I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:50:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629266 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 05, 2015, 09:57:57 »

I have it on good authority that provision of Pullman dining services has been written into the franchise agreement starting September 2015. If so I think that's a first for catering provision to be explicitly specified.

How about catering provision for the masses rather than just the very small % who can afford the Pullman? Is that written in? Any idea what is to be provided as a minimum?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #991 on: May 05, 2015, 09:58:46 »

Hopefully, that includes the recently introduced services too
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 05, 2015, 10:33:55 »

I should think it does as the info I heard today came from a crew member. They were told that jobs were safe as FGW (First Great Western), in agreement with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), had the Pullman restaurant services as of 2015 written into the franchise.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 05, 2015, 10:46:15 »

How about catering provision for the masses rather than just the very small % who can afford the Pullman? Is that written in? Any idea what is to be provided as a minimum?

Sorry, couldn't tell you. I was only chatting about Pullmans. We'll just have to wait until the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) get round to publishing (or responding to FOI (Freedom of Information) requests for) the recently signed franchise agreement.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 05, 2015, 11:05:14 »

I have it on good authority that provision of Pullman dining services has been written into the franchise agreement starting September 2015. If so I think that's a first for catering provision to be explicitly specified.

A trolley only on IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.), surveys show that this what customers want !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 05, 2015, 11:07:55 »

Splendid news

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 05, 2015, 11:50:43 »

A trolley only on IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.), surveys show that this what customers want !

Ah well..........at least my longer distance trips start from Reading or Paddington where I can get a decent pasty or something from M & S! 

One of these days I am determined to try the Pullman however, perhaps after I win the lottery!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 05, 2015, 12:05:48 »

Ah well..........at least my longer distance trips start from Reading or Paddington where I can get a decent pasty or something from M & S!

And there is the reason that on board catering is a declining facility these days.  All the large stations, and the majority of smaller ones, that the long distance trains call at now have vastly superior catering options at the station than they used to up until the end of the last century.  That, and the fact that the old 'three square meals a day' at set times is also largely a thing of the past in modern society.

It's a pity, but it's an undeniable reality.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #998 on: May 05, 2015, 12:08:19 »

And why NR» (Network Rail - home page) are pulling back their large stations under their control - to retain the vastly increasing leases being paid by these outlets.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 05, 2015, 12:23:20 »

And there is the reason that on board catering is a declining facility these days.  All the large stations, and the majority of smaller ones, that the long distance trains call at now have vastly superior catering options at the station than they used to up until the end of the last century.  That, and the fact that the old 'three square meals a day' at set times is also largely a thing of the past in modern society.

London Midland pulled the Trolley Services from their trains for this very reason. They even said themselves that "Many of our trains stop for extended time periods where catering facilities are widely available"

But I think pulling Buffet Services from Long Distance InterCity services would be a very very bad idea...!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 05, 2015, 14:15:56 »

Thats a very good point......if you take into account the longest trip on FGW (First Great Western) (PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ, correct me if I'm wrong?), unless you get on at one of the real one horse stations you would almost certainly be able to obtain cheaper and wider ranging food than you would find on offer on a train buffet before you board, either at the station or nearby.......I guess this helps to make the argument for a trolley rather than a full buffet, and the lack of demand for/demise of Travelling Chef is further evidence of this...........although the Pullman is popular within its niche market and seems to be thriving.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1001 on: May 05, 2015, 22:13:24 »

... unless you get on at one of the real one horse stations ...

Ahem!  Are you even possibly suggesting that Nailsea & Backwell is one of those?  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 06, 2015, 19:01:24 »

... unless you get on at one of the real one horse stations ...

Ahem!  Are you even possibly suggesting that Nailsea & Backwell is one of those?  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

...as my local station is Taplow I would be on dodgy ground if I did! (......but I have often wondered why there was a horse trough outside Nailsea and Backwell and the station staff do look a bit odd in those ten gallon hats!)  Cheesy
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 06, 2015, 19:23:20 »

Not to mention the green stripy aprons worn by employees of a upmarket refreshment room in Nailsea from where provisions may be obtained and delivered to your ranch for a small fee. One such employee has been known to park his steed while making deliveries,and has been heard to say Wait, Rose !
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 09, 2015, 09:25:51 »

Read a report earlier that the food for the evening PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - PNZ Pullman last night was loaded but the buffet was not..........I wonder whether a few scraps were thrown through from the privileged few for the starving masses to fight over?  Embarrassed
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: