21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:22:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 633130 times)
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: January 27, 2016, 12:38:31 »

Makes sense - thanks John R!  Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 27, 2016, 16:05:19 »

I would be very grateful if it could be explained what LSL(resolve) or SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) means in relation to eating a meal on a train! Thanks.
Fair question. Short Swing Link bogied sets are not able to run on lines where third rail is present, so can't run to Weymouth. Hence, if one wanted to have a restaurant service on the Weymouth Wizard, it would only be viable if at least one restaurant car is fitted with the Long Swing Link variety. Which, after some thought, I concluded was the idea behind Grahame's question a few posts back.

Except that this is totally the wrong way round.

It is the few LSL bogied carriages in the GWR (Great Western Railway) fleet that are banned from third rail land. GWR wouldn't and shouldn't have to ensure at least one restaurant car is fitted with the Long Swing Link variety. If they did, a potential service to Weymouth would have to stop at Dorchester West.

Your own quote earlier stated that the vast majority of GWR's fleet was SSL.

There are plenty of TRFBs (Trailer Restaurant First Buffet (Mark 3 coach type)) with SSL bogies in the sets allocated to Laira Depot. There must be as it was services to and from the west that were diverted into and out of Waterloo numerous times in recent years.

To re-state it once again. It is Long Swing Link bogies that cannot run over third rail. Of which GWR only have a few carriages fitted.

Here's detail of what happens when the train operator gets it wrong, and explanation with pictures of the physical differences between the bogie types.:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15602.0

Perhaps continued discussion on SSL and LSL bogies should carry on over there.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 27, 2016, 18:21:19 »

Apologies for the confusion and contradiction with my earlier post. That's what happens when you post at 5am with an addled brain. Thanks for the correction BNM.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 30, 2016, 17:13:34 »

An article singing the praises of the GWR (Great Western Railway) Pullman's from The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk/englands-last-dining-car-great-western-railway-s-pullman-offers-escapism-and-luxury-a6840901.html

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1129 on: January 30, 2016, 18:32:53 »

"Only open to First Class ticket holders?"......hmmm
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 30, 2016, 19:36:16 »

"Only open to First Class ticket holders?"......hmmm

Indeed, in an otherwise accurate report, why cant they state that the Pullman is "open to all passengers, though on busy services priority is given to first class ticket holders" No detailed research is needed, simply a quote from the GWR (Great Western Railway) website !
Still glad to see favourable publicity for the service though.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 30, 2016, 20:24:07 »

just looked at the menu.....one of these days, when I've paid the mortgage off and won the lottery, I am definitely going to give the Pullman a go!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1132 on: April 27, 2016, 00:59:29 »

From the Great Western Railway press release:

New GWR (Great Western Railway) Pullman Listing For Cornish Winery

Train travellers on the Great Western Railway Pullman dining car can now toast their journey in true regional style, raising a glass of Knightor Brut Classic Cuvee as they enjoy the picturesque scenery of the South West.

Knightor, an award-winning winery near St Austell in South Cornwall, was selected to provide the sparkling wine by GWR food ambassador and Devon restauranteur Mitch Tonks and his wine merchant Sommelier^s Choice; Trevannion ^ a still wine from Knightor ^ was listed on the Pullman last year.

Adrian Derx, Owner of Knightor Winery, was thrilled to learn that Knightor Brut had been chosen for the prestigious spot, saying: ^It^s a real honour for us to represent the West Country in this way. There are so many excellent wines being made in the region now, and local bubbles are a great match for the delicious food served on-board the Pullman.^

GWR Pullman dining, a luxury on-board restaurant, gives travellers an opportunity to sample the finest Westcountry produce in a menu designed by Tonks ^ one of the region^s food heroes.

Featuring ingredients such as Somerset pork belly and fillet steak, Cornish seafood, and a variety of Westcountry cheeses, it^s the perfect introduction to a region which is justifiably proud of its food culture.

Jo Elliott, Head of Customer Engagement at GWR, said: ^We were absolutely delighted to list the lovely Trevannion last year, and even more excited to add the Knightor Brut in time for spring 2016. What better way to celebrate the fantastic food of the South West, while watching the region's beautiful countryside speed by, than by opening a bottle of this delicious bubbly on one of our trains!^

She added: ^Adrian puts real passion into making his wines and I am very pleased to able to showcase these two in this way.^

Knightor Winery owns vineyards at Seaton in South East Cornwall and Portscatho on the Roseland Peninsular, and also sources fruit from other local growers.

The Knightor Brut Classic Cuvee is described as: ^Delicate, with a slightly floral nose competing with citrus and apple notes, as well as a hint of freshly baked bread. The palate is very well balanced, with vibrant, fine bubbles. Restrained fruit flavours and a lovely crisp acidity give way to a clean, refreshing finish.^

Having sampled the wines on their journey, visitors to Cornwall may also be interested in paying the winery a visit for a tour and tasting; for information on travel and opening hours visit http://www.knightor.com/activities-tours.html.

For more information please contact Lucy Studley - mail@cornwallcontent.com

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 27, 2016, 05:51:10 »

Slightly old news, as the article hints (Spring 2016) - it has been on there since January since when I have had two or three bottles - not at the same time you understand!   Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1134 on: April 27, 2016, 17:55:30 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

To be fair, it is perhaps rather flat news - but that particular e-mail press release was sent to me by Great Western Railway at 12:10 on 22 April 2016.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 27, 2016, 18:43:38 »

- not at the same time you understand!   Grin

I space mine over a couple of hours.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 30, 2016, 07:14:37 »

Bottle number four, or was it five.... Grin

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 09, 2016, 19:55:15 »

... and, ideally, we could arrange a suitable date to include broadgage, and take over a table for four for the entire journey.  Wink Cheesy Grin

I fear that this may prove problematic to arrange in view of my much reduced use of the trains now that I live in the West. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I expect to make one of my now infrequent trips to London next week.
From Taunton on the 13-34, the earlier of the two lunchtime Pullmans.
Returning from London on the 19-03.

Probably Monday OR Tuesday, I am flexible as to which day. Will I have the honour of meeting any regulars in the Pullman ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 09, 2016, 20:02:04 »

Not sure what I'm doing next week. Too many external factors at the moment.

Are you dining both ways on the same day or is that up on Monday and back on Tuesday?   Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1139 on: May 09, 2016, 20:03:23 »

Cue 'the Trundling Trenchermen' ?  Wink Cheesy Grin

Sadly, I will not be able to join you: I'm working.  Roll Eyes

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: