What do I gain from registering? [here]
 tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 02:30:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 628286 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: July 07, 2019, 18:57:36 »

I haven't been able to find out anymore details yet, but as I was waiting on the train alongside, staff were laying up what appeared to be a Saturday Pullman service on the 08:35 London Paddington to Paignton service (although crew shortages meant it was only going as far as Exeter St David's).

A Pullman on a Saturday ! Astonishing if true, and as you say it certainly looks like a Pullman.
Even more astonishing if considering that even weekday trains to Paignton have not had restaurants for years.
Anyone got more detail ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 08, 2019, 18:30:08 »

Moving on to trolley services, I have a gut feeling that they may actually do more business than a traditional buffet car. They will possibly engender impulse buying, which may not happen if a passenger has to get out of their seat and wander a few coaches away to the buffet, and I am also sure that there are many passengers who don't like walking around in moving trains - we all know that there is an element pf "sea legs" required, which is a skill that the occasional traveller may not have developed.

There is another side of course. I can't be alone in when I decide I want some refreshment, I want it now, not when the trolley finally appears!  I would much rather walk to the buffet and have a full range of hot and cold snacks, freshly brewed coffee etc, rather than a poor choice of crisps and nuts off a trolley with lukewarm coffee from a flask!  I bet they never asked the questions like that in the survey where they got the support for trolleys!
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 08, 2019, 18:49:54 »

Moving on to trolley services, I have a gut feeling that they may actually do more business than a traditional buffet car. They will possibly engender impulse buying, which may not happen if a passenger has to get out of their seat and wander a few coaches away to the buffet, and I am also sure that there are many passengers who don't like walking around in moving trains - we all know that there is an element pf "sea legs" required, which is a skill that the occasional traveller may not have developed.

There is another side of course. I can't be alone in when I decide I want some refreshment, I want it now, not when the trolley finally appears!  I would much rather walk to the buffet and have a full range of hot and cold snacks, freshly brewed coffee etc, rather than a poor choice of crisps and nuts off a trolley with lukewarm coffee from a flask!  I bet they never asked the questions like that in the survey where they got the support for trolleys!

The trolley service won't do much business if, as reported, they tend to hide in the first class kitchen, or if they can't get through a rammed 5 vice 10 coach train!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 08, 2019, 19:06:58 »

On a recent trip, the trolley was hiding in the first class kitchen but was "unable" to sell me any wine or beer because "the card machine is broken" I offered cash, but that was no good either.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1474 on: July 08, 2019, 19:27:31 »

Quote from: broadgage
On a recent trip, the trolley was hiding in the first class kitchen but was "unable" to sell me any wine or beer because "the card machine is broken" I offered cash, but that was no good either.

Perhaps you were supposed to pay in jam jars...

(Sorry - a line from a comedy record by Sandy Powell from the 1930s - "Sandy the Tram Conductor." After an altercation with a customer who wanted to pay for a penny ticket with four farthings, the next passenger got the line "and how do you want to pay? Jam jars?}
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: July 08, 2019, 21:47:07 »

For the benefit of our younger members, a farthing was one quarter of an OLD penny, or a nine hundred and sixtyieth part of a pound.
A small "copper" coin with a picture of a wren on one side.

Prices in shops often ended in "and eleven-three" meaning eleven old pence and three farthings. The shopkeeper hoped that "six shillings and eleven three" would sound a lot less than seven shillings.
These odd prices also allegedly reduced dishonesty among shop staff.

Banks only kept accounts in pounds, shillings and whole pence. So cheques could not include half pennies or farthings.

The purchasing power of a penny today is a lot less than a farthing was worth.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: July 09, 2019, 20:23:42 »

For the benefit of our younger members, a farthing was one quarter of an OLD penny, or a nine hundred and sixtyieth part of a pound.
A small "copper" coin with a picture of a wren on one side.

I am obliged to you.

Now, please!
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 17, 2019, 18:14:40 »

I haven't been able to find out anymore details yet, but as I was waiting on the train alongside, staff were laying up what appeared to be a Saturday Pullman service on the 08:35 London Paddington to Paignton service (although crew shortages meant it was only going as far as Exeter St David's).

(Apologies for the poor photo but it was through two sets of coach windows.)
A member of GWR (Great Western Railway) staff told me someone has paid for this service on Saturdays to entertain clients !!  Shocked Shocked
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 17, 2019, 20:58:33 »

Splendid. I am rather impressed that GWR (Great Western Railway) were able to do this.

mjray

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 31, 2019, 11:56:26 »

As I recall, in days gone by the buffet car was rarely a very well-patronised place. [...anecdotes...]
So one has to ask the question is the buffet car profitable enough to keep or not? And I am afraid that the answer to that is probably in the negative. Given that no TOC (Train Operating Company) (or TOC in their right mind, anyway) is going to give up a profitable income stream just for the sheer hell of it, we must at least consider this.
Shouldn't we consider why that might be and what might have changed? Given that some other train operators have recently ordered new trains with buffets, why is GWR (Great Western Railway) struggling? Could it be something to do with the years-long understaffing and inconsistent service having now damaged reputation to the point where GWR non-premium on-board catering is regarded as only an improbable last-chance Hail Mary when you've failed to buy elsewhere?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: July 31, 2019, 13:11:27 »

For years FGW (First Great Western) and GWR (Great Western Railway) have not appeared to take catering seriously, with unreliable provision and I suspect a certain amount of attempted withdrawal by stealth.

There were various efforts to get rid off buffets, including removing the buffet car to increase performance, or add extra charter minutes. Then microbuffets replaced proper buffets on some services, including long distance trains when the wrong sort of train was sent.
Then we had a spate of closed buffets.

And then the steady run down of Pullman dining, from 10 trains a day in each direction to two in each direction at the low point. Whilst Pullman services are now taken more seriously than say 10 years ago, they are still lass frequent than was the case. Pullman services were withdrawn "temporarily" after the Hatfield accident. Most never returned.

Even the travelling chef service could have worked if properly run and provided reliably. All too often it consisted of a counter service of toasted sandwiches in a cardboard box, rather than the promised menu.
The travelling chef was also offered as a downgraded alternative on services that should have had a Pullman, rather than being an improvement over a buffet.

GWR have done their best to sabotage the already basic and minimal trolley service.
Trolley in other portion of a 10 car train.
No trolley
Static trolley.
Hiding in first class.

Advocates of the new trains pointed out how wonderous the trolley would be, and are presumably now suggesting that a static trolley is EVEN BETTER !

As GWR have said "no way" regarding bringing back buffets, hopefully a better operator might take over and allow buffets.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: July 31, 2019, 13:21:23 »

As GWR (Great Western Railway) have said "no way" regarding bringing back buffets, hopefully a better operator might take over and allow buffets.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Whoever gets to run the next GW (Great Western) franchise will want to make money. Bringing back buffets will cost money and that's if Dft even let them do that.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: July 31, 2019, 14:04:52 »

Advocates of the new trains pointed out how wonderous the trolley would be, and are presumably now suggesting that a static trolley is EVEN BETTER !

You keep saying that you're presuming that we're suggesting that, but I don't think anyone actually is?

A 'static trolley' should be a very last resort when a train is too full.  The facilities to stable and serve from the trolley in the centre of the train (as well as heat urns and so on) is a useful feature on an IET (Intercity Express Train), but sadly crowding is currently often used as an excuse to literally 'set up shop' there.

We are being told that catering sales are up since the removal of the buffet - but I would like to see a detailed breakdown of the figures.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 31, 2019, 14:18:24 »

A 'static trolley' should be a very last resort when a train is too full.  The facilities to stable and serve from the trolley in the centre of the train (as well as heat urns and so on) is a useful feature on an IET (Intercity Express Train), but sadly crowding is currently often used as an excuse to literally 'set up shop' there.

But is it? The train I was on on Monday (1A19 1356 from Chippenmham) was delayed a bit, but still had plenty of seats free, and yet had a static trolley announced.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: July 31, 2019, 14:30:43 »

But is it? The train I was on on Monday (1A19 1356 from Chippenmham) was delayed a bit, but still had plenty of seats free, and yet had a static trolley announced.

That's what I'm saying.  If used properly and under the right circumstances it is a useful facility, but too often (like you describe) crowding is used as an excuse when it isn't actually the case, and staff park up there regardless. 

Sometimes it can be more justified - if you have a 9-car and you are on your own then you are doing first class duties as well, and finding time to do that properly as well as do a trolley service throughout the train can be a big ask.  It's easier to park the trolley in the storage facility and open it up for service as and when you can.  That is better for the first class customer as the old way was to say, "If you want anything then you'll have to come and get it from the buffet", but it's not as good for the standard class customer.  The answer there is to provide enough staff of course.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: