I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:05:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629254 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: September 16, 2015, 13:46:13 »

Worried about downgraded catering on the Class 800s and 801s? Just look at what CrossCountry are now offering without full kitchens or buffets:

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/media/278100/cateringmenu.pdf

Available to pre-order when you've booked your travel online.

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/catering

If the logistics are robust, this looks like an excellent offering. For the benefit of this forum I may well try this service out in the near future.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 16, 2015, 14:08:16 »

For the benefit of this forum I may well try this service out in the near future.

Please do let us know your findings, as it's an interesting offering.  I do hope that the order is delivered often enough and that a ropey old sandwich isn't offered as a substitute with apologies! 

Presumably these are cooked at one of the several service centres en-route, delivered to the train at the most convenient one, then prepared for service in the galley on the train before being served at-seat?

My personal experience of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) as a whole hasn't changed much over the years in that they are a 'just do enough' franchise rather than a 'going that bit further' franchise as they claim, though that may change with special offers like this one.  The only part of the franchise which consistently impresses me is the on-board staff who are the best of all the TOCs (Train Operating Company) in my opinion - which is saying a lot given the grief they must get from overcrowding and delays.  I travelled on three XC trains yesterday and there were standing passengers on all three.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1067 on: September 16, 2015, 16:02:51 »

For the benefit of this forum I may well try this service out in the near future.

There's really no need for you to put yourself out - not even on our behalf.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 16, 2015, 16:13:44 »

I find it odd that they only offer wine in full (75 cl) bottles. True, they are cheaper than a restaurant would charge, so maybe we should see it as "order a half bottle and get a whole one for no extra charge". I'm not sure if that would count as "going that bit further", or even as socially responsible.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 17:35:47 by stuving » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 16, 2015, 17:10:58 »

My personal experience of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) as a whole hasn't changed much over the years in that they are a 'just do enough' franchise rather than a 'going that bit further' franchise as they claim, though that may change with special offers like this one.  The only part of the franchise which consistently impresses me is the on-board staff who are the best of all the TOCs (Train Operating Company) in my opinion - which is saying a lot given the grief they must get from overcrowding and delays.  I travelled on three XC trains yesterday and there were standing passengers on all three.
I do every thing I can to avoid travelling XC if the journey is longer than 1 hour. I don't blame Arriva, it was the decisions made by the then SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) that thought 4/5 car Voyagers would be suitable on a long distance operation.

I think we all know what will happen in a few years time, the remaining First Great Westerns (FGW (First Great Western)) High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train))s will end up back with XC with the TOC/Dft heralding the arrival of 'proper' trains more suited to a long distance network. I might start using them again if that happens.

XC has always been a Cinderella network and when they did spend some money on new trains, the carriage certainly quickly turned into a pumpkin!

Still, credit to Arriva for coming up with a new initiative to improve their catering offering on the long distance services.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:00:02 by VickiS » Logged
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 16, 2015, 17:32:49 »

Is it April already?  I know you will say I am being negative but I really can't see it working.  XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have enough trouble providing a seat.  So I book a meal, get on the train, find it's only a 4 car voyager and the reservation system is down; pax standing everywhere - would the catering manager kick someone off a table for me?  Or let me sit in first ?  I doubt it!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1071 on: September 16, 2015, 18:01:43 »

Check the Terms & Conditions (T&C)s but I reckon you'd simply get a refund on monies paid (well in advance, no interest sorry), probably after you having to apply for it rather than automatically, and possibly many weeks later

I share your thoughts

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:00:57 by VickiS » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 16, 2015, 18:06:53 »

They are not asking for pre-payment, which looks like a risk from their viewpoint.

Not also that the menus are headed "Breakfast" and "Afternoon and evening", without times, while the service hours are 06:00-18:00. How is that 18:00 cut-off defined? That could be important for a lot of people if the service is to be any use.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1073 on: September 16, 2015, 18:15:20 »

Strewth, I should say so.

"Oh sorry, I don't feel like eating x & y today" will be a regular (very) occurance
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 16, 2015, 18:23:48 »

I notice this is only available on the Edinburgh to Plymouth service and Manchester to Bournemouth. So basically Cross Country are looking to provide hot meals for long distance passengers who are much more likely to splash out I guess.

I'm impressed with the menu and prices, it's a huge leap forward and I would be pleased to see a similar offering on selected FGW (First Great Western) services. However I agree with those who doubt the ability of Cross Country to offer a consistent service, but I wish them well
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 16, 2015, 19:02:38 »

On reflection, are the two routes offering this menu operated by High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train))s?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:05:56 by VickiS » Logged
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: September 16, 2015, 19:17:06 »

If the logistics are robust, this looks like an excellent offering. For the benefit of this forum I may well try this service out in the near future.
If the meals are served as well as they are in the pictures and are a reasonably sized portion, I would say they appear to be very good value for money, especially given the good selection of meal types.  If, however, they are just microwave meals in a plastic dish, then I would be slightly disappointed.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1077 on: September 16, 2015, 19:29:01 »

Diverting the conversation slightly, I noticed on my recent business trip to Greece that prices of food and drink in "captive" environments (e.g. on trains, at airports, at train stations, in museums, on ferries, etc) is regulated.

If drinks are served, the following must be offered for sale:
Water 500ml bottle ^0.35
Greek coffee ^1.20
Instant coffee ^1.20
Tea ^1.20

If food is served, the following must be offered:
Cheese sandwich or toast ^1.25
Ham and cheese sandwich or toast ^1.45

I thought this was an excellent idea, especially considering some European airports (e.g. Nice) charge as much as ^2.20 for a 500ml bottle of water.  That being said, some shops (even onboard a ferry) hide the regulated price list away and keep the 500ml bottles of water out of sight.  Nevertheless, they are available on demand.

I wonder whether a similar regulation in the UK (United Kingdom) would:
a) do something to help the public perception of profiteering in certain captive retail environments
b) make buffet cars or trolleys more popular, e.g. people buying an additional overpriced item whilst buying their regulated water?
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 16, 2015, 19:29:54 »

On reflection, are the two routes offering this menu operated by High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train))s?
Nope, the MAN-BMH are purely voyagers.  The few High Speed Trains (HST)s are all on the routes to/from PLY» (Plymouth - next trains), and go south in the morning and north in the evening.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 21:06:50 by VickiS » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 16, 2015, 19:55:57 »

There's really no need for you to put yourself out - not even on our behalf.  Wink Cheesy Grin

I have to continue to live up to my Trundling Trencherman epithet. Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: