Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:59:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629174 times)
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: April 25, 2021, 20:03:33 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have stopped all on train catering after a request from the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) over concerns about how it can be delivered in a Covid secure way. 

Some on-train catering has now been reintroduced.
My wife was pleasantly surprised by this yesterday. Weekend box and a cup of tea!

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 12, 2021, 13:57:18 »

I hear that the PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) Pullman Dining service is being relaunched on Monday 14 June on the following trains.
* 1A86 - 13.15; Plymouth to Paddington.
* 1C94 - 19.04; Paddington to Plymouth.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 13, 2021, 23:04:34 »

Whilst I am pleased to hear of this, it is regrettable that the GWR (Great Western Railway) website still refers to "Pullman dining being being suspended until further notice" which will not encourage patronage.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 14, 2021, 09:00:33 »

On the Pullman page it doesn’t say that: https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/pullman-dining

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 14, 2021, 10:12:50 »

On the Pullman page it doesn’t say that: https://www.gwr.com/travelling-with-us/pullman-dining

No, but the booking engine won't let you search for a train - with no explanation. And AFAICS (As Far As I Can See) there is no route via links on the site to that Pulman page anyway. The on-board catering page, which ought to, doesn't mention Pulmans - and from some pages the page-foot link to "on-board services" lead to a "page does not exist". Not a shining example of the webmaster's art, really.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 14, 2021, 10:20:49 »

I navigated to it by selecting ‘Travelling with us’ and then ‘Pullman Dining’ from the main website.

Information could be much clearer I admit, but there is a soft launch today so presumably if that goes well then over the coming weeks it will be advertised properly?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 14, 2021, 18:09:42 »

Did the Pullman appear on the up train ?
And is it likely to appear on the down service which is due to leave in under an hour.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 14, 2021, 20:58:17 »

It did indeed appear on the 13:15 ex-Plymouth and is advertised as being on the 19:04.

GWR (Great Western Railway) very much wanted to launch this quietly to ensure the necessary new processes were in place before a more high profile unveiling.  I also suspect this week was chosen to get staff up to speed before next week's planned lifting of further restrictions - which has of course now been delayed.

What is being delivered is a simpler menu with less interaction between staff and customers.  Drinks are brought to the table but you pour themselves.  There is no ice or lemon nor the traditional roll and butter.  The food is brought already plated - there isn't silver service.

That does all feel a bit strange but the food once delivered is as good as ever.

The price structure has been changed with a flat rate of £25 for two courses and £30 for three.  Steak is notable by its absence but I gather that is only temporary because of last minute supply problems.  The pricing compares very well with the previous price structure.  (shown here for comparison)

Time for the traditional photos of "what I ate".

Terrine of confit duck & chicken

Pan fried cod loin

Err.. cheese and biscuits

The apple and celeriac remoulade was particularly tasty and the carrot and cumin barley risotto very filling.

So from that point of view a success.

However there are a number of issues GWR will be working on.  The biggest one is the number of diners they can accommodate.  It varies slightly depending on whether the service is formed of 2X five cars or a nine car and whether any tables are laid up in the neighbouring coach.  However in essence you are looking at single figures per service unless you have a number of groups of two travelling together.  For the moment it looks like three or four sitting together, even from the same household, is out due to the requirement to keep the aisle seats free.

There is then the added complication of the seat reservation system.  Currently it is allocating non diners seats in the restaurant area.   There were two today who couldn't really be moved because all the seats in the adjoining first class coach were also reserved.   The service was formed of 2X5 and there were spaces in the first class section at the other end of the train but of course you can only reach them by walking along the platform.  However with luggage and the fact the sets were correctly formed with first class at each end and not in the middle you cannot really expect people to make that sort of hike.

The reduced prices are a bonus and some compensation for the lack of silver service.  I gather the price will be the same when steak is available.  Although on the menu there also isn't any port yet either.

Today there were three members of staff from before the service was suspended, including the chef, with others being trained.  I also gather London staff will be trained with a view to introducing the service on the 13:04 Paddington to Plymouth and the 18:15 return hopefully by the end of the month.

Given the low key launch it was perhaps not surprising that I was the only one dining but I suspect that suited them today as there were issues with the handheld units sales are recorded on.  The whole meal had to be entered in one go at the end and not course by course so if there had been a number dining it would have taken a while to create all the bills.

Track & Trace is in operation if you are dining - although strangely not if you are just sitting in the coach and not eating (or eating your own food).

So overall a pleasant enough experience and full marks to GWR for getting it off the ground.  I do feel they have been caught out slightly by today's decision to delay the further relaxing of restrictions, but if they can get through the next few weeks I can see it becoming more popular.

One big bonus - the ability to travel without wearing a mask for the first time in nearly a year!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: June 14, 2021, 21:34:55 »

No steak Sad
No port  Sad
No silver service  Sad

But as you point out these problems should only be temporary.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 14, 2021, 22:49:31 »

No steak Sad
No port  Sad
No silver service  Sad

No mention of IETs (Intercity Express Train) being unsuited to the job.

You surprise me broadgage!  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: June 15, 2021, 06:40:18 »

No steak Sad
No port  Sad
No silver service  Sad

But as you point out these problems should only be temporary.

Live on the edge a little Broadgage - there is more to dining than steak and chips - give something else a try!

(And take a hip flask!)  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1616 on: June 15, 2021, 07:02:55 »

(And take a hip flask!)  Smiley

Let's see ... not ScotRail, not TfL» (Transport for London - about) ... yes, that would be allowed.  Don't you love the consistency of rail travel!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 15, 2021, 11:15:36 »

Some years ago I had a bottle of red wine with me that I planned to have with a Pullman meal. I was prepared to pay corkage but was told by the team leader I wasn't allowed to drink my own wine while dining aboard. This seemed like a very silly 'rule' as I could drink it anywhere else on the train. My complaining led to me being declined service, followed by a false accusation to the TM(resolve) that I was being 'rude and aggressive'. That saw me booted out at Reading.

The complaint to FGW (First Great Western) led to a personal meeting with the Customer Service Director. Fulsome apologies, confirmation that there was no 'rule' on own drinks while dining, and a free meal. These days I think you'd be okay with your own hip flask full of a decent LBV.

I think the team leader on that occasion was having a bad day.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 16, 2021, 14:24:52 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have now put the menu on the website - https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/menus/pullman-2021/pullman-combined-menu-2021.pdf?la=en

Slightly easier to read than the image posted in my report and includes wines too.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: June 16, 2021, 15:40:19 »

Quite a significant price reduction on what it cost previously then?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: