offers little or nothing in between that and a sandwich trolley. As the BBC article also states, the Pullman meal is pricey.

My southbound 'WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) Express' trip with a cooked breakfast was great, that sort of thing makes early starts for long rail journeys alot easier, but I'm an insanely fussy eater and the fancy offerings on the Pullmans and the evening 'Gerald' are generally not to my taste.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 10, 2015, 19:46:15 »

My southbound 'WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) Express' trip with a cooked breakfast was great, that sort of thing makes early starts for long rail journeys alot easier, but I'm an insanely fussy eater and the fancy offerings on the Pullmans and the evening 'Gerald' are generally not to my taste.

I have only tried the northbound WAG express and I was disappointed, mainly because it came ready plated and you had to eat, or pick off, what you didn't like.  I too am a fussy eater - don't like garlic, tomatoes, pasta, courgettes etc etc but the beauty of the Pullmans is it is all freshly cooked - so if you don't like something they can, within reason, leave it out for you.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #875 on: January 11, 2015, 22:20:28 »

... they should leave the ginger ale out of the single malt, then ... mutter, mutter  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 11, 2015, 22:25:56 »

Ok. Ok.  Next time I go on the sleeper it will be a neat single malt just so
I can rejoin your social circle.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 11, 2015, 22:54:58 »

Don't succumb to such social mores bobm. You drink it how you want. I might just do the same and be a supposed palastine as well.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #878 on: January 11, 2015, 23:00:54 »

I rather think you meant philistine.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 13, 2015, 08:50:39 »

I understand new menus will be introduced on the FGW (First Great Western) Pullmans from the end of this month.  No details yet of what the changes will be.

However for the next fortnight there will be a mixture of items from the existing three menus as stocks are used up.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 22, 2015, 17:10:21 »

From today's Hansard

Stephen Doughty: (Cardiff & Penarth (Lab/Co-op))
Is the Minister aware of the concerns expressed by the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) and other organisations and passenger groups about the future provision of buffet cars and guards on First Great Western services? Was she aware of those concerns before the Department awarded a direct award franchise to an extension to the First Great Western franchise?

Claire Perry: (Under Secretary of State for Transport)
I am sure the hon. Gentleman, like me, is delighted that this line is receiving so much investment, in the form of billions of pounds for electrification and the new intercity express programme rolling stock to which he alludes, which will transform the passenger experience. I gently encourage him not to read the scaremongering press releases put out by the RMT. I have visited the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) mock-ups. I have discussed in great detail what the franchising and catering capabilities will be. It is up to the operators to specify, and I am sure he will have seen the East Coast statements that it intends to offer an enhanced catering service on those trains when they are running. I am happy to discuss this further with the hon. Gentleman, but I suggest he looks at the facts, not the scaremongering.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #881 on: January 22, 2015, 18:01:00 »

Is Doughty sponsored by the unions, per chance?
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 23, 2015, 00:13:19 »

She's done an excellent job of skirting around answering that question.

All opinions are my own.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 23, 2015, 07:52:20 »

I can't understand why the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would seek the operator to specify when, in the case of Great Western, First may not even hold the franchise when they enter service!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 23, 2015, 10:00:00 »

She's done an excellent job of skirting around answering that question.

I think in terms of catering (particularly Travelling Chef) the honest answer would be - "there is very little demand from customers for the service, it is losing money, and therefore FGW (First Great Western) are cutting back/removing it".....it's a simple commercial decision.....unfortunately that has implications for the staff concerned but that I am afraid, is life..........I have yet to hear howls of outrage from customers who are being deprived of the facility to spend large amounts of money on pretty ordinary food.

It's obviously incumbent on any Trade Union to represent its members interest but there needs to be a dose of reality before rattling the sabres too loudly.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: