Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:36 Liskeard to Looe
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:08 Looe to Liskeard
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:36 Liskeard to Looe
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:41:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629165 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: January 24, 2021, 01:05:58 »

For a large formal dinner, a decanter holding two or more bottles is useful, a clear glass decanter allows the waiters to observe how much remains.

Or doesn't remain, in the case of dinners I have occasionally been to.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 06, 2021, 10:57:27 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have stopped all on train catering after a request from the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) over concerns about how it can be delivered in a Covid secure way. 

Some on-train catering has now been reintroduced.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 22, 2021, 20:07:02 »

With todays announcement that the end of lockdown is within sight, do GWR (Great Western Railway) have any firm plans to reintroduce catering ?

Not just yet of course, but time to plan perhaps.

To offer Pullman dining on the same number of trains, and of a similar standard to that offered before the pandemic.

To offer a proper trolley service, reliably provided in both portions of every train, and passing each seat within 30 minutes of departure and at intervals no longer than every 30 minutes thereafter.

Not static (except on overcrowded trains)
Not hiding in first class.
Not hiding in the kitchen.
Not "closed for stocktaking"

A proper buffet would be preferable, but GWR have already said "no way" to that.

What I naturally suspect is that the pandemic will an excellent excuse to make more downgrades.
(Remember the Hatfield accident ? ALL Pullmans withdrawn as a result, and most never re-appeared)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1593 on: February 22, 2021, 20:15:48 »

With todays announcement that the end of lockdown is within sight, do GWR (Great Western Railway) have any firm plans to reintroduce catering ? ...

I'm sure we'll get an answer in due course ... for the moment, we have a promise to ensure that any school-critical trains not running at the moment will be restarted for the return to school:

Dear Graham

Following the Prime Minister’s confirmation this afternoon that all schools and colleges will return on Monday 8 March, I wanted to reassure you all our key school and college services will be operating.

Many are already running, but where they are not, we will have the reinstated in time to support students, pupils and returning staff.

Over the last year, we have worked closely with colleges and schools as well as our colleagues on mapping these services, and I am grateful to them for their help in this vital piece of work.  If there are any services that you would like to specifically check are included, do let me know and we will check for you.

As restrictions ease over the course of the coming months and more passengers return to the railway, we will continue to restore services to our timetable. We will of course keep you updated on our plans but should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes

Mark

I will be writing up a few things tomorrow and putting up a "returning" thread.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: February 23, 2021, 06:56:00 »

With todays announcement that the end of lockdown is within sight, do GWR (Great Western Railway) have any firm plans to reintroduce catering ?

To offer Pullman dining on the same number of trains, and of a similar standard to that offered before the pandemic.

To offer a proper trolley service, reliably provided in both portions of every train, and passing each seat within 30 minutes of departure and at intervals no longer than every 30 minutes thereafter.

Not static (except on overcrowded trains)
Not hiding in first class.
Not hiding in the kitchen.
Not "closed for stocktaking"

A proper buffet would be preferable, but GWR have already said "no way" to that.

What I naturally suspect is that the pandemic will an excellent excuse to make more downgrades.
(Remember the Hatfield accident ? ALL Pullmans withdrawn as a result, and most never re-appeared)

I'm sure the culinary railway needs of Broadgage are foremost in the Prime Minister's mind, albeit competing with relieving pressure on the NHS, reopening schools and trying to save the economy.........
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 23, 2021, 16:18:01 »

I very much doubt that the PM is aware of my fondness for on train catering.
The NHS, and education are indeed higher priorities than on train catering, both before the pandemic and afterwards.

That however should not mean that train catering should be ignored on the grounds that "The NHS is more important"
And as for the "wider economy" I would argue that catering on trains is a PART of that wider economy that should be re-opened  as soon as is prudent.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 22, 2021, 11:19:51 »

Current plans are to reintrduce the Pullman service by the middle of June.  I'm not sure whether that is a phased reintroduction, or a full reintroduction, or whether the full menu will be available...etc.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1597 on: April 22, 2021, 11:48:07 »

Current plans are to reintrduce the Pullman service by the middle of June.  I'm not sure whether that is a phased reintroduction, or a full reintroduction, or whether the full menu will be available...etc.

But will there be port, man, will there be port??!...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 22, 2021, 12:01:25 »

But will there be port, man, will there be port??!...

Well done for getting that in before TG had the chance.  Cheesy

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 23, 2021, 02:00:07 »

Whilst I am pleased to hear of the planned return of Pullman services, I don't really trust GWR (Great Western Railway)  about catering.
I can hear the weasel words already.

"A phased return" that never progresses beyond the first phase.
"We are exploring alternative dining formats" such as reheated airline tray meals.
"A more accessible service" I.E. not a proper restaurant.
"Unfortunately the relaunch was not successful" we tried it on three trains without telling anyone, a bit like the famous hot food from the trolley.

Previous events do not fill me with confidence.

Carrying out a survey that showed buffets were no longer wanted, AFTER the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) were specified without a buffet. No doubt then as to what answer was required from the survey.

All the promises made about the wonderful new trolley service, NONE  of which were achieved.

And even the downgraded and very basic trolley service was so often in the other unit, closed for stocktaking, hiding in first class, or completely absent, that a general view was that "the new trains dont have catering" is in practice justified.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 23, 2021, 10:08:14 »

Being realistic we are now in a completely new era and it’ll more than likely be down to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) or whatever government organisation takes over the DfT’s responsibilities.

If it’s losing a lot of money and they don’t wish to pay for it then it will probably not last long. If it does reasonably well (like it was before the pandemic) it will likely survive.

I think it’s chances of survival are sadly less than those of the other GWR (Great Western Railway) niche product, the Night Riviera sleeper, as that has the benefit of having more of a political importance given it provides an important link to Devon and Cornwall.  In other words I would expect the DfT to continue to subsidise that ahead of the Pullman.

It’s positive news that they are at least going to try and resume it...it would have been much easier to quietly drop it.  Longer term prospects?  We’ll have to wait and see...

Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #1601 on: April 23, 2021, 13:48:45 »

Yes indeed the sleeper des have good political clout, but there is also a fair deal of political support  in Devon and Cornwall for the  Pullman.  Hopefully the Golden Hind title might return as well.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 23, 2021, 17:43:42 »

Being realistic we are now in a completely new era and it’ll more than likely be down to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) or whatever government organisation takes over the DfT’s responsibilities.

If it’s losing a lot of money and they don’t wish to pay for it then it will probably not last long. If it does reasonably well (like it was before the pandemic) it will likely survive.

I think it’s chances of survival are sadly less than those of the other GWR (Great Western Railway) niche product, the Night Riviera sleeper, as that has the benefit of having more of a political importance given it provides an important link to Devon and Cornwall.  In other words I would expect the DfT to continue to subsidise that ahead of the Pullman.

It’s positive news that they are at least going to try and resume it...it would have been much easier to quietly drop it.  Longer term prospects?  We’ll have to wait and see...

I suspect that the "New World" of mass remote working will dent demand for the Sleeper somewhat - AIUI (as I understand it) the main demand was towards London on Sunday evening and heading West on Friday - there'll be fewer people working the 5 day pattern fitting that - however that said, it might be somewhat offset by more long distance workers who take advantage of only being in the London office one day a week to move permanently to the South West and use it for that day to ensure an early start?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 23, 2021, 18:14:20 »

Yes, I don’t think we’ll know how it’ll pan out for quite a while, but all eventualities are possible.

hstch

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 24, 2021, 11:11:13 »

Have heard from someone within GWR (Great Western Railway) that a full trolley service will return at the next timetable change and the Pullman services will be returning in June
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: