16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 14:38:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633093 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 16, 2015, 20:52:24 »

This is the relevant section of the agreement:

Customer Services and Stakeholder

24. On Board Food and Drink

24.1 Consistent with the Franchisee's proposal dated October 2014 (as amended) the Franchisee shall throughout the Franchise Term diagram and use all reasonable endeavours to provide an on train food and drink service in accordance with the following specification:
 (a) a food and drink service:
 (i) on all Passenger Services departing Cardiff, Exeter or Bristol for a timetabled arrival at London Paddington in the Morning Peak; and
 (ii) all Passenger Services departing London Paddington in the Evening Peak and timetabled to call at Cardiff, Exeter or Bristol, in each case in respect of that portion of their journey between London Paddington and Cardiff, Exeter and Bristol (as the case may be);
 (b) an at seat first class "Pullman" dining service to be provided on at least two Passenger Services in each direction each Weekday on either or both of the routes between London Paddington and Plymouth and between London Paddington and Cardiff;
 (c) a trolley-based food and drink service for standard class passengers on at least twenty Passenger Services selected by the Franchisee on each Weekday, with such service to be in place on such number of Passenger Services within three months of the Start Date and end when the last of the Sets (as defined in Schedule 6.3) are accepted into revenue earning service. This shall not require trolley services to be provided throughout the duration of each service;
 (d) a trolley-based catering service for standard and first class passengers on each Passenger Service operated by the Sets (as defined in Schedule 6.3) on the services referenced A1 to A4 (Inter City Great Western Main Line) and B (Inter City West of England). This shall not require trolley services to be provided throughout the duration of each service; and
 (e) on board food and drink facilities on all sleeper services.

For the avoidance of doubt, all catering trolleys and crockery acquired by the Franchisee for the purpose of the delivery of its obligations in this paragraph 24 (or other food and drink services) during the Franchise Term which are transferred to a Successor Operator at the end of the Franchise Period are subject to the nil value transfer provisions of paragraph 11 of Part 2 of Schedule 6.1.

Pricing is dealt with elsewhere, but I suspect at that level not regulated.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1021 on: May 16, 2015, 21:01:46 »

Buffets inly open in the peaks with trolleys at other times/weekends then
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 16, 2015, 23:05:37 »

.....good news for Burger King/M & S/Starbucks/Upper Crust etc!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 17, 2015, 20:20:11 »

I saw, this past Friday, one of the new Electronic Point of Sale  (EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale)) terminals installed at a High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) buffet counter. Not yet up and running. Looks like it has a 6"x4" touchscreen, and I guess there will be a separate 'Chip & Pin' terminal.

Made by a company called TouchStar.

Extract from a TouchStar company statement at the end of 2014:

OPERATIONS

Good progress has been made in the mobile retail market. As well as new product developments, we have secured a number of notable contracts, including First Great Western and Leo Express (Czech Republic). These two, are particularly significant contracts as they use our mobile EPOS solution in retail sales onboard trains, where traditionally we have been dominant in the airline industry. These rail contracts, along with new airline orders secured in 2014, clearly demonstrate how our restructured ^mobile retail^ sales team can employ skills and products tried and tested in the airline market for use in the rail arena.

Looks like the second hand job lot British Airways Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS) terminals that Great Western Trains bought back in the late 1990s are finally to be binned.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:15:05 by VickiS » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 17, 2015, 21:00:33 »

Apparently, the new Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale)) terminals will greatly improve getting the right number (and right type) of stock items delivered to the train based on current and past sales, if you believe the blurb!

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:15:42 by VickiS » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 17, 2015, 21:21:45 »

Will make all the difference between having two or three sandwiches on the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trolleys then...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 18, 2015, 17:56:51 »

The most I ever enjoyed on-board service of food was around 1978, heading back to Blackpool from Temple Meads. I forget the specifics, but it was something loco-hauled to Preston that had come from further South West. It was heaving. It had no buffet, but had a guards / luggage carriage, which I got into because the train had just started moving off as I arrived - you wouldn't try this on a High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) - and the sliding doors were still open. It was not even at walking pace, and the door was closed before we got to the end of the platform.

The train managers, as we would now call them, had several shrink-wrap packs of beer and lager, and someone's wife had been busy making most acceptable sandwiches. Prices were very reasonable. Trade, drummed up by passing on the news during an unusually enthusiastic ticket inspection, was brisk. I was allowed to remain there, sitting on my rucksack and sleeping bag, witnessing the prototype of privatisation. I don't know what sanction would have been brought to bear had the powers that be found out, but these chaps didn't seem at all bothered by the possibility, and there were no complaints from the passengers.

Edit : VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:16:12 by VickiS » Logged

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 17, 2015, 15:49:10 »

Currently aboard the 1256 from Plymouth. I was looking forward to either belly pork or lobster. What have I actually eaten? A chicken salad sub roll, crisps and nuts.

1256 turned out with a 409xx catering vehicle. That means one pokey grill, a Merrychef oven and zero prep space. Useless for Pullman service so I was out of luck.

The crew however couldn't have been more apologetic. I was able to have some nice Chablis with my buffet fare. Slightly incongruous sitting in the cheap seats drinking an expensive wine from a plastic glass, but I'm making the best of a bad lot.

Oh, and we're running on one power car also. 25 late at the mo passing Hungryford (sic).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 15:55:14 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 17, 2015, 17:54:00 »

Currently aboard the 1256 from Plymouth. I was looking forward to either belly pork or lobster. What have I actually eaten? A chicken salad sub roll, crisps and nuts.

1256 turned out with a 409xx catering vehicle. That means one pokey grill, a Merrychef oven and zero prep space. Useless for Pullman service so I was out of luck.

The crew however couldn't have been more apologetic. I was able to have some nice Chablis with my buffet fare. Slightly incongruous sitting in the cheap seats drinking an expensive wine from a plastic glass, but I'm making the best of a bad lot.

Oh, and we're running on one power car also. 25 late at the mo passing Hungryford (sic).

I feel for you in your agony...........the ability to cope with such terrible human tragedy and yet still retain a sense of perspective is truly admirable........
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 17, 2015, 20:02:50 »

The ordinary members of these forums have no idea of the hardships suffered, and sacrifices made by the moderation team, in the interests of keeping the members informed.
Not only do the team valiantly eat Pullman meals, PURELY in the interests of reviewing and sometimes photographing  them for our interest, but even worse they sometimes FAIL TO OBTAIN the promised meal, yet still carry on with the now wretched journey in order to report upon the sad circumstances.

(BTW (by the way), I have eaten and reported upon a number of Pullman meals, but they never made me a moderator)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1030 on: July 17, 2015, 20:47:56 »

(BTW (by the way), I have eaten and reported upon a number of Pullman meals, but they never made me a moderator)

Hmmm ... I've never been a moderator here either (admin from day 1), but I now from doing the job on another forum that it can be a pretty thankless task. So I say a big thank you to our current moderator team - and also to Chris and Bob who have admin responsibilities.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 22, 2015, 15:53:15 »

Just arrived in London Paddington on the 10:00 ex-Penzance. They are still taking about you and apologising to you bignosemac.

I did have a lovely meal though!  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 22, 2015, 17:57:59 »

Yeah, rub it in why don't you!  Tongue

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:37 »

Story from the Beeb today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33650226

"A campaign has been set up to save buffet cars on First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) trains as dispute talks over the introduction of new trains continue."

All those in favour of buffets can now register on a Facebook group!
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 24, 2015, 17:50:03 »

Story from the Beeb today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33650226

"A campaign has been set up to save buffet cars on First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) trains as dispute talks over the introduction of new trains continue."

All those in favour of buffets can now register on a Facebook group!

The FGW Spokesman says that buffets take up the space of 50 seats, which I don't dispute. However, surely will the number of seats gained be substantially lower once you account for the new kitchens?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: