16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:36:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633059 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1095 on: October 23, 2015, 13:49:22 »

They were losing money, I'm sure.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 23, 2015, 16:05:19 »

Or 72 on 2x5car bi-modes, and the same on the 9car 801s. (two sections I believe) - so they'll lay up one section & leave the other.

On a double 5 car unit, then yes in theory most of the first class in one unit could be laid for dining, and none in the other unit.
I suspect that that this wont work very well in practice. Customers in the non dining end wont be able to walk through and partake of a meal since no gangways between units are provided.
Non dining first class may be aggrieved that they cant walk through to the non dining end.
One would presume that the Pullman will be in the unit to be detached at Plymouth, so longer distance passengers who wish to dine will have to board the Plymouth terminating unit, and then at some intermediate stop will have to alight and walk along the platform to the through portion, hoping that they get one of the 36 seats.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1097 on: October 23, 2015, 16:11:22 »

There is always CIS (Customer Information System) / announcements / staff on platform to advise of the catering whereabouts - and for exactly the reason you give, I'm pretty sure you're wrong & the kitchen in use will be in the stock going all the way to the destination.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 03, 2015, 18:34:47 »

Been told new Pullman Menus will be launched on the 18th January.

Don't have too many details.

What I do know....

Salmon starter and steak main course remain (no surprise)

Scallop starter gets a makeover and will be prepared with a spicy sauce.

A lamb dish and one with duck will be added.  Both have featured before but I suspect these will be differently prepared.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 04, 2015, 20:11:28 »

Tasty! I'm very partial to scallops.

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1100 on: December 04, 2015, 20:25:11 »

Already being updated/amended. Steward this morning said priblems arose during a test day recently, but didn't say what they were
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 07, 2016, 21:08:48 »

Been told new Pullman Menus will be launched on the 18th January.

Don't have too many details.

What I do know....

Salmon starter and steak main course remain (no surprise)

Scallop starter gets a makeover and will be prepared with a spicy sauce.

A lamb dish and one with duck will be added.  Both have featured before but I suspect these will be differently prepared.

I received copies of the new menus this evening. Evolution not revolution is probably the best way to describe them.

As they aren't in the public domain yet I've been asked not to share them. However, bobm's details about some of the new dishes are pretty accurate.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 15, 2016, 08:30:00 »

An excellent, as always, breakfast on the Up South Wales Pullman from Bristol Parkway this morning. No news yet on South Wales seeing a return of an up lunch and down dinnner. The staff remain hopeful. 

Been a while since I've posted a meal picture. Nothing new, just the ever excellent Great Westerner breakfast:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 15, 2016, 09:46:57 »

Cranberry Juice - or a nice breakfast wine? . . .
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 15, 2016, 10:09:32 »

Cranberry. Red wine is no for me at 8am.

I did consider a Bloody Mary though.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:33 »

Never before noon! Although it's quarter past 6 in Kuala Lumpur.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 20, 2016, 19:08:44 »

My complimentary meal today on the 1201 Plymouth-London Paddington. Dining courtesy of GWR (Great Western Railway) following an unsavoury incident during my last Pullman meal. The incident discussed in Frequent Posters where my night ended with a friendly chat with BTP (British Transport Police).

Dined with fellow forum member bobm and he was no doubt delighted to learn that my comp was +1. Including alcohol. He celebrated this revelation with a full bottle of Prosecco.

(No. That's a lie. He ordered the fizz before learning he was 'comp' too.)

Excellent food and service as always. My trials and tribulations with GWR are well documented on this forum. However, the Pullman teams remain an excellent advertisement for GWR. Thanks today to Service Leader Steve, Chef Simon, and hosts Victoria and Helen.

Pictures and new Menu 1 review will follow in the next day or two.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 20, 2016, 19:30:07 »

Excellent, glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
As you, and others, have pointed out elsewhere on these forums, there is a lot that FGW (First Great Western) and more recently GWR (Great Western Railway) could do better, and at least a few things that they get blatantly wrong.

Pullman dining is arguably one of the best things about GWR so let us give praise where it is due. AFAIK (as far as I know), GWR are now the only TOC (Train Operating Company) to offer a proper freshly cooked meal, silver served onto proper crockery and with a decent choice of wine and other drink.

Now that I have moved to the West I seldom have any excuse to dine on the train and I rather miss it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 13:32:41 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 20, 2016, 20:47:57 »

Not available on the Severn Beach Line, sadly.

Now, please!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1109 on: January 24, 2016, 10:44:07 »

AFAIK (as far as I know), GWR (Great Western Railway) are now the only TOC (Train Operating Company) to offer a proper freshly cooked meal, silver served onto proper crockery and with a decent choice of wine and other drink.
I had a nice cooked breakfast on ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC))'s Y Gerallt Gymro once, served on proper crockery. That should be still going, I don't know if they serve alcohol though since I don't drink the stuff.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: