Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:28:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629218 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: July 24, 2015, 21:34:58 »

One week after my failed attempt at a Friday Pullman lunch I thought I'd try again.

Checked all the sources I could, mostly through my forum colleague bobm, but also FGW (First Great Western)'s social media team, to see that the catering vehicle on today's 1256 from Plymouth was suitable for providing a full Pullman Dining service. Sources were all in the affirmative so it looked good for a slap up lunch.

Saw the crew before boarding and had a quick chat with the chef. Same one as last Friday. He told me that the oven wasn't working on the train! You can imagine how downhearted I was to hear that. Plus, while this vehicle (40205) had an (OOU (out of use)) oven, it was still not a full size kitchen. Starters and desserts only.

But then, praise be, the chef tells me he's got some lobsters today. Pre-cooked to be served cold with salad. Joy of joy, I'm getting three courses with the chance to sample a main course I've not had before.

So, Smoked Salmon, followed by the Lobster, with Spiced Apple Crumble and Custard to finish. All washed down with my favourite choice from the wine menu, the Chablis.

Five other diners also had the Hobson's choice main course.

Lobster, simply steamed with dressed salad leaves and mayonnaise:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 24, 2015, 21:40:15 »

You can imagine how downhearted I was to hear that.

I know how downhearted he was - I got the text!

I've never had lobster - but I am really tempted to try it now.

Glad you had better luck than last week.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 24, 2015, 21:45:12 »

I know how downhearted he was - I got the text!

Something along the lines of, "**** my life" I believe it was.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 24, 2015, 21:46:21 »

Not an expression I've heard before to be honest!
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 24, 2015, 22:01:34 »

The FGW (First Great Western) Spokesman says that buffets take up the space of 50 seats, which I don't dispute. However, surely will the number of seats gained be substantially lower once you account for the new kitchens?

I dispute the 50 seats. Yes the original mk3 buffet, half first class half counter, would equate to 32 seats as originally designed so could possibly stretch to 50 with current high density (though I think a full std coach seat nos go up to 84 not 100, so 42 is more accurate) but the refurbished micro buffet counters can only take up about 20 seats and I'm sure the kitchen would be a similar size to this.

Alan
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 29, 2015, 22:56:47 »

Boarded the Golden Hind this evening at Reading (1803 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) for a bit of scran.

Bleddy 40205 catering vehicle again.  Angry Shocked Roll Eyes The aforementioned one with the faulty oven and pokey prep area. Lobster, starters and desserts only was all that was on offer. I'm jinxed. That's now three attempts at getting the full Pullman experience in the past fortnight, only to be let down by FGW (First Great Western)'s inability to either diagram a decent sized kitchen or fix the oven on 40205.

Poor show FGW.

Not the Pullman staff though. They continue to do a sterling job in the face of adversity. I made do this evening with a couple of starters (Dressed Crab and Smoked Salmon) and some wine.

Oh, and just to rub it in, the chap sat opposite me got the last half bottle of Chablis so I had to make do with the Sancerre.  Roll Eyes

There is a fillet steak with my name on it. God knows when the two of us will meat though.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 30, 2015, 08:30:04 »

......on the upside though BNM all this seafood/Omega 3 will be doing wonders for your cholestorol level after all those fillet steaks!

Maybe you could combine it with jogging from one end of the train to the other between courses..........could become "The Pullman Diet"!!!   Cheesy
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 30, 2015, 09:54:44 »

Boarded the Golden Hind this evening at Reading (1803 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) for a bit of scran.

Bleddy 40205 catering vehicle again.  Angry Shocked Roll Eyes The aforementioned one with the faulty oven and pokey prep area. Lobster, starters and desserts only was all that was on offer. I'm jinxed. That's now three attempts at getting the full Pullman experience in the past fortnight, only to be let down by FGW (First Great Western)'s inability to either diagram a decent sized kitchen or fix the oven on 40205.

Poor show FGW.

Not the Pullman staff though. They continue to do a sterling job in the face of adversity. I made do this evening with a couple of starters (Dressed Crab and Smoked Salmon) and some wine.

Oh, and just to rub it in, the chap sat opposite me got the last half bottle of Chablis so I had to make do with the Sancerre.  Roll Eyes

There is a fillet steak with my name on it. God knows when the two of us will meat though.

"Dear sir
   I was very sorry to hear of your recent disappointment with our on board catering offer. Unfortunately only a minority of our present trains are equipped with full kitchens, and this does sometimes limit what we can offer.
I am however pleased to advise that our new Super Express Trains will soon be entering service. Following stakeholder discussions and passengers surveys, these new state of the art trains will offer a greatly improved passenger experience including an at seat service of food and drink throughout the train, on selected services.
Meanwhile we will continue to offer the best possible service, within the constraints of a train fleet now about 40 years old."

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:25 »

......on the upside though BNM all this seafood/Omega 3 will be doing wonders for your cholestorol level after all those fillet steaks!

Maybe you could combine it with jogging from one end of the train to the other between courses..........could become "The Pullman Diet"!!!   Cheesy

Take it from me, bignosemac is as likely to take up jogging as I am to fit through the eye of a needle.   Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 30, 2015, 17:13:53 »

The Cheese and Onion Pasties have made a sudden disappearance Sad

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1045 on: July 30, 2015, 17:25:14 »

You probably ate 'em all. Or.  They keep telling people there's no demand.

Reminds me of a certain organisation that withdrew a bus service because it was carrying fresh air around - but told us they weren't going to arrange a demand responsive taxi as they didn't think it would be able to cope with all the people who wanted to use it.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 31, 2015, 09:05:32 »

...........do you mean the Cheese and Onion savoury pastry based snack? (Pedant alert!)  Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 31, 2015, 09:11:11 »

Janners forever!  Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 14, 2015, 18:36:07 »

You probably ate 'em all. Or.  They keep telling people there's no demand.

Now I've eaten all the Cheese and Onion or Cheese and Tomato Toasties Angry

Infact the last 6 HST (High Speed Train) Journeys I've made there has been no vegetarian hot food... No shortage of Egg and Cress Sandwiches however... If they make a sudden disappearance I'm not sorry Tongue Grin Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 15, 2015, 20:32:17 »

It's what they put in oysters that floats my boat, so to speak. I recommend them to the house, but warn the missus first...

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: