Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:16:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629224 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: September 21, 2018, 06:21:40 »

More correctly, the food is heated in a triple combination oven. Microwave, convection and tuned impingement together.  That's how your bacon roll stays crusty and your toastie/hot panini doesn't go all limp and soggy.

…………..as I go through life I often reflect on how soggy my panini would be without a tuned impingement to firm it up now and again.

A triple combination oven - now that could do wonders for my cooking.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 22, 2018, 10:30:23 »

Timmer, you should know by now there's only one thing that broadgage is concerned about!
I know and I know it disappoints him to think there are those who could be going hungry because the train is short formed.

I would assure you that many other subjects concern me, however this thread is about CATERING.
Years ago I stated that the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) would have no buffet, such views were widely ridiculed, though ultimately proved correct.
AFTER the new units were specified without buffets, a survey was done to prove that buffets were no longer wanted.
Advocates of the new trains changed their tune from "of course there will be a buffet" to "a trolley is much better, surveys show it"
I also stated that on a 5+5 train that the trolley would be in the other portion. This has happened regularly despite assurances that two trolleys would be provided on full length trains.
I further stated that downgrading the catering to only a trolley would much reduce choice, this also has happened, despite promises of improved trolleys that would "keep hot things hot and cold things cold"
A hot food service in standard class was also promised but seems to have sunk without trace.

Advocates of the new shorter trains have now had to change tack AGAIN by stating I should not judge the new trains on what is offered at present, but should wait until the whole fleet is in use.

Have to agree with your sentiments

Buffets are a great loss on the 2+ hour services but anyone who has followed the machinations of First will know they have been desperate to ditch the buffets for some time.

The new trolleys will prove inadequate because of the reasons you state, plus my experience of the trolley service on the Exeter to Waterloo line and Cross Country is that whilst some trolley crew are great, others prefer to sulk at the front/back of the train.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 22, 2018, 13:04:31 »

Advocates of the new shorter trains have now had to change tack AGAIN by stating I should not judge the new trains on what is offered at present, but should wait until the whole fleet is in use.

As an advocate I think it’s only fair that once the trains are all in service we allow a further ‘bedding in period’ before we make a final judgement.  Five or so years would seem an appropriate amount of time.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 23, 2018, 21:35:59 »

Always downgrade facilities as much as possible. If SOME units allegedly don't need a buffet, then build them ALL without a buffet. No question of course of building them all WITH a buffet, even if this might not be needed on every diagram.
If all the 802s had been built with buffets though, you would lose seats on the busy Oxford/Cotswold commuter route.
Why not just move the kitchen space to between 1st and standard and incorporate the buffet into that? Very little extra space needed to do that I would have thought.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 23, 2018, 22:01:14 »

New allegedly intercity trains without a buffet car is a significant downgrade for 4+ hour journeys. This is not just my view.

I agree with that.  Trouble is the percentage of passengers travelling 4+hours on GWR (Great Western Railway)'s long distance routes is tiny.

The coffee has been seriously downgraded on journeys of all distances as there's only instant available from the trolley.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1385 on: September 23, 2018, 22:13:12 »

The coffee has been seriously downgraded on journeys of all distances as there's only instant available from the trolley.

? I thought there were two coffees available - the instant and also a ground coffee in a special cup that you drink through a filter at a slightly higher cost.   Or was that just a trial (and not popular because no-one knew about it  Wink )

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 23, 2018, 22:22:08 »

? I thought there were two coffees available - the instant and also a ground coffee in a special cup that you drink through a filter at a slightly higher cost.   Or was that just a trial (and not popular because no-one knew about it  Wink )
Or weren’t prepared to pay for it.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 23, 2018, 22:44:53 »

Always downgrade facilities as much as possible. If SOME units allegedly don't need a buffet, then build them ALL without a buffet. No question of course of building them all WITH a buffet, even if this might not be needed on every diagram.
If all the 802s had been built with buffets though, you would lose seats on the busy Oxford/Cotswold commuter route.
Why not just move the kitchen space to between 1st and standard and incorporate the buffet into that? Very little extra space needed to do that I would have thought.

For two reasons, firstly SOME of the kitchen area cant be used for seating as it in the crumple Zone.
Secondly and more importantly, FGW (First Great Western), later GWR (Great Western Railway), have decided that they don't wont buffets and have already done the survey to justify this downgrade.
Providing a buffet would be an admission of defeat.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 23, 2018, 22:57:51 »

I just checked with my coffee fiend friend and she said that the choice on the High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train)) was Americano, Cappuccino, Cafe Latte & Espresso. Her comments on the IET (Intercity Express Train) coffee are mostly four letter words. Suffice to say that the instant cappuccino she was offered wasn't popular.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 15:30:32 by VickiS » Logged
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 23, 2018, 23:20:05 »

For two reasons, firstly SOME of the kitchen area cant be used for seating as it in the crumple Zone.
Secondly and more importantly, FGW (First Great Western), later GWR (Great Western Railway), have decided that they don't wont buffets and have already done the survey to justify this downgrade.
Providing a buffet would be an admission of defeat.

Unless things have radically changed since the draft DfT» (Department for Transport - about) layouts were published then none of the kitchen was in the crumple zone. It can't be because at the other end of the train there are standard seats in the kitchen space. There is a small staff space behind the driver and the staff only door that you might be thinking of but that's not used by the kitchen.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 23:34:31 by 1st fan » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 24, 2018, 00:23:56 »

That’s correct.  No part of the kitchen is in the crumple zone, though if new menu proposals are accepted it will become part of the crumpet zone.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 24, 2018, 00:59:15 »

That’s correct.  No part of the kitchen is in the crumple zone, though if new menu proposals are accepted it will become part of the crumpet zone.

Now look II, how many times have I told you not to write things for me to read like that when I'm having a drink or two.... Grin
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 24, 2018, 01:12:13 »

Thanks for the correction, I have no reason to doubt your information, but it seems contrary to what FGW (First Great Western) implied about a buffet taking up seating space.
FGW were however desperate to get rid of buffets so I don't take their views too seriously.

So apart from the FGW/GWR (Great Western Railway) "no buffets policy" nothing prevents use of the present kitchen area for seating, and the provision of a proper kitchen and buffet between first and standard class, as found on a proper inter-city train rather than a regional DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit).

I cant see GWR admitting defeat and allowing buffets, but I suppose a future operator might.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 24, 2018, 07:46:40 »

I thought the No Buffets policy had been decided by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) before GWR (Great Western Railway) had a say in the design and that although they said GWR could change the layout they were given little real option as it was so late in the day.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 24, 2018, 11:40:11 »

I cant see GWR (Great Western Railway) admitting defeat and allowing buffets, but I suppose a future operator might.

I suppose there would be nothing stopping a future operator modifying the stock as it has been designed to be modified fairly easily with the modular design of the interiors.  However it would still cost money, take units out of revenue earning service while they were modified, and assuming they're not transferred to longer distance routes I don't think any other operator would want to take on the additional costs of providing a buffet on GWR's routes (with the possible exception of London to Plymouth/Penzance) for the reasons I outlined in post #1365.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: