Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:16:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629204 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: May 10, 2022, 18:33:02 »

The app was talked about in post #1576 and prior to that as well.  Originally hoped to be up and running last Spring.  Don’t think it’s been live trialled yet but looks like it’s still going to happen from what Bob has heard.

Live testing now taking place.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 15, 2022, 20:08:02 »

No catering at all according to the “Guard” on my train down from Hereford to Paddington. Odd given I saw people with what looked like GWR (Great Western Railway) supplied hot drinks in 1st and annoying because I might not have paid for Weekend 1st had I known. It’s not mentioned on GWR Journey Check either.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 24, 2022, 06:38:26 »

It isn't just GWR (Great Western Railway) - I recently survived a 4-hour flight to Cyprus without catering of any kind. It was worse on the way home - they had some, but far from good. In fact, not even edible. Refund, apology, free drink followed.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 31, 2022, 08:04:25 »

There is a new Pullman menu on line.

https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/menus/pullman-set-menu-spring-summer-2022.pdf?la=en

Although not mentioned above, the website says sirloin steak is now available on all evening services for a supplement of £10.

Someone will also notice they now sell port by the bottle!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 31, 2022, 15:43:45 »

A whole bottle sounds a bit excessive for one person but could be more reasonable for a party.
Pity that I travel less these days, largely due to the new trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 08, 2022, 17:07:22 »

Today, bobm and I partook of a GWR (Great Western Railway) Pullman meal between Paddington and Devon. By my reckoning it was the first time in nearly three years I've had the pleasure of fine dining with GWR.

There have been some changes. The menu is these days what one would call, "Table d'Hote". Fixed price for 2 (£30) or 3 (£35) courses. 3 or 4 choices per course, with a £15  supplement for fillet steak, although that option wasn't available to us today.

Bob and I both chose Terrine of Confit Duck & Chicken with Apple & Celeriac Remoulade for starter. To follow, Bob had the Thai Green Curry and I went for Herb Crusted Haddock with Leek, Potato and Tenderstem Broccoli.

Cheese and Biscuits for Bob and a devine Chocolate & Whisky Tiramisu for me.

All washed down with an agreeable couple of bottles of Chenin Blanc, G&Ts and Port.

I happened to mention to the crew that the reason for the Pullman meal was a belated birthday treat for Bob from me. Cue the embarrassing (for Bob) "Happy Birthday" salutation from the Pullman crew, including chef, along with a complimentary Tiramisu and free Port top up for him.

Excellent food, faultless service. Still truly one of the best ways to enjoy travelling by train. If you can find the time, excuse, and money, to dine on a GWR Pullman service then do it.

And finally. The birthday boy with his 'cake'. No lockdown rules broken. No resignation needed. (Belated) Happy Birthday Bob. Goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - A true friend. One in a million.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 08, 2022, 17:19:06 »

And a very nice treat it was.  Thank you.

Probably best I don’t mention we had half a bottle of wine left over which is currently being swigged on an SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service towards Yeovil. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 08, 2022, 17:31:19 »

Probably best I don’t mention we had half a bottle of wine left over which is currently being swigged on an SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service towards Yeovil. 

I have absolutely no idea what bobm is on about.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 08, 2022, 17:42:28 »

That’ll be the wine talking then. 
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 28, 2022, 22:42:34 »

Bit disappointing that they've decided to cancel the Pullman dining car tomorrow (Friday 29 July), even though no union is actually on strike that day. Doesn't bode well for Friday 19th August, when I was contemplating making a booking for, with the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) getting their braziers out on the days either side.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 29, 2022, 20:19:04 »

It isn't just GWR (Great Western Railway) - I recently survived a 4-hour flight to Cyprus without catering of any kind. It was worse on the way home - they had some, but far from good. In fact, not even edible. Refund, apology, free drink followed.

I recently used easyJet Holidays for a weeks break in Crete and they were advising in advance that they may not be able to provide hot food in flight. So our solution was sandwiches at Boots Gatwick (There was a massive queue to get into Wetherspoons) & a steak and chips meal at our resort before the flight home.

Crisps, snacks & coffee were available plus obviously the Duty Free trolley which I have absolutely no interest in.

Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 28, 2023, 00:19:16 »

I did the 16.15 PZ - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) throughout the other day and did the Pullman Dining between Plymouth and Paddington and great it was to. Unfortunately only seven people were dining which isn't much for a crew of 3/4? I'm also fairly surprised they don't have dedicated sets for the Pullman services as for only six services - two from and to the West Country and one to and from South Wales, there must be an awful lot of unused kitchens on IETs (Intercity Express Train)? Some of those kitchens could possibly be used for other things (luggage, buffet car (if you move things around))? I do take the point that if you start taking out kitchens completely on IETs then that means that hot food for trolleys (as originally proposed) will then probably never be a reality on those particular sets.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 29, 2023, 07:29:06 »

One of the alleged merits of the IETs (Intercity Express Train) was that every train has a full kitchen, and that there was therefore no question of Pullman cancellations due too "wrong sort of train"
And of course hot food in cattle class from the wonderfully improved trolley service.

The hot food has sunk without trace, and plenty of other reasons found to cancel Pullmans.

Time to build some proper intercity trains for long distance services and then use the wretched IETs on secondary services and outer suburban routes for which they are more suited.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1723 on: April 29, 2023, 09:00:36 »

Hitachi own the trains. They may not want the kitchens changed/removed
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 30, 2023, 09:40:48 »

Unfortunately only seven people were dining which isn't much for a crew of 3/4?

I travelled to the South West on Friday and there were 11 of us dining on the lunchtime service.

It has been a while since I had a meal on board and the menu is slightly different to the sample one shown on the website.

Starter was a very nice crab & haddock salad with a lemon mayonnaise

Other choices were a lentil and paprika soup, a Singapore chicken satay salad or chargrilled artichoke and sweet potato.

As I have got older I have found my appetite getting smaller so a five ounce fillet steak suits me well but may not be sufficient for all.

Other choices were quinoa stuffed pepper, saffron haddock or roasted chicken supreme

I will always go for cheese and biscuits when it is available in a restaurant but there was also a rich chocolate torte or bread and butter pudding available.

As mentioned higher up this thread the meals are now priced per the number of courses (£32.50 for two or £37.50 for three) although there is a premium for the steak.  As this thread (and my waist) will attest my bills in the Pullman since the change came in have been reduced despite rampant inflation.  Agreed the service has changed in that there is no silver service with the main course; it arrives already plated but the food is till excellent.

,,and of course there are the everchanging views

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116
  Print  

Jump to: