Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 18:39:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 632671 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 10:06:04 »

I reckon travelling Chef is pretty good.  Not too expensive (cf cup of tea with fake milk for ^1.60!) and on journeys of less than two hours a full restaurant isn't really needed.

IFAIR, TC(resolve) is not a franchise commitment so FGW (First Great Western) should be congratulated for doing it at a time when other TOCs (Train Operating Company) are downgrading catering much further.

A plea to any FGW managers reading would be to a) publicise this service better, and b) keep up the consistancy with no more chopping and changing.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 11:55:54 »

There are also some mouth watering new options on the Pullman menu; always amazes me that such high quality fare can be prepared in a kitchen moving at upwards of 100mph. Paddington to Bristol via Taunton or Exeter for a slap up lunch coming up, methinks!

I think that you will be out of luck !
"Paddington to Bristol for a slap up lunch" Only two trains from Paddington have a Pullman, the 18-03 and the 19-03, no more lunchtime pullmans regretably.
Unless of course you know something I dont about re-instating any Pullmans.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 12:04:18 »

And you can't generalize about all new trains having less room than old ones; the Adelantes were very generous in this respect and the First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) refurbishment has better legroom than the BR (British Rail(ways)) interior (this isn't a subject for debate, it's factually correct). Yes there have been horrors like the Voyagers introduced but the same body shell with a different interior specification gave us the Meridians as used by EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) which are very pleasant trains to travel in.

I find your statement that the recent First Great Western (FGW) High Speed Train (HST) refurbishment has more legroom the BR interior to be suprising, but would defer to your superior knowledge re this.
However it is beyond doubt that the refurbishment resulted in less leg room, less luggage space and fewer table than existed before the work.

I also remember the High Speed Train (HST)s being a backward step in terms of total train length, and space per passenger, over the loco-hauled stock used previosly.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:43:11 by VickiS » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 13:43:38 »

[quote author=inspector_blakey link=topic=5508.msg52535#msg52535 I find your statement that the recent FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) refurbishment has more legroom the the BR (British Rail(ways)) interior to be suprising, but would defer to your superior knowledge re this.

It is certainly true that the First Great Western (FGW) High Speed Train (HST) refurb squeezed more seats in not by reducing leg room (and that is a good thing at least), but by making the seats more upright and thinner (IMO (in my opinion), OK on short trips, not so good for more than a couple of hours)'

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 22:43:47 by VickiS » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 15:02:16 »

Yum

Ribs
5 meaty ribs in a tasty BBQ sauce                                                    ^5.95

Shame the omelette has gone up, I was going to get one, seems ill have to pay more!!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 18:04:56 »

Not since February they haven't, when Turbos took over the weekday Worcester and Malvern off-peak diagrams they weren't already covering. Why do you keep repeating this old, tired, inaccurate statement?

But if they are Turbos, my original argument about there being no First Class standard seats/freebies is comes into play! Cheesy Roll Eyes
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 21:48:07 »

There are also some mouth watering new options on the Pullman menu; always amazes me that such high quality fare can be prepared in a kitchen moving at upwards of 100mph. Paddington to Bristol via Taunton or Exeter for a slap up lunch coming up, methinks!

I think that you will be out of luck !
"Paddington to Bristol for a slap up lunch" Only two trains from Paddington have a Pullman, the 18-03 and the 19-03, no more lunchtime pullmans regretably.
Unless of course you know something I dont about re-instating any Pullmans.

Ooops. My bad. I was of course referring to those two services and should've said dinner. Could be lunch in the other direction though on the 1200 and 1255 ex Plymouth.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 23:21:10 »

Not since February they haven't, when Turbos took over the weekday Worcester and Malvern off-peak diagrams they weren't already covering. Why do you keep repeating this old, tired, inaccurate statement?

But if they are Turbos, my original argument about there being no First Class standard seats/freebies is comes into play! Cheesy Roll Eyes

I wasn't referring to your previous post - I was referring to the one repeating a tired, inaccurate statement, rather like the ones you kept posting about poor punctuality, long after FGW (First Great Western) was hitting its targets.

As for your previous post, the Cotswold Line is a completely different kettle of fish from Virgin's Birmingham route. Of course there are lots of Virgin advance tickets - they have a train with 439 seats to fill every 20 minutes between Birmingham and London - almost a third of those seats are first class, so they have to find ways to fill them.

The Cotswold Line has roughly one train an hour off peak, with 250 or 470 seats to fill, most of which are likely to be full on the Oxford-London leg of the journey anyway, so FGW don't need to go to great lengths - or great discounts - to fill seats.

Where FGW offers higher frequencies and has more seats to fill, eg Bristol and South Wales to London, then it too offers advances.

And most people's journey choices are dictated by the need to get somewhere, not what food and drink, whether 'free' or not, may be on offer along the way. Chiltern manage perfectly well without first class, or any sort of catering offer for most of the day - or have you gone off them too?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 05:24:17 »

I have just perused the new winter Travelling Chef menu. Looks good (despite the odd smelling pistake. Blinins? Blaguette?) Quite a variety and not overly expensive. May have to find an excuse to travel first class in the near future, as some of the options look quite difficult to eat out of a cardboard box!

Prices still fairly reasonable (even with the omlette increase!) There are also some mouth watering new options on the Pullman menu; always amazes me that such high quality fare can be prepared in a kitchen moving at upwards of 100mph. Paddington to Bristol via Taunton or Exeter for a slap up lunch coming up, methinks!

If journey planners are to be believed, it would appear that one of the two up Pullmans (1200 ex PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)) is being withdrawn from the December timetable change leaving just the 1255 ex PLY. The down services (1803 & 1903 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) still show as running. Don't know how this is being worked re: staff rostering.

Can anyone confirm that the 1200 up Pullman is being withdrawn?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 15:43:07 »

It would not suprise me if the Pullman on the 12-00 is to be withdrawn, the long term trend seems to be roughly one less restaurant per timetable change.

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 17:51:52 »

avoid the ham and cheese panini at all costs! its not horrible its just tasteless and rubbery and its not even a panini its a bagette made from dodge bread made worse by the microwave, sorry fgw but somethings need reporting
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 18:43:16 »

avoid the ham and cheese panini at all costs! its not horrible its just tasteless and rubbery and its not even a panini its a bagette made from dodge bread made worse by the microwave, sorry fgw but somethings need reporting

Add to that the nuked cheeseburger that drips grease down your arm.  The mozarella and basil panini also suffers from the same flaws as the ham and cheese.

However if you do want something hot, those nuker bowls of chilli stuff arent bad! And quite low in calories.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 19:04:20 »

Yes but thats not from the travelling chef though.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 20:56:22 »

....its a bagette made from......

Don't you mean 'blaguette'?  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 22:40:07 »

Aaah. Those buffet paninis. There was a brief period after the refurb when they were cooked in a proper panini oven thingy and were very good (I ate them on at least two occasions - the breakfast one was quite impressive). Then the breakfast paninis disappeared, possibly along with the ovens. And it's been hot floppy bread in a plastic bag ever since. Eaurgh.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: