I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:06:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629246 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1395 on: September 24, 2018, 11:48:21 »

As the contract would still be with Hitachi (who would be contracted to modify them, I guess)< that contract could specify that they put one (or more, depending how many get converted at a time). Solves the stock-in-use problem, but I agree there'll be a cost for conversion
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 30, 2018, 18:24:51 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are replying to passengers on twitter that they are looking at a new first class and standard class food offering.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 30, 2018, 21:17:19 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) are replying to passengers on twitter that they are looking at a new first class and standard class food offering.

This needs watching very carefully.
From what we have seen in recent years, I naturally suspect more downgrades.

In standard class "a revised trolley offering, more in line with the results of recent market research, and resulting in a quicker service for all passengers"  That being PR (Public Relations) speak for nothing on some services, and a reduced choice on longer distance trains.

In first class "an improved catering offer available to all first class customers on selected services" That being PR speak for no more full restaurants with a microwaved airline meal instead.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 30, 2018, 23:57:19 »

The boss has said in the latest staff circular "There are service areas we need to get right - and making the most of the catering opportunities on board our IETs (Intercity Express Train) is one of them..."

It sounds like something is in the offing.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 03, 2018, 23:25:05 »

The boss has said in the latest staff circular "There are service areas we need to get right - and making the most of the catering opportunities on board our IETs (Intercity Express Train) is one of them..."

Hallelujah!
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 04, 2018, 17:59:56 »

I have heard plenty of waffle from GWR bosses in staff communications, I wouldn’t bet my house on anything too drastic, or too expensive happening anytime soon.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 04, 2018, 22:22:57 »

Different sandwich fillings perhaps.
Calling the trolley a "gourmet at seat selection" perhaps.
Something complicated involving smartphones and apps, possibly.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 05, 2018, 09:05:03 »

Also apparently there are plans to operate two trolleys ok the nine cars.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 06, 2018, 10:55:15 »

Also apparently there are plans to operate two trolleys on the nine cars.

Was not two trolleys originally a promise ?
Which then became a future aspiration.
And if eventually sometimes achieved will no doubt be touted as a great step forward !

CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 06, 2018, 13:11:39 »

Also apparently there are plans to operate two trolleys on the nine cars.

Was not two trolleys originally a promise ?
Which then became a future aspiration.
And if eventually sometimes achieved will no doubt be touted as a great step forward !

Well, GWR (Great Western Railway) aren’t the best at keeping promises.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: October 06, 2018, 13:19:44 »

Pullman dining is settling in on the IETs (Intercity Express Train). Not without its problems though:

https://twitter.com/seatsixtyone/status/1047853338790907906?s=20

Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 06, 2018, 16:03:52 »

It's interesting to re-read the first few pages of this thread from nine years ago, to see what has changed.

People talking about the Travelling Chef (long since axed), no advance tickets on the Cotswold Line (we now have them) and Broadgage at his cynical best claiming the trend is to remove one Pullman train per timetable change and predicting it won't be long until it was gone entirely.  It was four trains a day back then, and that number has in fact increased to ten since!  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 07, 2018, 09:02:14 »

Whilst I am glad to say that my cynical prediction regarding the end of Pullman dining was nor realised, my other catering prediction regarding the abolition of buffets was unfortunately true.

For years I forecast, and then stated as a fact that "the new trains wont have buffets" Many respected members of these forums took a different view and felt that I was being unduly negative.
Even after drawings of the internal layout were shown, without a buffet, it was pointed out that this was only "one possible layout"
Several members felt that my criticisms were premature because "none of us have actually seen a new train yet" I felt able to complain about the absence of a buffet without personal inspection.

I also predicted the abolition of the travelling chef, and that the trolley service on the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) would be inadequate.

The retention of the Pullman service Is most welcome, but does not  make up for the building a large fleet of so called inter-city trains without buffets.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: October 07, 2018, 09:49:06 »

Whilst I am glad to say that my cynical prediction regarding the end of Pullman dining was nor realised..............

A few of weeks ago, I was chatting to a couple of chaps who had independently booked First Class Advance tickets (for November) for Newton Abbot to Paddington and return, specifically to sample the delights of the Pullman. Both had tickets for the Up Golden Hind and the 12:03 back from Paddington the following day.  In one case, the Up reservation was in Coach E, whilst the Down was in coach L. The other chap had reservations for coach L (Up) and coach E (return). Logic tells me that the reservations system indicates an expected 2x5 IET (Intercity Express Train) formation for both services. If that is the case, one of these two is going to miss out on his Pullman dining unless an High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train)) turns up  Sad

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 15:28:59 by VickiS » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: October 07, 2018, 14:18:25 »

GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Pullman Dining page tells you:
You’ll need to reserve your seat at least one hour before your train leaves. Only make a reservation if you’re planning to dine with us.

I says nothing about whether this is the same as any seat reservation on this train, or First Advance, or whether it's an extra dining reservation (it also uses the term booking).

It also says this:
There are currently no available spaces for wheelchair users, or accessible toilets, on our Pullman services.

Our new Intercity Express Train Pullman coaches, which will start to enter service in 2018, will provide access to wheelchair users and have accessible toilets.

So I can understand if passengers can't follow GWR's instructions - or even find them. Wake up, someone in there!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: