Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:24:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629192 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: January 24, 2016, 17:58:14 »

As I said a couple of posts back bobm and I dined on the Pullman last Wednesday to sample the new menu one which began on 18th January 2016. On this first menu of the three in rotation (see attached) there were a couple of new dishes, with the ever present standards of Salmon starter and Steak main. And the fish dish and alternative meat main see changes in their preparation/sauce rather than being totally new compared to what went before.

For starter I ordered one of the completely new dishes - Broad Bean and Pea Samosa with Spiced Aubergine

I'm not a huge fan of either broad beans or aubergine, but this was an interesting looking addition to the menu so I thought I'd give it a go. The samosas were delicately spiced and very tasty. The aubergine accompaniment was similar to a houmous. Again, very nice. I suspect the aubergine is either North African or Middle East inspired.

My main course was an evolution of a previous menu dish - Slow Braised Somerset Pork Belly with Fennel and Quince

I really love the slow braised pork. The flesh is so tender and the fat just melts in the mouth. This dish was probably my favourite from the previous menus. Now prepared with a fennel and quince sauce which is, to my mind, an improvement on the cabbage and wholegrain mustard sauce it previously came with. My favourite dish is now even better!

For dessert. A simple dish - Butterscotch Pudding with Somerset Brandy Sauce

As puddings go it was okay, just nothing special. I would have liked to have had some clotted cream to go with it just to cut through the richness of both the pudding and sauce. Only minor criticisms though - I still polished it off!

There are some new additions to the wine menu but I stuck with my favourite - the Clotilde Davenne Chablis. Also on the drinks menu is a new spirit - Shipwreck Somerset Cider Brandy (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News item about the cider brandy and the barrels used to mature it). Both bobm and I wanted to try one of these as a postprandial snifter but unfortunately, while the bottle was aboard, it hadn't been added to the Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale)), so couldn't be sold. Another time...

Overall, a very enjoyable meal. The service remains excellent, with staff who are dedicated to the job they do. I've said it countless times, they are a credit to GWR (Great Western Railway). It's just a shame that the reason for dining last week was because of an experience at the hands of another GWR employee who was anything but a credit to the company.

My thanks to my dining companion bobm for coming along. Although, to be fair, he doesn't need much encouragement to partake of a Pullman meal! My thanks also to Jason Ness, Jo Elliot and Matthew Galton at GWR who arranged and signed off on the complimentary meal and drinks. In fact, double thanks to them - I was only expecting my meal to be covered but they added a '+1' to the booking.

Finally, another thing I always say when reviewing the Pullman services. Get out there and try it. There really is nothing that compares to fine dining at over 100mph. If you've never done it then put it on your bucket list. The nature of rail services in the UK (United Kingdom) mean nothing is ever certain forever, and we don't know what the future holds for Pullman dining on the Greater Western franchise, so better to try the experience sooner rather than later.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 20:54:33 by VickiS » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 25, 2016, 20:24:39 »

The new menu sounds impressive, I would probably go for the long established smoked salmon starter and fillet steak main course, but might of course be tempted by the newer choices.

I am particularly pleased to see English white wine, English sparkling wine, and of course the Somerset cider brandy on the wine list.

A neighbour would like to know "can non dining passengers buy wine from the Pullman wine list" They appreciate that the Pullman wines would not be part of the normal buffet stock carried on most services, but wondered if non dining customers can buy them if on a service that DOES have a Pullman.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 25, 2016, 20:59:32 »

How does the seating for two work on the Pullman?  Is it still a pair of seats facing each other over a single table, or must couples sit at a table for four like they would in the new layout of First Class with the single seat airline style arrangement?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1113 on: January 25, 2016, 21:27:57 »

They're on a table for 4, either opposite or side-by-side....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:21 »

They're on a table for 4, either opposite or side-by-side....

Nope.

Coach K (when it's not a Standard Class micro buffet!)  has three bays of 4, two bays of 2 and a single seat. A couple could therefore sit at a bay of 2.

That's the usually layout in a 407** Trailer Restaurant First Buffet. There are some minor variations in other TRFBs (Trailer Restaurant First Buffet (Mark 3 coach type)) but always at least two bays of 2.

Usual allocation to Pullman services is a set with a 407** catering vehicle. These have the full size kitchen.

408** vehicles are ones that have seen their kitchens extended, noticeable by a blanked out full size window on the kitchen side of the vehicle. These can also be used by the Pullman crews but are less favoured as there are fewer appliances. They'd not normally be diagrammed for a Pullman service.

402** and 409** Trailer Restaurant First Buffet's (TRFB)s vehicles are useless for Pullman service. Noticeable by having 4 large windows and additional seating bays. These have tiny kitchen areas with insufficient appliances to produce a full Pullman service. They shouldn't be diagrammed for Pullman services.

Edit:VickiS - Clarifying acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 20:56:51 by VickiS » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1115 on: January 26, 2016, 07:16:07 »

Having a silly thought. Do sets with 407xx vehicles have short or long swing links?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:32 »

Dining on the Weymouth Wizard maybe?  At a guess, as the SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) sets were originally built for the Cross Country services they would be unlikely to have a restaurant kitchen.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1117 on: January 26, 2016, 08:43:54 »

Coach K (when it's not a Standard Class micro buffet!)  has three bays of 4, two bays of 2 and a single seat. A couple could therefore sit at a bay of 2.

Thanks for that clarification.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 26, 2016, 16:24:02 »

Just as a postscript to bignosemac's guide to catering vehicles - if a 402xx turns up you should still get a meal depending on the chef.   Some will do only starters and desserts, others will cut down the number of main dishes on offer due to the lack of facilities in the kitchen.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1119 on: January 26, 2016, 18:37:30 »

Dining on the Weymouth Wizard maybe?  At a guess, as the SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) sets were originally built for the Cross Country services they would be unlikely to have a restaurant kitchen.

Cry

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 26, 2016, 18:55:39 »

The vast majority of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s fleet is SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)). I'd be very surprised if the majority of the TRFBs (Trailer Restaurant First Buffet (Mark 3 coach type)) aren't SSL.

On my diverted trip to Waterloo at Easter 2015 we were on a set that had one LSL(resolve) carriage in the set. That wasn't the TRFB I was sat in.

So, I think the idea of special service to Weymouth with at seat food service could be a good promotional venture.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 26, 2016, 19:10:31 »

I did find this elsewhere on the net, so maybe all is indeed not lost.

4) Practically all (if not all of) the fGW HST (High Speed Train) sets have been fitted with the Short Swing Link modification in case diversions into third rail territory is required. The two types can be identified by the letters LSL(resolve) or SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) painted on the coach ends.

Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 27, 2016, 00:17:12 »

I would be very grateful if it could be explained what LSL(resolve) or SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) means in relation to eating a meal on a train! Thanks.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 27, 2016, 00:26:20 »

I would be very grateful if it could be explained what LSL(resolve) or SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) means in relation to eating a meal on a train! Thanks.

Something to do with swinging. I'm not sure I want to know the full truth.

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 27, 2016, 05:17:04 »

Fair question. Short Swing Link bogied sets are not able to run on lines where third rail is present, so can't run to Weymouth. Hence, if one wanted to have a restaurant service on the Weymouth Wizard, it would only be viable if at least one restaurant car is fitted with the Long Swing Link variety. Which, after some thought, I concluded was the idea behind Grahame's question a few posts back.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: