Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:55:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629220 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: March 30, 2015, 21:25:02 »

Growing up in Lancashire, I had more than my fair share of "Steak and cow heel pie" - wholesome, but not gourmand in comparison to ox cheek. The tastiest bits of an animal tend to be those that work hardest, cooked slowly. Never mind legs and shoulders - did you ever see an ox that wasn't chewing?

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 07, 2015, 13:42:35 »

Just a note for anyone intending to use the Pullmans after Easter - they are suspended from the 7th to 10th April inclusive.  Haven't seen it publicised anywhere but I am told the staff have been deployed to other duties that week.

Just to update this - seems there has been a change of plan and the Pullmans are running for the remainder of this week.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 07, 2015, 14:02:32 »

Are you on one currently perchance, bobm?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 07, 2015, 14:12:21 »

No. But I will be this time tomorrow!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 14, 2015, 02:16:53 »

The strolling syberites (I'm running out of descriptives, CfN!), that's myself and bobm, dined last evening (13/04/2015) on the 1803 Pullman service from Plymouth to Paddington.

This is one of the recently re-introduced Pullman services, crewed by newly trained London based staff. They work a down lunchtime service at 1303 from Paddington to Plymouth, with the return dinner service on the 1803.

Healthily loaded with 14 diners.

Top notch food as always, and the service was almost as good as that from the far more experienced Plymouth crews. This crew were certainly efficient in laying up. They had the restaurant ready for diners before Ivybridge! One or two minor niggles, but that can be overlooked due to inexperience.

Just one new dish tried today, both bobm and I went for the...

Cured Mount^s Bay Sardines with grapes, tarragon and West Country cider vinegar

...followed by the fillet steak for main course. Dessert for me was the Chocolate Nemisis. bobm, being a creature of habit had the cheese and biscuits.

As always, I post here to champion First Great Western's Pullman services. The last remaining full service restaurants, available to all (space permitting for Std Class ticket holders), on the UK (United Kingdom) rail network. Do try one if you get the chance.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:37 »

Agree, it is a most impressive service.
I used to patronise the Pullman regularly when travelling between London and the West, but I have now moved to the West country and therefore have only infrequent excuse to dine on a train.

Far from cheap, but IMHO (in my humble opinion) worth it for the quality.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 14, 2015, 11:56:02 »

Fillet steak and chocolate? The Pullman may be have been healthily loaded but the diners weren't!  Grin

(......and I hope that Rioja was being allowed to breathe in expectation of being consumed with said steak? Can't see it going to well with an oily fish like sardines.............do they serve a Pinot Grigio or Muscadet? That would be perfect!)  Smiley
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 14, 2015, 13:27:28 »

Fillet steak and chocolate? The Pullman may be have been healthily loaded but the diners weren't!  Grin

That is why I am such a well rounded fellow.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #983 on: April 14, 2015, 22:34:54 »

The strolling syberites (I'm running out of descriptives, CfN!), that's myself and bobm ...

... I am such a well rounded fellow.

Knowing both colleagues quite well, I shall continue to refer to them collectively as the trundling trenchermen ...  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 14, 2015, 22:36:13 »

Stop sitting on the fence and join us!  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #985 on: April 14, 2015, 22:59:52 »

I'd be absolutely delighted to do so - if either of you could please let me know in advance what you are planning (simply so I can see whether I can fit it in with my shift pattern) ... Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #986 on: April 14, 2015, 23:05:27 »

... and, ideally, we could arrange a suitable date to include broadgage, and take over a table for four for the entire journey.  Wink Cheesy Grin

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 15, 2015, 11:07:40 »

... and, ideally, we could arrange a suitable date to include broadgage, and take over a table for four for the entire journey.  Wink Cheesy Grin

I fear that this may prove problematic to arrange in view of my much reduced use of the trains now that I live in the West. Thanks for the suggestion though.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 27, 2015, 00:21:38 »

A couple of videos from FGW (First Great Western) highlighting the local suppliers used for products sold on their trains.

Tregothnan Tea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ2c7s16aJ8
Brixham Seafish Company: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhgMxxxZ44M

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:53 »

I have it on good authority that provision of Pullman dining services has been written into the franchise agreement starting September 2015. If so I think that's a first for catering provision to be explicitly specified.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: