07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:08:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 628299 times)
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: August 14, 2019, 12:36:26 »

The weekend offering has significantly improved recently. I was on a service from Paddington up to Gloucester and we only had a single Customer Host who prioritised the first class trolley. Same drinks were offered as per weekday but you also have an offer of a snack box which are available in vegan and gluten free format.

I don’t see how “preparing for a short form/lack of catering” is needed, short forms are a lot less likely now and despite the word of some members catering isn’t often unavailable..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 14, 2019, 12:39:37 »

The trolley service has certainly climbed several steps upwards recently.  There's a few more steps still to climb mind you.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 14, 2019, 13:05:43 »

I don’t see how “preparing for a short form/lack of catering” is needed, short forms are a lot less likely now and despite the word of some members catering isn’t often unavailable..
Short form is less likely, but there's still good chance you get a 5+5 rather than a 9 turn up, and the trolley only in one of the two units...
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 14, 2019, 19:02:42 »

I thought thar the snack box offered in First over the weekend when I travelled to London a few weeks back was good. Also tried the gluten free version and was pretty impressed. No sweet stuff in the GF (Ground Frame) box though. I suppose that’s the point of making it the healthy option.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 14, 2019, 19:56:14 »

What is the paid for drinks service like these days, weekdays in first class ?

My two most recent experiences were rather unfavourable, but I travel less these days so my experiences might not be representative.
Hoping for some paid for gin, with some free orange juice and hopefully some ice cubes.

And with winter assuredly approaching, perhaps coffee with brandy Smiley Or even hot chocolate with brandy, not for myself but I know someone who greatly enjoys this.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 19, 2019, 13:21:28 »

Loving the new catering. On a Paignton-Paddington service with no proper food available. No staff at all until Exeter then no sandwiches (which we only discover as the trolley appears at Castle Cary).

If GWRs (Great Western Railway) strategy is to run down the service then I’d suggest it’s doing a good job.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 19, 2019, 15:41:10 »

It will all get much better.
About 2 years ago, Ben Rule re-assured us that the trolley service would be splendid and a great improvement on buffets.
More recently Mark Hopwood re-re-assured us that it will all get much better.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 19, 2019, 15:51:54 »

It has got a lot better in the last few months.  Still a long, long, long way to go though!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 19, 2019, 16:05:07 »

I absolutely love Nature Valley Oat biscuits, so when I saw them on the trolley the other day it was almost as exciting as the Pullman service!
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #1509 on: August 19, 2019, 18:49:33 »

Last Saturday on a 9 car Plymouth- London (08.30 Newton Abbot). Two trollies in operation. 1 in 1st class and 1 in standard. There was a luggage steward in a green hivi and a ticket inspector/train manager?

The trolly in standard was static (wheel fault) plugged into a cabinet between coaches with facilities to heat urn. Only hot drinks available was tea, chocolate, and filter coffee with plenty of milk. No sandwiches and could not leave position to get any. Trolly dolly in first class was too busy doing a first class run.

Return was 1803 London-Penzance. 2 x 5cars. Trolly in each unit but only the rear unit was giving out 1st class freebies.
Our trolly came through only offering wine and spirits. Later he set up a static trolly between coach B &C and announced on the tannoy when we could come for hot drinks and when he would be closing and reopening, probably for his meal relief.

Another thing with these static trollies a queue builds up blocking back into the carriage.

Another oddity on this train was no ticket checking at Paddington because it was platform 9, on the train, or at Newton Abbot where the ticket barriers were closed off.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 19, 2019, 19:56:31 »

Another oddity on this train was no ticket checking at Paddington because it was platform 9, on the train, or at Newton Abbot where the ticket barriers were closed off.

TMs(resolve) are pushed to make more of a presence and monitor the service and revenue has never really been a priority for them.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 20, 2019, 12:38:34 »

Chance to win a meal for two on the GWR (Great Western Railway) Pullman:

https://www.gwr.com/destinations-and-events/competitions/pullman-competition

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 20, 2019, 17:54:29 »

Chance to win a meal for two on the GWR (Great Western Railway) Pullman:

https://www.gwr.com/destinations-and-events/competitions/pullman-competition

I hope nobody else has entered.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 20, 2019, 18:55:32 »

Well I have entered as well. Despite the deluge of spam that will no doubt follow giving my email address to GWR (Great Western Railway).

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 21, 2019, 15:03:19 »

It will all get much better.
About 2 years ago, Ben Rule re-assured us that the trolley service would be splendid and a great improvement on buffets.
More recently Mark Hopwood re-re-assured us that it will all get much better.

I thought the sandwiches I ate on my last trip were pretty awful. That's the last time I take my own.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: