Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:50:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629199 times)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: August 16, 2015, 17:01:40 »

However, I had a dozen the other evening and only eight worked !  Grin Shocked
wabbit

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 17, 2015, 08:58:20 »

The campaign to #savethebuffet needs your help! 

Various links here to help you find what you might need:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/savethebuffet?src=hash

The online petition is here:

https://www.change.org/p/first-great-western-save-the-buffet-cars?recruiter=351002432

And a Facebook site too:

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/savethebuffet
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1052 on: August 17, 2015, 09:16:06 »

761 signees says it all really
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 17, 2015, 10:40:25 »

And how many have signed the "abolish the buffet" petition ?

I suspect most ordinary passengers don't even know that the new shorter trains don't have buffets.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 17, 2015, 10:56:43 »

Or care.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1055 on: August 17, 2015, 11:05:09 »

I suspect most ordinary passengers don't even know that the new shorter trains don't have buffets.
I wonder how many 'ordinary passengers' know that most of the Great Western's new 'Intercity' stock will be shorter trains? If pepole knew about that, and there was a petition, and pepole knew about the petition, I reckon that would certainly attract lots signitures. The issue is the same with buffets though, the general public needs to know about both the threat and the petition, and it isn't easy to make everyone aware. If it were easy, I'd have started an online petition against the short trains some time ago. I've no idea how to make enough pepole aware of the petition to make it effective though, so I didn't start one.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 17, 2015, 11:18:20 »

I wonder how many 'ordinary passengers' know that most of the Great Western's new 'Intercity' stock will be shorter trains?

People would not give two hoots if they can get a seat.  If the shorter trains are used on the many services a day when they would be quite sufficient, and the longer sets and doubled up sets provide quite a few more seats than the existing trains on the busier services, then that will be fine as far as the average passenger is concerned.  I do have concerns about certain routes at certain times of the day, but will wait to see how the trains are allocated to the various diagrams (and allow for a short amount of time to adjust them as that is always needed with a complete timetable recast and new trains) before I assume the worst.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1057 on: August 17, 2015, 11:27:43 »

I wonder how many 'ordinary passengers' know that most of the Great Western's new 'Intercity' stock will be shorter trains?
People would not give two hoots if they can get a seat. 

I am reminded of the huge increase in passenger numbers when the Portsmouth to South Wales services were slashed from 6 carriages hauled by a class 33 diesel to 2 carriage units (class 158).

The fact that trains became more frequent and almost clock face did help.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: August 17, 2015, 14:24:52 »

People would not give two hoots if they can get a seat.
I am reminded of the huge increase in passenger numbers when the Portsmouth to South Wales services were slashed from 6 carriages hauled by a class 33 diesel to 2 carriage units (class 158).

The fact that trains became more frequent and almost clock face did help.
I wonder how the 'sparks effect' compares to a frequency enhancement in terms of increased patronage...

Also, compare to East Coast:
ICEC - Current fleet 44x 9 coach trains
ICGW - Current fleet 54x 8 coach trains, 5x 5 coach trains

ICEC - Planned fleet:
  • 43x 9-car
  • 22x 5-car

So, all but one of the full-length EC trains is to be replaced by a full-length class 800/801, with 5-car units for extra services. On that basis I would expect to see something like 54x 9-car plus 5x 5-car as a direct replacement for the current GW (Great Western) fleet, with say 15-20 5-car units for extra services; a total of 54x 9-car and perhaps 25x 5-car. Instead the GW fleet will apparently only have 28 full-length trains, barely half as many as the current fleet. You can say what you like about coupling the 5-car units together, but such a 10-car formation is inferior in almost all respects to a single 9-car unit.

In any case, to match the current 54x IC125s would require 26x 10-car formations along with the 28x 9-car units. That would use 52x of the planned 58x 5-car units. That would leave just 6x 5-car units running singly, just enough to replace the class 180s and leaving no units for the planned increased Bristol and Cheltenham service frequencies. There is, quite plainly, going to have to be a number of services run with shorter trains, and thus a lower chance of getting a seat on those services.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1059 on: August 17, 2015, 14:42:54 »

But *all* current off-peak services (where there is no event to encourage extra pax) have seats available currently....

Frankly, I'll be surprised if services generally still don't have seats available & you're being very pessimistic
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 17, 2015, 14:54:18 »

There was a 12% increase or thereabouts within a year when the 165/166s replaced the various heritage DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) in the Thames Valley.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1061 on: August 17, 2015, 15:01:01 »

And you think the 365s/387s will be seen in the same light of an improvement?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 17, 2015, 15:40:51 »

And how many have signed the "abolish the buffet" petition ?

Hardly anyone cares enough to use it, it's overpriced, it doesn't make money, that's why the buffet will soon be history.....this is not some controversial move about which people are up in arms (......well apart from a few I guess!!!)  Wink
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 17, 2015, 17:00:08 »

And you think the 365s/387s will be seen in the same light of an improvement?

Well there ought to be slightly more room. The 387 even has an armrest between the seats  Grin

The 365 though are of the same vintage really as the existing trains so apart from the lack of 3+2 seating might not look much of an upgrade.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 17, 2015, 18:18:13 »

In any case, to match the current 54x IC125s would require 26x 10-car formations along with the 28x 9-car units. That would use 52x of the planned 58x 5-car units. That would leave just 6x 5-car units running singly, just enough to replace the class 180s and leaving no units for the planned increased Bristol and Cheltenham service frequencies. There is, quite plainly, going to have to be a number of services run with shorter trains, and thus a lower chance of getting a seat on those services.

I can see what you are saying and an immediate look at those figures would suggest that there could be a lack of seats, however I am of the opinion that we should at least wait and see.
There will be no need to double up as many 5 cars as possible bearing in mind that there are many empty seats on High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train))s throughout the day:
Cheltenham services,
High Speed Trains (HST)s to Oxford/Cotswolds
Those running south of Exeter/Plymouth
Those south of Bristol TM(resolve) that head to Weston/Taunton
Probably a majority of services west of Cardiff.

All these sections COULD probably run as 5 cars for 99% of the time.
Also I could be wrong but I expect the 1/2 hourly PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) could be 5 cars as there will be no Reading/Swindon/Other intermediate traffic on these services.

I agree they should have stricter rules on pick up only at Reading (evening) and encourage as many as possible to use the 8/12 car 387s.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:08:10 by VickiS » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: