Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:19:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 629282 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 20:27:12 »

Barry Doe has published his annual "subjective catering survey" (based on his own travel experiences, I believe) in the most recent edition of RAIL, and FGW (First Great Western) come out of it pretty well. He has certainly been critical of the catering offered in the past, but in the current article has rated Travelling Chef, Travelling Chef Select and Pullman dining with an overall score of 8.3/10, including 10/10 for food quality and value for money, the best scores of any franchised operator.

This certainly seems to reflect my experience - since that start of the year Travelling Chefs seem to have been much more reliable in terms of appearing on the advertised services, and as I've said elsewhere before I really like the current menu.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 20:39:41 »

I certainly rate the Travelling Chef option, though I hope his highlighting what good value the omelettes are doesn't encourage FGW (First Great Western) to first the price up.

It was interesting how Hull Trains were slated. It would appear that like everything else about their service, since First took a grip on the operation it's been downhill all the way.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 21:15:03 »

Should be a new chef menu soon.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 23:30:22 »

Here's hoping they don't mess with the breakfast platter or the breakfast club sandwiches... two of the finest concoctions known to man IMHO (in my humble opinion).
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 23:45:01 »

I only ever see a breakfast Travelling Chef (TC(resolve)) and I'm not impressed.

Apart from fresh fruit there is little that suits if one is on a diet.

Bagel and jam would be a nice option - they have bagels how much would it cost to have some jam/marmalade portions.

99% certain the omlettes are cooked in oil/butter and not a no stick pan

I know, I know - ita aimed at occasional travel and not daily commute but I would be happy to have brekkie every day if the above were possible. Even if I bring my own jam it an be quite a chore explaining to the new breed of CH (mainly eastern europeans) that you wan JUST THE BAGEL and nothing else

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:49:59 by VickiS » Logged

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 00:16:36 »

I certainly rate the Travelling Chef option, though I hope his highlighting what good value the omelettes are doesn't encourage FGW (First Great Western) to first the price up.

It was interesting how Hull Trains were slated. It would appear that like everything else about their service, since First took a grip on the operation it's been downhill all the way.

I think that's what's called a cheap shot. The problems are, yet again, Adelante-related. HT (Hull Trains)'s catering offer had to change because an Adelante only has a buffet, whereas the Pioneers have a small kitchen in the first class driving coach. HT's refurbishment plans for the 180s include moving first class into one of the driving coaches and fitting kitchen gear as part of this work so they can serve hot meals again.

I hardly think that First Group, which Mr Doe describes as now having the best catering offer of a franchise operator in the shape of FGW and which also scores well for the Scotrail sleepers' meals, wants to let its other long-haul operation be the worst of the bunch, especially when HT was usually highly rated in the survey when Mr Doe travelled on Pioneer services.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 00:20:10 »

I only ever see a breakfast TC(resolve) and I'm not impressed.

There's also a yogurt and granola pot for GBP2.25. or porridge (not sure if that strictly counts as healthy) for GBP2.75. For a healthy option, the yogurt and granola actually looks quite edible...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 00:33:02 »

... or the Vegetarian blaguette, as it's rather interestingly described, on the FGW (First Great Western) website:

Vegetarian blaguette (v)
(Halloumi cheese, mushroom, 2 eggs scrambled and tomato)                                                 ^6.25

Sorry, that was probably another cheap shot.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 00:33:23 »

There's also a yogurt and granola pot for GBP2.25. or porridge (not sure if that strictly counts as healthy) for GBP2.75. For a healthy option, the yogurt and granola actually looks quite edible...

Porridge = grits (been to the south recently?),  And we'll know you gone to the dark side when you like biscuits and gravy (for the non US aware think fluffy scones with white sauce over them)

Yeah - but do you know 200ml of non fat free yoghurt (about the size of  muller light pots) is about 250 calories alone - add in the granola for another 250 and you have over 1/3 of my daily allowance for something  that fills for about 2 hours.  A bagel and jam clocks in at about 270 calories in comparison.

What is healthy is not always low in calories and I do think FGW (First Great Western) should - like I think al restaurants should - publish calorie content on heir menus

I am not a nanny state person but eating on the run is a night mare

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 00:46:01 »

Porridge (or grits) would be healthy if made with skimmed milk - but I bet its one size fit all at best semi skim

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:13:38 »

I am not a nanny state person ...

Eh ??  Shocked Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 01:15:22 »

The nanny state wants lettuce meals available always

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 02:04:24 »

The nanny state wants lettuce meals available always

and free diet coke for all!  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 22:09:50 »

Although I would agree that the pullman service is excellent, it is only available on four trains a day, and two of those are liable to be withdrawn in the next timetable change.

The travelling chef service has its good points, but is largely what used to be called a hot buffet.
The advertised table service in First seldom appears, and the extensive sounding menu is often in practice downgraded to toasted sandwiches only.

The hull trains catering has certainly been badly downgraded since the introduction of new trains, but that is to be expected.
New trains normally have worse catering than old ones, and also less legroom and reduced luggage space, this is known as progress !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 23:12:21 »

The travelling chef service has its good points, but is largely what used to be called a hot buffet.
The advertised table service in First seldom appears, and the extensive sounding menu is often in practice downgraded to toasted sandwiches only.

The hull trains catering has certainly been badly downgraded since the introduction of new trains, but that is to be expected.
New trains normally have worse catering than old ones, and also less legroom and reduced luggage space, this is known as progress !

Whilst I've experienced the problems you describe with the travelling chef in the past, my more recent experience has been far superior with first class table service operating reliably and a full menu consistently available.

And you can't generalize about all new trains having less room than old ones; the Adelantes were very generous in this respect and the First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) refurbishment has better legroom than the BR (British Rail(ways)) interior (this isn't a subject for debate, it's factually correct). Yes there have been horrors like the Voyagers introduced but the same body shell with a different interior specification gave us the Meridians as used by EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) which are very pleasant trains to travel in.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:52:02 by VickiS » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: